Sign in to follow this  
miles-militis

Somali Gangs

Call it what you will, but the future looks very bleak if these statements have any truth to them.

Is the Twin Cities unique in this cultural unheaval? Or are other Somali inhabited cities equally troubled? How is London coping with this problem? Is it 'cos of the cultural disparity amongst host nations that precipitates the fall of the immigrant youths into the pits? How are the Scandanavian communities faring? Is Australia any better, or are we adopting the culture of the Aborigines there too? Is the West Indies culture prevalent in London and in Toronto?

And why?

"I do respect the notion that these males are caught between two cultures. But that idea only goes so far. When given the opportunity to come to this country for a fresh start, one can pick any sub-culture to attach to. A lot of young Somali males attach themselves to the worst America has to offer, the rough gang-thug Hip-Hop culture. Wearing their pants around their knees and referring to each other as “Niggas.” This is fundamentally wrong at any level, by any group, especially new immigrants. This is a choice that these young men make on their own" Erik R. Bergling, KingsleyBergling & Associates L.L.C

http://www.pulsetc.com/article.php?sid=857

king_450   

What is with this State "Mind-So- Daah", every time you turn around you hear all these Killings, Rape, Teen Pregnancy, and the worst of it, here comes Somali Teen who are Gangster. Don't their Friends and Relatives Told these Lost teens that to become a gangster is nothing more than Pimping in the Western Culture in its worst form.

As the person above me said these boys are lost between two cultures. Should they find the right balance between these and never lose sight of their religion and allah than should have no problem in succeeding in this life.

Macalin   

While i was in mpls this past months, i was shocked to see young boys hanging around the malls bragging abt how they have guns and what not,and the worst i heard this police talk to this old man...."Cali is in custody, Mowlid is being hunted down, and liban has a court date'...i was like.....What??....

And then theres the gang @cedar whoa now thse i woulnt mess with them, the police are even scared of them...

King this kids have parents who love them, laakin they are too much for a parent and the parents jst gave UP...can u imagine a kid sayin to his...'shut the f***K UP niggga'?? nadartu dhaayaheyga aan saaraY.

Somali gangs!?

Lakkad, lol

SXB, those very kids who brag 'bout they slang or they got clips is the first down to duck down. I seen it time and again. Somali only wanna front for Somali. Bring in the Blacks or the Ethiopians, and Somali niggas is actin' like pussies. Adiga un u fiirso. Ajinabi haday arkaan cagtay wax ka dayaan.

All dat gangsta shyt started in Killa Kali (West Coast)! What MPLS is dealin' wit today, we was dealin' wit in '93 in tha hoods of S.D. Besides, most of the refugees in MPLS is from Toronto or Ottawa. So when did Canadians become hard? :eek:

Dre said 'I'm coo wit eses who got cases n AKs'

WesT CoasT bLue'D uP

Mowgli   

Asalaama Alaikum

I know this topic relates to the Nomads in the USA, but I have to say I was very shocked in what I saw when I went to London this weekend!

On Friday, around 8pm, I was out with a friend, we were at a bus-stop waiting for another friend to come and pick us up...to my surprise I first heard a group of ppl shouting in Somali, then we saw a group of Somali youth around the ages of 14-19, there was about 12 of them, at first they were just shouting loud, then came the obscenities, then followed by the harassment of walkers by.

My friend and I sat at the bus-stop in awe and watched them as they went into a shop that was closing, steal from it and run away (whilst being chased by the shop keeper), in their attempt to get away, two were nearly hit by a car, but they got up laughing and continued running for the approaching bus.

As this wasn't bad enough, the following evening my friends and I decided to cut through the park as it was really cold (buses in London being so unreliable and all). It was after 6pm, already magrib...anyways we continued to the end of the park, there were still one or two ppl around. But as we got near the end, we saw 5 or 6 ppl crowded around one person. As we got closer we could tell the guy on the floor had been repeatedly beaten up. Two of my friends ran up shouting (hoping it would cause them to flee), and alhumdullilah they did (plus we knew it were Somalis from the repeated use of the word "waryaa" and "walaahi"). But what made it worse was that two of the guys remained behind, and to my surprise, it was the brother of some guy we knew :eek: ! We asked him what did you do that for?? As the kid on the floor was a few yrs younger then the 19yrs, he spat on the floor saying "f-ing f*****h that will teach you to pay up next time", with that said, he simply walked away...

I never really believed into this Somali gang hype until last year when I saw guys openly bragging about how they have guns and knives and the amount of times they were arrested. Up until last year, I used to play basketball where all the Somali kids used to hang out...it used to be nice cause it gave us something to do in the summer holidays, until one day, this guy invited us to his house for drinks and snacks (a group of about 9 of us went), we thought nothing of it since ppl used to do that all the time...

anyways we all sitting outside the house and all talking and this one guy started bragging about his "9mm", me being a big mouth and all started saying "waraa beenta naga dhaaf", he was like no no hold on let me get it, its under my mattress. Lol unexpectedly the guy came out with a silver 9mm in his hand lol you can safely assume it was the last time I ever went to them sides again!

As Lakkad said, these kids often have loving families, or as they are male, they are left to their own devices...another time I was at this party (a yr and a half ago) and this guy offered to give me a ride as I was like my mum said I'd have to be back home at 3am (my cousins were supposed to take me back home but they wanted to stay behind),anyways he offered me a ride and as I got home, I said thank you, I will never forget what he said to me "You have a nice family that cares about you, I wish I had someone telling me to stay at home".

Some of these ppl here have been sent by they family on their own, or with just an older sibling looking after them, and so most of the time they are left to their own devices, with no one really caring what they do or when or where they go...

One thing is for sure, Somali gangs, or Somali kids hanging around in street corners is certainly on the rise, and something needs to be done about it ASAP!

Ma'salaama

BEAU_MEC   

Idil, nicely said walaalo. This is a growing problem and the worst thing is that we as 'somalis' have become well known. Never will you hear a somali being described as a black youth, always as a somali. Last time i went to a 'riwaayad' i was shocked at what i saw. Even in the standard london clubs people dont get up to what i saw fellow somalis doing. This is agrave problem as you said and we'll have to put our heads together to solve it. Nevertheless, a good number of somalis are doing well...but as usual the bad ones always shine!

I understand what you say about most coming from deprived families and no authorative figure, however they are still pretty ****** in my eyes. In my opinion, they see UK black youth culture (mainly west indian) and try and imitate it. Prime example..all these peeps are saying wa'guaan....if only someone could tell them it's patwa and the west indians say it because it's part of thier language. I dont see other peeps going round sayin ii waran oo maxaaa haysaa..so why should we copy them. I think i'm going off an a tangent so i'll stop here.

@ +

No suprise here. I have seen those kids in where i live. they all wear those heavy pants, and that thing on their head. they greet each other "YO wassup man" or "YO where is my money fool". and most of them couldn't be more than 17yrs old. but the police is doing a good job of keeping those doofaarin off the street and putting them where they belong: Juvenile detention.

i dont pick those Doofaariin in my cab.

rudy. i know alot of nomads in MN doing just fine. they goto school, are very obedient to their parents, and dont get involved in any of those gang related stuff. and most important of all, they dont watch that BET, MTV crap. i think thats one the reason somali kids go stray, because of watching too much BET.

to be honest all these kids need is a little prayer and good after school activities...me myself i grew up in north minneapolis and i do really know about the hard life here in MN...

all i'm saying is these teenagers need after school programs to keep them off the streets...

so let me ce this! problem & solution r known

however, these lil buggers r getting wasted just cuz the leaders and community is sitting on their behind!!

sad indeed!!

i am sure the islamic community can organize after school activities for these teenagers! if this action can help, plz inform your local immam

king_450   

Qoryooley, bro explain to me what you mean Hard Life, really! what hard life are you talking about? First of all if you are a somali teen and is or going to be 18yrs old Now,you must feel Lucky that your parents are Somalis, cz no one is asking you to find a job and contribute the household acitivities, all is asked to do is study hard , stay away from the nonsense,and obey you God ,respect your family.You know American way , Hit the road jack at age 18th. So what problem are you talking about?