Sign in to follow this  
Rokko

Should Afro-Americans get reparations..?

Rokko   

The whites or perhaps all the other races in america are the benifitiaries of slavery. Besides the Railroad/highways..and on..I was reading some facts bout who built the White House, 60-70% of those were slave. The sad thing is that on the names of those, as I was looking @ never had freaking fulname except made up last names only. The other thing is although they were paid for the labor, they never received and instead the Master collected all that money..dang.

America has paid the Indians, Jews, and the Japanese reparation. Geramny still pays the survived Jews from HOllocust..so am I missing something here or what...

What you guys all think of this...?

Bachelor   

Mobb SXB, It's an interesting topic, but fairly difficult to debate in its present form. To debate it properly, it would help greatly of you could do one things: State your position clearly. Though it seems you are for repration.

I recall this topic in my "critical thinking" class at college. Certainly, this issue is very complicated and divsive. Many major global corporations are being sued for profiting from slave labor.

My question is, are there any serviver(from former slaves)? or it is going to be given to their grand children? Who really going to be eligible and who is not? for such a massive reparations?

Very tough.

Liqaye   

I think the whole issue is a red herring, apart from the fact as batchelor has stated of the divisiveness of the issue, i would ask my self how the ageless suffering of the african american community shall be rendered closed by ANY monetary value.

Personally i think that what the african american community needs is a new way of thinking.

All this demands for money is causing further enthrophy in the way they think.

To give you an example the asian community in america and here in southafrica were used as mining and construction slaves and faced comparative social discrimination, but being the products of a longer history they understand that in the scheme of things, you either get p!ssed on or you do the p!ssing.

They certainly are not the ones waiting for the welfare check or the rap video.

What the african american community needs is not more righteous indignation or money, but a respect and emulation of role models that go beyond BLOATED DADDY and such stpidity.

..let 'em have they repaparations..the Japanese were compensated fo being jailed in concentration camps durin' WW2..so the Blacks deserve money fo centuries off slavery n sufferin'..1

^^ Thats a terrible thing to say dear. :(

I'm with Liqaaye here. I'm not sure how a monetary value could be placed on centuries of hardship and suffering. Any figure would probably be too little, which makes the idea highly impracticle (no govt is going to cough up a lot of money). If however, the A-A community believes a few million/billion will repay the white-man's debt to them, well then its up to them.

Anyone heard about that saying "the rail road of the sea" someone thought that they were being poetic whne they said that this rail road was made out of teh bones of aricans stolen to become slaves.

North bro thats cold byts thats alo true, no body in america wouldbe willing to do so easily.

The case for Repatriating African Amerian is Rock Solid, and compelling. Indeed it is the rest of the rich america that is reapin the rewards of the Four Fathers slavery policy, and even if the economical case is dispelled the human rights case cant never be.

400 years of slavery, can that eve be compenstated?? i hardly doubt it.

N.O.R.F   

If they were to recieve some sort compensation, alot of columbian/bolivian drug barons will see an increase in business in the lucrative north american market :D

N.O.R.F   

It wasnt meant to be funny, you telling me theres not an element of truth in that? all the ghetto headz getting wind falls of money all at the same time,,,,,,sh*t is bound to kick off

lol it is something i am tempted to agree on Ramapage, bad as it my seems.

I agree with what liqaye said earlier. what black people need in america is not necessarily money ( although countless ghettos that they and many minorities inhabit could do with that) but some formal recognition of the difficult backgrounds that they come from resulting from the slavery . To reach where there wanna be at they have to be given a fair chance.

Something like Afimirtive action, akin to that currently being discussed on College application forms in america.

What i would ask if they where to be some form of repatriation, who would it go to an Individuals or an Orgnaisation? would it be mney o do what u want with, or with strings attached?

Gediid   

I happen to watch a TV show addressing this issue sometime back and most participants acknowledged that the blacks should be compensated for all the suffering slavery caused them.That was the consensus among all the participants until a young redneck points out how the blacks already are beneficiaries of state and federal sponsored welfare programs.He went on to add that this was akin to compenstation and the collective guilt that they "white America" felt for centuries of slavery.It is after all true that blacks recieve more welfare checks than any other race in America ,can that be intreprated as payback for centuries of slavery?

Matkey   

How about building good schools and the other institutions in the black neighbourhood? Because, according to various statistics, most kids lack basic education i.e. elementary, middle and high schools, and hence their chances of moving to next level (college or university) are limited. Most of these feel that they are incapable of becoming doctors, astronauts, university professors and so on.

This persistent pattern in the black community can be solved through investing the education as a form of reparation. Indeed, over two hundred years of slavery and its consequences (breakdown of family value for generations, loss of culture and sense of belonging) are not something upon which we can put price or any other material things. It is true that one would analyze the social problems in the afro-american systemically, that is to say, slavery not only exploit its subjects physically, but also disband norms, values and culture of its subject. As Bee and Liqaye said, putting monetary value on century of slavery would not do any justice for them.

Rokko   

Brother Bachelor, i'm as you already discern for the reparation. However, I am in opposition to giving million/billions of dollars to slave ancestor individuals as Bee pointed out. This will make the whole reparation thing multifaceted and will take long time to figure out who, where and elucidate. Therefore, I would abet those who benefited from it, gov, corporations and their accomplices to acknowledge and pay in different way. Endowment could be set up, which will pay school tuitions, healthcare. Giving low rate interest loans, to buy house, open biz..and on. Therefore, there's that kinda path I would want..

Giving $$$ to individuals will be very abortive thang..in addition, I'm against that..

Baashi   

I'm in favor of an authentic and a formal apology by the United States government for its part in the slave business aka plantation economy in the south.

It would not be unpresented move since US government issued formal appology to Japanese Americans. But then again the reparation proponents would demand a monetary compensation.