Sign in to follow this  
Pig

Pictures: Somalis in Chicago as early as 1915

Interesting snaps.I agree they look somali to me. Our people had moved to the shores of Uk and South africa thanks to the british. When you look at their attire has a resemblance on what somalis used to wear traditionally (used to see em in weddings and hear about the attire in granmas stories).

Blessed   

Originally posted by Gediid:

Ameenah

Never heard nor seen Somalis naked waist up from the past nor the present.....Have you?

I don't know about the past walaal. Laakin I've seen another pic which some Italian guy took of a Somali girl that he fell in love with back in the early 19'oos- and she wasn't all that covered up niether....she didn't look Somali to me. But this girl has Somali features, as MD said waa Somaaliyad soo taagen - even if her dress sense is shocking :eek:

As far as I know - canfartu are muslims also - so this pic is still a little odd... maybe marada ayaa laga cararey ;) Allah knows.

Paragon   

These pictures make me sick to the core walaahi. These pictures were taken to portray Somalis as zoo animals. Look at the way the whites stand and surround the supposed Somalis! And how the family was made to sit next to each other, as if in some sort of captivity.

LadyMo   

I.e de first pic;

none of women on de front hav Somali features except for maybe the lil kid, the only person whom I think look slightly Somali is de woman at de back wiv de scarf on her head.

The one wiv de men look even scarier! I mean yeah, maybe they sit a bit like de reer miyi ppl but dats about it, they all look like they've just had an electrical current run through them.

Howeva it doesnt mean to say that there werent Somalis around in those days

As for de second one (the beauties) come on be realistic! They dont look Somali AT ALL + THE WOMAN is showin her breats (I cud understand if it was de lil girl dat wasnt wearin a top but the women-Hell NO!) and for de clothes they're wearin soo not Somali!

Waaq   

They look just like the nomads I met in the Shabelle Basin. These are people from the Horn of Africa, they might not be Somalis (I believe they are), but definilety some other group.

They were not slaves. Slavery was abolished by this time. Around this time thought there was a great deal of interest about people in Africa and the East, so I agree with the person who said it was for some exhibition. Funny, the next black person you meet might be of Somali descent.

Som@li   

they can't be somalis,,yez they look like somalis,,somali men used to be seamen and used to travel all over the world,,but women,,kids,,,i don't think so,,,BTW from thier clothes,they look like new arrivals,,may be they are from caribbeanss??

Originally posted by Lakkad:

Waraada filinkaas naga dhaafa them not soms!

Funny thing my Grand Pops was in BURMA in 1900 was part of the royal afrikan rifles!-his # was 'Ayt nayn fay fay'(8955~-lol-thas how he says it)

shatown and Malis-yo al-capone coudave used em niggas-huh?- we need reparations-lol

....eh eh eh...Maybe that is why we see many black indians..Are they Somali descendants.. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Jalaato   

Wow. I think they are Somalis, not they look like Somalis, but I can sense Somali culture in the picture, and here are my 20-minute investigations and what I found.

1. Look hard at the firs picture, you see there are women only all the men appear to be in the second picture, even thought the Police mixed with women, and that tells you how our old folks were strong in religion and culture and they probably asked to be separated from the women. I don’t think Chicago Police Department suggested that. Do you?

2. Stay looking at the first picture in the firs row, they are sitting on their “Kabad†Incase you don’t know the word Kabad is a peace of cloth that our nomad women are famous about making it.

3. Now look the second picture in the first row from left the second guy, what is he wearing? Macawis. Hello, that is a vital clue for my evidence loll.

4. Finally, when I see the way the afro has a line in the middle off the head, do you know what come across to my young detective mind, that can be no other then follow Nomad.

5. Peace out.

Now look the second picture in the first row from left the second guy, what is he wearing? Macawis. Hello, that is a vital clue for my evidence loll.

:D waraa ishaa ka tuurtay afcores these are our ppl. commmm ppl

Stay looking at the first picture in the firs row, they are sitting on their “Kabad†Incase you don’t know the word Kabad is a peace of cloth that our nomad women are famous about making it.

<-------- soo maaali baanu nahay lol waxaan la yaabay dad dad kooda ka cararaayo <---- hey these are our ppl :confused: look @ picture so hard you can smell that they are soomalis.