Sign in to follow this  
Pig

Pictures: Somalis in Chicago as early as 1915

Could you be one of them?

Not sxb, not at all, I believe we are a black nation with distinct feature, unique style a visible culture, even modern day Somali pictures in the west are so obvious.

when I looked beyond the nakedness, primitiveness and untidiness

NgongeThere you spotted my point, specailly when looking at the first picture.

Look at the man in the middle of the middle picture, stare at his face, and try to mentally give him a shave and haircut. Does he not look like Castro to you? Does the one lying on the floor not look like Johnny B? Isn’t Juma the one on the left?

:D good combination of SOL soldeirs in that picture.

they’re even standing in that camp geel jire way

Absolutely right, how couldn't I spot that geeljire way of standing lol, very typical.

Castro   

Originally posted by Tukaale:

I believe we are a black nation with distinct feature, unique style a visible culture, even modern day Somali pictures in the west are so obvious.

I can live with that assessment. The maryo badan and the mijo yar yar are distinctly visible indeed. :D

Ojelle   

Salama Calaykum

i am not sure if they are real somalian, and if they are we need to find out the reality. because it seems to me hard to beleive that we have such ppl in Chicago at that time, not realy knowing what their circumantace were.

Blue sky's

Salaam,

they look like ethiopians to me and the fact that some peeps were saying they look senegali reinforces my point as senegalese are originally from ethiopia, however since during that time was the stand off over Somaliland i don't understand if they were fleeing the fighting why go to the US and not England, i.e. if they were from Somaliland or even the ******. and in closing who cares where they are from do we know where we are going?

Sanghuni   

Dhammaan waa salaamay,

Labada sawir ee ugu horreeya (Soomaali Chicago 1915?) sheekadooda oo buuxda anaa idiin haya. Waxaan hubsanayaa in sheekadu wali socoto ama ay boggan ka xiranytahy. Haddii aad wali halkan ka dhowraysaan soo jawaaba, haddii kale dhambaal cusub ayaan furi doonaa ee la socda si aan idin kaga sheekeeyo taariikhda dadkaa Soomaaliyeed iyo sidii ay Chcago ku yimaadeen.

Mahadsanidin.

B.M.Warsame (cilimi-baare madax bannaan)

Sanghuni   

Soo dowaynta mahad baan ka celiyay.

Boggan in aan jacbur la isugu heegin baan u qabay, la yaabse ma leh oo dad xaqiiqada jacburka ka jecel baa nagu badan.

Aan idiinwarramee Miskiin iyo inta kaleba, dadkani horta waa Soomaali sax ah, halka ay ku xaraysanyihiin waa saldhig booliis oo Chicago ku yaal, taariikhduna waa sax 1915-kii. Guud ahaan kooban, waxay ka tirsanaayeen dad carriga Soomaaliyeed laga keenay si ay uga mid noqdaan dad adduunka meelo badan oo guumaystayaashii reer Yurub dullaysteen laga soo ururshay si xeryaha xayawaanka iyo bandhigyada waawayn loogu daawado "savages".

Gaar ahaan, kooxdaan Chicago la keenay iyaga oo ka hor meelo kalena lagu soo bandhigay ayaa masrax magaalada ku yaal lagula heshiiyay in ay waxyaalihii looga bartay ka jilaan "savages etc.", waa aqbaleen waana lagu wada heshiiyay. Nasiib darro lacagtii ay halkaa ka shqaysteen ayaa loo diiday, si ay ku dhacdayba, iyaguna warmahooda ayay qaateen si ay xaqqooda u dhacsadaan. Arrintii cirka ay isku shareertay ilaa ay dacwad maxkamadeed gaartay. Sidaa ayaa dadkan horta saldhigga lagu keenay sawirradan aad arkaysana halkaa dacdarrada leh looga qaaday. Waxa la soo xiray ragga oo kaliya ayay ahaayeen, dumarkuna haddii raggii xabsi loo dareershay meel ay ku haraan ma jirin.

War yaanan idinku daaline, ugu dambayn maxkamad ayaa loo gudbiyay dhammaanna waxaa lagu xukumay musaafurin degdeg ah.

Dabadeed si xaal noqday, bal adba!

Afeef: Sheekadaan inta aanan boggaan ku soo biirin ka hor ayaan la socday oo qoraal cilmi-baaris ah oo aan muddo ku gudo jiray meelo badanna u maray ayay ka mid ahayd. Aad ayaan ugu farxay markii aan maalin dhowayd aniga oo wax baaraya ka soo kor dhacay sheekadiina muddada hore soo bilaabatay oo xog qabyo iga ahayd aan ka kororsaday. Midda kale, waxa aa soo gudbiyay waa baaritaan socda ah oo aanan 100% hubin ee ha lala socdo.

Mahadsanidin dhammaan

KEYNAN22;399441 wrote:

somalinew6ky.jpg

OMG! This guy is famous in DIREDAWA Ethiopia he founded the first muslim school in the city and many of its graduates have become well known personalities for example Cabdi Majid (aun) former Ethiopian politician and also the current djibouti president has also graduated fro MADRASDA HAJI ALI located in a district of the city called XAAFAT CIISE.

Ask any muslim from that city they would have heard of HAJI ALI SCHOOL (MADARASAH).

As a former student I really appreacaite for posting this picture GOD BLESS.

I have never seen this before, this is totally cool. I heard about the first Somali settlers in the US were based in Chicago back late 19th century through family.