Sign in to follow this  
Pig

Pictures: Somalis in Chicago as early as 1915

looool good spot, but Macawis is not only common to the Somalis, I guess u better do a bit of reseach as to how many communities wear them.

Still that cannot be good reason, I am implying.

Senora   

Slaves???....LOL, Many of you haven't been paying much attention to your American History classes, eh?...lol..

sudanes   

Originally posted by ??쩺

I have seen these pictures on another website. What were Somalis doing at the Chicago Police Staion in 1915? Were they investigaged by the Police? Were they Slaves? Were they refugees?What do these pictures tell you?

n065091.jpg

n065090.jpg

More investigation is needed on this.

FIRST NO ONE WOULD WANT TO ENSLAVE A SKINNY PEOPLE NO MATTER WHAT COLOUR.

THE WHOLE SLAVERY DURING 18TH CENTURY WAS FOCUSING ON PEOPLE WHO ARE PHYSICALLY STRONG ..HENCE THAT IS WHY BALCK AFRICANS(JAREERS) WERE TARGETED.

SECONDLE WE WOULDNT HAVE PUT UP THIS WITHOUT A FIGHT...AND IF THEY TRIED HARD TO ENSLAVE SOMALIS IT WOULD HAVE ENDED UP SITUATION ABU GRABE(IRAQ) JUST TORTURING BECAUSE WE SAID NO TO ORDERS..ALLAH IS GREAT AND WE SHOULDNT FEAR OF DEATH.

THAT IS ARABS STOPPED ENSLAVING THE NUBIANS 14TH CENTURY WHEN THEY BECOME MUSLIM..AS BILLAH DEMONSTRATED WHEN YOU ALLAH YOU DONT NEED TO ABEY HUMAN BEING SIMPLE AS THAT...YOU CAN HANGE ME BECAUSE YOU ARE STRONGER BUT YOU CANT MAKE ME OBEY YOU ...ALLAH AKBAR..THAT IS WHY ISLAM IS GREAT.

sudanes   

Originally posted by somealien:

quote:Originally posted by Modesty:

I can't believe that those people are Somalis. For one, this could be a cut 'N' PASTE thing. Secondly, they wouldn't be sitting comfortably around white slave owners like that. I think possibily they could've been Muslim Senegalese,who were brought to the U.S.A as slaves.But No, those people can't be Somalis...Plus why would anyone want to flee our beautiful country with all our goats,and camels in 1915 to come to a cold place like Chicago!

I'm not buying this! :cool:

1)what woulbe the goal in cut n pasting the pics, what kind of satisfaction would one get in doing so? and 2) theyre not slave owners, slavery ended sometime in the 1890s, AND, although somalis and east aficans didnt generally fall victim to the slave trade, there ARE a few that fell in those traps. in 1915, the jim crow laws is what id be worried about though. but than again, they could just be travelling through.
THIS IS ONE OF THE REASON WHY I DONT WANT WHITE PEOPLE DIGGING OUR LAND TO DO ARCHAEOLOGY AND WHERE WE COME FORM..JUST LIKE THEY DID 2 NUBIANS THEY WANT SOMALIS TO ASSOCIATE WITH SLAVERY EDEOLOGY, IE LOOKING IF THERE IS SOME EVIDENCE OF SOMALIS AS SLAVES BEFORE ISLAM(7TH CENTURY.

WHITE MAN IS DYING TO CHANGE OUR HISTORY AND BRING THE WORD SLVERY TO OUR HISTORY.

aaNiL   

The top picture clearly shows those people are Somalis. The women dressed in Guntiino and the necklace known as Kuul or something like that.

Maybe Christian missionaries proselytized them and brought them to Chicago. A simple research can be done in Chicago's main library and trace them and see how they ended up.

There were two kinds of slaves in America one works on the field and the other(light skinned and good looking slave) in the white masters house.

Castro   

Just a little fact here, slavery did not exist in the US in 1915.

I would call those Somalis arriving in Chicago in 1915 visionaries who had forseen the kind of arrogant ignorance their fellow men would perpetrate 75 years later. Good for them.

NGONGE   

Aden1.jpg

"Somali Soldiers"

Studio photograph, in Aden, between 1900-1910.

Aden2.jpg

"Somaly Soldiers"

Studio photograph in Aden, between 1900-1910.

Aden3.jpg

"Somali Sweetsellers"

Studio photograph of street children in Aden, circa 1906 . Disability and malnutrition are visible.

Source

Katrina   

Ngonge those are beautiful pics, where did you find them?

When ppl talked about collected artifacts/pics etc representative of their history and heritage. I would have a blank stare on my face (couldn't comprehend) but those pics have stirred something deep within my soul. I NEED MORE! What a novel idea? Tks for giving me an idea.

Are you guyz sure these Pictures are of Somali men and children. They look more like African bush men, they could be Masai... I don't know

But our forefathers didn't wear such dresscode, topless? and never heard that spear was widely used in Somalia at that time.

Castro   

^ You don't mean they look like 'niggas', by any chance, do you? Cause I've heard some Somalis say they're the darkest possible shade of white. Could you be one of them? :rolleyes:

NGONGE   

Tukaale

I was under the impression that the Sayid and his boys used spears (amongst other weapons). These photos if the source is genuine were made at least ten years before the Sayid’s time.

You might be right and these photos might turn out to be fakes, however, when I looked beyond the nakedness, primitiveness and untidiness I can see Somali characteristics in the faces of the men and children in those photos.

Look at the man in the middle of the middle picture, stare at his face, and try to mentally give him a shave and haircut. Does he not look like Castro to you? Does the one lying on the floor not look like Johnny B? Isn’t Juma the one on the left?

Look at the children. The sweet seller looks like an everyday Somali child. The two on his left (right in your case) not only look Somali; they’re even standing in that camp geel jire way.

I think these are genuine Somali photos. They’re supposed to be taken in Aden, which will probably explain the white child crawling on the floor.

01a6.jpg