Sign in to follow this  
Zaylici

Ancient and medivial Somali and horn of Afrrican history

Zaylici   

I have compiled an essays on the following topics, remember the treatise discuss up to about 1700, Punt, Axum, Muslim states in the southern part of Somali terrotery, such as Ajuran sultanate, Muqdisho sultanate, Marka, Brava, northern sultanates, Adal( centred around Zailac),Ifat state in showa, southern "Ethiopian" muslim states,

Here are my questions, I have already written on these topics using Arabic sources and local Muslim Munuscripts, as well as reference books written in English, Arabic and Somali.

I was wondering if it would good idea to publish these treatise in Somali, and what do you think about the market of Somali language here in the west, do you think there would be readers or bayers of these material, or do you think I should write in English, Secondly, please tell me if you know some resources that I can use to enrich my work, thirdly, do you think it is an interesting topic, trivial question as they may sound, responses would be valuable

Any suggestion would be valuabel contribution to this public work, the reason being less is known about the Somali and muslim past in the African horn, unfortuntely there are no many young people who are interested in this feild, in my opinion research on this feild would have illuminated the current Somali scholarship

BY

brother let me say I am thrilled to see one of my fellow Somalis who by the way interests the unique and confusing history, I have tried so many librarys to figure out where in the hell our ancestors came from, we all know some say that we desened from Arab, ironically I don't believe that but my point is where do you get all staff and I urge to continue what you are doing Zaylici and publish both english and Somali

your Artical.

banaadir   

i don't think you should investigate such matter because it has no significance.

history is the past if only there is a future

what is the banadir bro talkin about?

zaylici, i believe you should definetly go ahead with the research and writing, i personally would like to read what you have, because i myself am fascinated with who were the somalis ancestors. i heard of this guy IM.Lewis has some neat stuff written about somali clans and stuff, maybe that might help,if you haven't checked him out.

and definetly if you can get the collection of essays published please let it be in english, inorder for everyone to be able to read with ease, and for sure in somali if you want to.

Suumali   

salam.

zaylici, its incredible what you're doing. though i suggest you market it in english rather than somali. the somalian audience is today - subhanalah intellectually apathetic, as is exemplified by the genious who stated history is irrelevant. atleast in english your audience will be larger and perhaps non-muslim. it would be of great benefit to not only us, but to others as well to inform them of our rich history.

mohammed-farrah, i'm not sure if we were part of the abbysinian population when they were one of the most powerful nations in the world, but we're the same people. cleary alike and significantly different than our african brothers to the south and west. the arab muslims who came in the 9-11 century intermarried but did little to change our overall appearence. you can find some more by just perusing over some sites at google. of if you're really frustrated, you can try the online encyclopedia.

LANDER   

Zaylici,

thats a good a idea sxb. Remember though, the greatest challenge to men who write their own history (specially somalis) is their impartiality when depicting historic events. Just a reminder and good luck, I'll look out for your book when it comes through inshallah

Siman   

That is noble thing to do Zaylici. I have seen many things written about Somalis's history but sadly mostly if not all are written by nonSomali individuals and not suprisingly they have contradicting theories about us.

Suumali had good points and I'm for the book to be published in english. I'm very curious about our history prior to colonization. I'll be your first buyer smile.gif Hope that helped.

Zaylici   

Many of my freinds are obssessed with Somali orgin, no wonder then that there are many theories about the Somali orgin. However, the theories that I have encountered so far with regard to Somali orgin lack reliable evidence and convincing argument to an inquisitive mind or shall we say to a truth searching philosopher or an analytic minded medivial hostorian( I do not have these titles at this moment, but I wish to have them in the nearer future, however, I do what they do at this moment). Precisely, for this reason I refrain in my historical writtings with regard to the matters of Somali orgin. I thank all Women and Men who responded to my questions, I delightly welcome all comments irrespective to their content.

I have currently 12 essays written both in English and in Afsoomaali, covering historical epoch streching from 3000BC to 1600 AD, the approach I have taken is regional one, that is I have considered the prevailing socioeconomic and religio-politcal conditions of adjacent nations such as South Arabia, Egypt, mediteranian civilisations such as Rome and Greece and ofcourse the entire East African region. The approuch I hope makes history intaligible to the modern reader. I hope unless bad health or lack of resources prevent me, these treatise will be availbale in local bookstores, certianly in Somali bussiness across the daispora and in Somali pinansula( this incluses all lands dwelled by Somali spealing nations in the African hornn

With help of God we may succeed and leave something valuable to this desperate and unfortunate people of ours. The end of this writtings is to enrich modern Somali and non Somalis who are interested in actively participating in the betterment and development processes of Somali society.

So much for discussion

Mr. Moe   

Mr. Zaylici you are doing your community and people and of-course Qabil (whatever that may be) a great service. Keep up the good job as there is not enough resources to teach our young their history and where they came from. If I may add something to this relevant topic...I was on BBC.com visiting the Africa section when I saw a link to this wonderful site...of course I had to register. Anyways, I noticed on the BBC.com site; a profile of our former country (Somalia's profile...) they state that Somalis' emigrated from Arabia (Yemen)about 800BC...what's up with this big lie. Anyone who has studied the history of African people knows that Somalis' are an aboriginal peoples. What this means is that we are from the land and have always been. Now to prove this, one need only read the "famous" book by Ciek Ante Diop(sp?). The most respected archeologist in modern African time. Professor Diop is also a respected radio-carbon dater (a technique used to identify *** far back something was made;) who has taught in the most respected and one of the oldest institutions of higher learning...the Sienne in Paris(sp?). My question is, have you heard or read something that would lead you to believe the former or the latter?

Thanks very much,

Mohammed.

RaMpAgE   

salam...

zaylici, good luck brother, we need a somali to write our own history, because when its writen by a non-somali they write all sorts of crazy things.The big problem with our history is the lack of archealogoy done in somalia.

anways heres few interesting sites i found on the net for the nomads.

http://www.civicwebs.com/cwvlib/africa/somalia/1994/dawn_of_civilization/

http://www.panspantry.co.uk/incstrd.htm

Mr. Moe   

Thanks RAMPAGE: your suggestion for the first site was excellent. For anyone wishing to increase their knowledge of history...please visit this wonderful page and helpyourselves. For those of you who think this endevour is useless...you are out of touch my man. "To understand the future, you must first know your past."