Sign in to follow this  
Baashi

My observations on nomads/aliens in this forum.

Baashi   

Online forums and discussion boards such as Somaliaonline are expected to facilitate dialogue and serve as a medium where the difference of opinion and divergent views are encouraged and welcomed. Most often, in the case of SOL, diligent editors invest time and effort to meet that expectation. For some earthily reason unknown to me some of the nomads are mean, impolite, too sentimental, judgmental, and in most cases are obsessed with and appealed to extremely trivial topics.

Don’t get me wrong I’m all for the ‘freedom of expression’. I do understand that all sorts of characters are bound to congregate in these free forums for different reasons especially when armed with anonymity. That is not why I’m posting this piece. I have always wondered why is it that quite sizable numbers of nomads tend to proclaim anathema on nomad(s) with opposing views than theirs? Is it because we conform to the majority view of our locality, clan, or what have you? Or some other force is at work here?

In matters of larger concern such as politics or the other matters that is projected to the field of our notice and interest, I noticed, some nomads are too quick to formulate a position without rational excuse for having an opinion about the matter at all. Some of the nomads in this forum are even vindictive especially when their premises are challenged or eloquently refuted. Some are so arrogant that they won’t miss a chance to humiliate their fellow nomads.

I studied these interesting questions to the bottom and come out empty!

Having said that, I’ve concluded that we are not that different than other forumers but we (most of us) think with our clans, not independently; we relate the sympathies of our clans, but not that of other side; we arrive at convictions, but they are drawn from partial view of the matter at hand...if I can mimic the Mark Twain's take on 'conformity'.

Those are my observations on nomads/aliens in this forum.

Now! What is ur take on my conclusion?

Absolutely right there Baashi ...when you said ..

"we (most of us) think with our clans, not independently; we relate the sympathies of our clans, but not that of other side; we arrive at convictions, but they are drawn from partial view of the matter at hand..."

One of the reasons I dont take part in the Political discussions is that most often the question is misunderstood by most and always give knee jack reactions that have nothing to do with the discussion at hand. Sometimes one needs to see a wrong for a wrong and a right for right. The only way we can go forward is to take criticism as much as praise. Often what is happens here is that the drums beat for the clan rather than whats wrong with it. I think once we get to see each side of the argument and get to the right collective conclusion will we mature. And thats when we will know why the state of affairs are as they are today. And only then shall we take the next step to prosper.

Coloow   

Baashi, I agree 100%. Good observations saaxib. May I add:

When I first logged on somalionline, I had to agree to certain guideline such as avoiding tribalism, profanities etc. But on a second look, these are permissable albeit in a latent way. Look at some of the nicknames and flags!

Baashi,

Like it or not..this is a FORUM. Whether it be a Somali one or not, you are going to get many different views. Some you will agree with, others you will disagree with and the rest you just leave alone.

What I don't get exactly is, What are you so SHOCKED about?

Gediid   

Opinionated said

Like it or not..this is a FORUM. Whether it be a Somali one or not, you are going to get many different views. Some you will agree with, others you will disagree with and the rest you just leave alone.

What I don't get exactly is, What are you so SHOCKED about?

Well said Opinionated

Haneefah   

Baashi, you're not the only one walaal I've noticed as well.

I have to agree with Shaqsi here in that much of the hostility is in the politics section with constant criticism and resentment between the nomads...and the worse thing is much of that stems from qabiil and land disputes... "you're from this land and your ppl are this and that...oh your land or region doesn't even exist...who are you to decide cuz it existed way before your region" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Dhoocilo is rifaya waxaan ahayn kama garatid walahi. It's extremely shocking to see the amount of deep hatred some nomads have towards other somalis mainly because of qabiil, Subxana'Allah. Some people just don't have the slighest clue about politics and it really makes you lose interest and not participate in that section at all. And it also makes you wonder, if our so called "younger" generation is thinking along this line, how will we ever make a difference and reach somewhere as a nation?

Salaan...

Baashi, it truly seems so. And I secondly concur with you.

As I had been away from this forum in the past couple months, it seems the forum had changed a bit. In the General section, upon reading it now, it seems too many ciyaal kuni kuni had invaded it. I know the site is growing, but God...kamoon, wax quman qora hadii kale naga daaya wareerka badan.

And the issue of debating with a certain group of people regarding the 'secession' movement, mar horaa faraha ka qaaday. Because of torobo tedious, repetitive, droning, monotonous articles--to be repeatedly posted, yet still does not prove a thing. With this, faraha aaba ugu wada qaaday. Dad qub iyo qash iyo "forum joogxumo" :D maala doodi kartaa, Ilaahaa nalahee. So save your breath. Faraha iskaga qaad dadkaas, ha iska raaxeystaan with their delusional dream. Long so as it will soon be HISTORY!

Macsalaama!!

xiis   

Mr.Macruuf

I agree as a Somalilander it is safe to say the feeling is mutual. No love loss here.

[ June 08, 2003, 03:08 AM: Message edited by: Admin ]

N.O.R.F   

PPl are different, are brought up differently, grow up differently, mature, develop they own take on issues and communicate this in they own unique way. Now if we all thought the same and had the same opinions on matters, acted the same, responded the same. Maan we would like robots.

So what we dont agree on politics, when a person disagrees with u its because he/she is from this tribe or that part of the country. When they agree with u then its, oh they are thinking independently and are rational in their reasons why. Give me a break bruv!!!!!!!

"we (most of us) think with our clans, not independently; we relate the sympathies of our clans, but not that of other side; we arrive at convictions, but they are drawn from partial view of the matter at hand..."

Gediid   

Miskiin said

So save your breath. Faraha iskaga qaad dadkaas, ha iska raaxeystaan with their delusional dream. Long so as it will soon be HISTORY!

Not worthy of a response.

Miriam1   

Bashi on the idea of the majority in this forum being attracted to trival topis, the reality is that i am faced with challenging issues daily in my life..so sometimes i would like to come here and read one of OG-Moti's funny posts or Darman's...i dont find them trivial but of a different kind..on the political section i took my hands out of that section for a looooong time, tis impossible for us to concieve it possible that people radomly posting from the world to come to an agrument on an issue that is has been going on for ever.

Foremost something else i discovered a while ago is that there is a great element to the art of communication that is missing here in these online forums.Body Language! those little faces on the side dont come to a reasonable subsititue..so most of the time in my opinion arrgonace, vidictivness and other negative emotions are misinterpetted.

Peace

Baashi   

Shaqsii,

I see where u coming from sxb.

Entreprenuer,

Right on! sxb. But don't u think Admin/Mod's r doing a hek of job in trying to moderate the forum. They can't make a judgement call based on the nicknames and flags nomads carry. That will be an overkill!

Opinionated, Gediid, and Northerner,

Friends I guess u misread me. I'm neither shocked nor offended by what's been written in these threads. I just made an observation on nomads and thier attitude toward the debates.

MMA, good to see u back and wlc back sxb.

Jawahir, I agree with u that nomads are different and hence have different interest and tastes. I find some of the topics trivial. You find them a pass-time material. Funny u mentioned communication...in scale of four, ur attitude toward politics is: Avoidance. Now here r the scale

1. Appreciation

2. Acceptance

3. Tolerance

4. Avoidence

It has been observed that we communicate to our fellow human beings according to that scale. We appreciate what some of our friends have to say, we accept some of their views in our dealings with them, we tolerate others whenever we engage them in discussions, and we completely avoid debating particular issues with them.

In any event, there is no excuse for one to be mean and impolite.

"Like it or not..this is a FORUM. Whether it be a Somali one or not, you are going to get many different views..."

True True Opinionated.....but in other forums there are no divisions along the lines of Tribe/Clan etc. In other Forums you dont see hate rather people there get even with ideas and objective arguments and conclusions.

You wouldnt see arguments that start with "they and us" as happnens around here despite the contributors coming from diverse ethnic backgrounds.

So you see opinionated its not all about just having your say but to have to be a forumer who argues their case without getting far too personal to the extent where you feel .."woow someone hates me/them or this clan really has it in for that other clan."

Northerner...your right when you say there has to be diversity of opinion but around here its not diversity but mostly hate and dislike for one another. Besides a question is just aquestion and should be understood for what it is rather than take it as a personal attack. (Though in some cases that too happens)

As the future and probably as the most educated generation, we should be ashamed of some of the remarks and comments we make around here.

Sophist   

Salaams to you all,

It has been sometime! Time has elapsed and indeed a feeling of postmodernism leaves us all gasping for more energy (at least that is how I am feeling—perhaps I am getting on) but to no avail. Such panting and wheezing is the actuality that makes some of us the real US. Am I loosing you or you are perhaps with me here my fellow reader?

Consider this (uuh, I am with great effort trying to employ an analogy most of the dwellers of this forum may relate to us—hey MUJAHID don’t send me to COVENTRY because of this) a house party. The party is organised by a Somali chap and his invitees come with somewhat dilapidated attires; upon seeing this my dear host becomes livid!. Why is the question one needs to ask? is my fellow host being out of touch with reality--- I am sure I will be falling with a lot of people here with such unbecoming example and the brush with I am using with no specific regard! but hey!!. Indeed, a fellow should know his fellow; that is the whole essence of being a fellow. Or perhaps this fellow after a conscientious training of becoming alamode he requires certain antiquate from his star-crossed fellows—as far as clothing is concerned-~?

Now my dear boy entrepreneur; it is good to feel such irritation but to air it in this manner is to overlook the forum writers pervading culture. I for one have enormous amount of views but to air them would be nothing short of trying to walk on water. My dear boy, as Maskiin Macruuf said; it is wise to leave those guys alone in their Newtonian inertia.

A good departed friend (Alaha unaxariisto) once said to me “The more I get to know my fellow Somalis the less I expect from them’ not far from the truth I say.

Sophist