Sign in to follow this  
Coloow

What does the term intellectual mean?

raula   

I have not read the responses but from my simplistic persception(not using dictionary or other terminology enhancers :D )-Intellectual means SKILLED, KNOWLEDGEABLE(not necessarily EDUCATED). As I got older (with a dash of formal education) I have come to realize that EDUCATION cannot necessarily make you knowledgeable (hence, u can be educated but lack the skills to manuever).

just my crude mentality ;)

Coomay   

Salaam,

my point of view too

= Intellectuality = academic or knowledgable Person equiped with a critical thinking. want to know not only how things (his area of knowlege) works but why it works that way.

in islam no one have all the knowledge as one go-( Wa kula dii cilimin caliim}( quraaan), means anyone who is knowledable there is another person more knowledgeable than him/her, You all may remember the story of Prophet Musa(Calayhi Salaam). One day he start preaching to Bani-Isreal and told them - I am the most knowledgable amongst you, then Allah Subxaanah sent some one called Khadar. who teach Musa (CaS) many things he didn't knew.

Wa Allah Aclam

S.O.S   

Dear brothers and sisters,

An intelectual is he/she who's able to use his/her intellect, and he/she who's able to his/her intellect is intelligent.

If we understand the correct meaning of intelligence, then we can understand the correct meaning of an intellectual.

The correct defenition of intelligence is as defined by our Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) for us, and not entirely as defined in "Guilford's Structure of Intelligence"!

Our Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said on intelligence: "An intelligent person is he/she who remembers death very often"

WCWW

juba   

no offense but this topic is a little pointless. Im surprised it went this long. I just don't see what the discussion is?

Stringer   

Juba...you read my mind. I just dont understand why soo many people contributed to finding the "right" definition of the word "intellectual," and to top it off, asking which person can qualify for that title. My advice would be...pick up a dictionary! No need to make a whole post dedicated to your inquiring mind about such nonsense. Silly.

An intellectual is the one who is cognizent of Allah, and fears Allah's wrath, but hopes for His mercy. That is an intellectual. The opposite of an intellectual is the negligent taken by the desire of the Dunya, and Sheydaan.

A good example of the best and undesputed intellectual was prophet Mohamed (scw).

Yonis   

I think the poster is asking the word “intellectual†itself and how you guys define it. But not that he asked who the Most intellectual person is.

Let me put it into this way, the term intellectual is being openn to new ideas, a capacity to question and think critically, and the motivation to master new skills, as well as detecting problems, and finding solutions. I think that is the real meaning of that word and these also summaries anything you guys wrote in here.

Coloow   

Assalamu calaykum,

OO moowluucaan yaa soo faagey?

I started this thread some time back and exactly as many of you put it my purpose was to ask what constitutes intellectual ala the somali way.

Alle-u baahane , akhi nabi maxamed (SAW) wuu ka sareeyaa wax aan maanta ugu yeerno aqoonyahan.

Thank you for the replies and may I wish you ramadaan kariim