Sign in to follow this  
Blessed

Somali Boy dem ...!!

Blessed   

Okay, its my turn to rage on about something. :D

The state of Somali brothers in qurboland leaves a great deal to be desired (if am generous). It seems that generally speaking the sisters are way ahead of the brothers in terms of educational achievement, jobs and the upholding of culture. Whilst, young Somali sisters across London and the UK are being praised for outstanding academic performance, unfortunately the same cannot be said about the male counterparts.

The number of Somali boys getting excluded from school / secondary school drop outs is on the increase, so is the number in jail, the number hanging out in marfishs and drug addicts, etc. Also, just by looking at the youth you can see the difference, almost half the sisters in London are in hijab (bandana style-at least), whilst the majority of our boys seem to have difficulty in comprehending the use of a belt, real men do not wear their surwals below the waist .. get it!! (hehhehhe, just had to get that one out)

Furthermore, when talking teens you can also see the gap in their attitudes, unlike the boy most sisters have high aspirations. They all want be doctors and nurses and teachers. Our wonder-boys on the other hand seem to follow the status quo – they all want to be IT technicians – no pun intended here, but how many IT personnel can one (undeveloped) country hold? Another common goal of almost every Somali boy is wanting to be a bad-ass-MC and a footballer. p-u-h-l-e-a-s-e!

In the house and relations with parents, these youths act like the kings of France, they don’t cook, clean or even wash the very plate they are served with.

I’ll stop the comparisons, as I don’t wish to annoy and show up my baby brothers further.

So, Nomads am I being fair / unfair? Why? And most importantly, what do you think is the cause of this?

hmmm!

u must be yellling from london town!. i like u saying +ve stuff about sistas, however, this dont really exist in southern cally! i usually ce sistas not husling but doing wanna bee a movie star shit! hanging out on the VIP waiting area! u get my drift! while bros r stay in school and do multiple jobs!

i heard london is where bro suck big time.

^^^^^^ lol com'on geezer nothin @ all...

Before i start....

whilst the majority of our boys seem to have difficulty in comprehending the use of a belt

loooooool thats quality.

Alright well let me say my piece.

I think that what your saying is, i suppose if i were to generlize, not too far off the mark. But in saying that i have to be frank and say that i have come across some unsavoury sisters in my time for too often to just brush of as some weird unfortunate incidents. General speaking your correct most of the somali sisters that i have come across have seemed (on the surface @ least)ambitous & normal.

But with the gents, the problem you highleted of them, get in all sorts of trouble is very true, but unsuprising to me. Its a given that this problem is likely to occur and continue to increase, given the fact that these youths you describe come from difficult backgrounds i.e. broken homes, domestic troubles etc etc. I mean i should know some of my good friends have gone through these stages and lucky have managed to sort themsleves out.

Unfortunately there isnt 'A', and i would like to stress the A'once more, National UK somali Orgainsation that should be dealing with these exact problems you have listed i.e. Drug abuse, getting in into crime and even homelessness. Rather, as am sure u are aware, there are several organisations, separate and distinict, all doing there own things and claiming the represent there one little communities. But these youths are youths and the lions share of the blame shouldnt be approtioned to them.

The need help and guidence otherwise they will end up no where broke mest up and stuck in this countries system.

Coloow   

salaama:

"And most importantly, what do you think is the cause of this?"

The cause? where is the somali nation? mental problems caused by war trauma, qaad consumption, disgruntled households with a mentally castrated man coupled with a female who thinks she has acquired balls!

That is the cause!

Originally posted by Entrepreneur:

disgruntled households with a mentally castrated man coupled with a female who thinks she has acquired balls!

Thats Harsh Walaalo.

I Cant really answer dis..I'm lucky enuf to came across only uni boys who have their priorities in order smile.gif

Coloow   

Thats Harsh Walaalo.

That is not harsh walaal! It is the reality facing somali families. We have some social problems in the somali community. Back home in africa the father had a responsibility to feed and cloth his family. In the west the tables have been turned. many families live on social welfare which together with the many other benefits make its way to the purse of the wife- leveraging her with economic power. The man on the other hand is declared redudant by the process. I used the castration and balls metaphors in that sense.

In addition, we have drug abuse among the somali males- qaad. The somali woman has also some abuse (greed).

NinBrown   

salaams Ameenah

I like the way you put things... and the +ve spin.

walaalo u know and i know whats going on in London..and that there as many decent brothers as sisters. The way u sayin is like all the guys in london are gone.

Anyway.. i dont know why people find it hard to beleive the state we are in. If you come to a new society yo will get influenced both bad and good and you will have products of that society. There is one exception..if oyu hold values and beliefs that keep you away from their badness. So we need to hald fast to our religion in order to survive this mad world.

WingA   

- Uneducated

- Unsettled Household

- Under Massive Peer pressure

- This society

and a whole lot more.. am too tired to write.. smile.gif

Dhimbil   

Hebla

Sis, your observation is just little off target, i don't know about london but in the U.S we have our share of J.lo aspirant girls smile.gif Nonetheless,I think the problems with our youth are genderless.

There are many possible causes, but most significant is the parent. The parents are to blame most of the time. They don't take full responsibility for their children anymore. I remember back home, parents use to be in the kids case 24/7, like where u at, did u do HW, dugsi, who u hanging with. All of this use to be important to parents. But now days, kids do what ever they wish and parents don't sweat it. Also, i think the greater number of single parents know days have something to do with it, cuz single parents are more likely to have problems with controlling their kids.

Parents need to reclaim responsibility for their kids, and stop depending on school admin, counselors, etc.

Hebla:

they all want to be IT technicians

I thought we had surplus of Political sceince, Inter.relations majors,lol maybe not.

Ladiif   

It is disheartening to see Sheikh Xaaji Maxamuud and Macalin Faarax wiilashoodii oo surwaalka badhi jablaha kaxidhan!! oo dhutinaya.

Miriam1   

Sis i suppose your being fair to a certain degree, most of the somali boys that i have seen here in Toronto are in that horrible state.

I honeslty feel that once they leave highschool and go to college or universtiy they leave behind the low pants and that digusting attitude..with everything it carries with it.

I personally know its harder for boys to find somwhere they belong...for us girls we can hangon to each other.

This is not only occuring in the somali community, but rather in every recent immgrant community.

shyhem   

Ameenah

I suggest u go and watch the movie,Baby boy.It won't give u an answer but u will somehow understand what's going on.