Sign in to follow this  
QUANTUM LEAP

SOMALI AND SAB?

Its said that Somalis came from two brothers known as Somali and Sab. The Somali of both groups are split into six dominant "clan-families" or maximal lineages--four Somali and two Sab. The clan-families are divided into clans (synonymous in much of the literature with tribes), and these are further segmented into lineages and sublineages.

Can we get all the necessary information regarding the Somali genealogy. Is it true that we really came from the above two brothers?

Baashi   

Shaqsii, there is neither written record nor oral account to confirm the two brothers account. However there is oral history that talks about this genealogy. The weird thing about this though is that each account(4 tribes) differs the other one and most of them trace their patriach back to an arab who is both noble and sheik. I say wierd because they don't seem to agree that they (tribes) are related...according the oral history.

Given the homogeneity of language and tradition coupled with oral history, European anthropologist come up a plausible genealogical chart that groups them into the six clan formula. Good read would be 'Modern History of Somalia" by I. M. Lewis.

Apparently there has never been a complete census of the Somali geneology. However, it is said that the Somali people consist of two major divisions: the Somali proper (Samaale) made up of the Dir, ***** (Esa), ****** (Hawiya), and *******

(***** ); and the outcast Sab groups consisting of the Digil and Rahanwin, who are markedly different in their occupations and dialects from

the rest of the population. The Somali language is classified as belonging to the Eastern subdivision of the Cushitic branch of the Afro-Asiatic phylum of languages (previously

called Semito-Hamitic).

Its a shame the least we know about the Somali history is what foreigner wrote for us. Just another cause for alarm.

Blessed   

The weird thing about this though is that each account(4 tribes) differs the other one and most of them trace their patriach back to an arab who is both noble and sheik. I say wierd because they don't seem to agree that they (tribes) are related...according the oral history.

You know, your right there. It really doesn't make sense :confused: :confused:

I was telling my friend that I think the 'sheikhs' whome we take as ancesstors were merely well respected individuals. I really can't buy the idea that Somalis only existed as far back as the sheikhs when we'v actually been in existence during the time of pharoa ... would love to understand redface.gifredface.gif

sorry if ^^^ doesn't make sense. Am in a rush.

Does it really matter where we came from decades ago....its good to know where you came from but to ask a question like did we come from brothers named "SOMALI AND SAB" is like asking did we evolve from chimps.

As muslims where all brothers and sisters in allah(swt) eyes....

Good topic. Like Baashi said above, there's no written record of Somali history dating back to our origins. Therefore, this topic remains open to mere speculation.

So, I think that since the story of Samaal and Sab is generally the accepted one across the Somali Peninsula, perhaps some of its elements ring true. Since all accounts of that particular portion of our history is simply by word of mouth, the story has certainly changed and evolved from generation to generation to the point whereby we're left with something that can be partly true or completely fabricated. Which path you choose is one of you're own.

Somali people like the oromo, sidamo, afars, etc are members of the eastern cushitic stock. The Sheik stories are just fabricated . It was means of imposing arab culture on somalis. People confuse Islam and Arab Identity.Somalis were in the horn long before Islam. Somalis get more in common with nieghbors than arabs. We are physically, linguistically, and culturaly related to eastern cushitics, nubians , egytpians and berbers (Moors).