Sign in to follow this  
Sophist

Book Group: Which books?

JASMIINE   

Zadie Smith: White Teeth (2000)

It has been a long time since I read a novel. However, two weeks ago I was given this book by one of my schoolmates as a graduation present. I had a rought start because it wasn’t gripping at first but after a while I was amazed by the author creativity and how well she portrays the realities of immigrant people.

What what I found most appealing was the constant strangle of people against each other who some how get involved in each other’s business. I though it was interesting how people from different ethnic backgrounds can essentially become family. The main characters are Samad Iqbal and Archie Jones. Archie is laid back all English man who an an ethiest. While Samad is trying to be a good Muslim in England. One time Samad tries to explain his frustration in living in foriengn land ““I should not have come to this country. It was the start of all my problems. Who can live in such a godless wasteland? Who can raise children in such a place? “ Sounds like something my father would say ;) Yet despite their differences they’re best friends they go their children’s parenting nights together and spending most of their time hanging in an Irish poolroom which was turned into immigrant café. While their children Irie( Archie’s daughter) and Millad ( Samad’s twin son) smoke weed at school and try not to associate with their parents as much as they can.

It was interesting to discover British Slang and am becoming a fan of Zadie Smith's writing.

Faheema.   

Sophist I strogly recommend Victory

By Joseph Conrad.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. You’ll soon know why once you start reading it. Judging from your writing style I think this might be your “cup of tea”

BN   

Nice thread.

I liked the following novels:

Master of the Game by Sydney Sheldon

An action adventure novel set in 1900's South African Diamond rush. A rags to riches story. I went on to read all his other books :D

The Roots by by Alex Haley

Please read the book don't watch the movie.It's a very moving/strong novel.

Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

A very good/entertaining book. It's also a nice way to learn some history ;)

Khayr,

I read the prophet's Camel Bell as well. Very interesting perspective on life in colonial Somalia.

MAN I CAN'T REcall most of the books iv'e read in my lifetime but let's list some

harry potter chamber of secrets i'm on page three this is my 3rd week trying to read how this lady got so rich off these books..

lol lol just kiddin with ya'll i actually did read all four harry potter books in less than two months i particularly liked the last two..

anyways i'm in a university now but i can't help but read like a kid again you know! *JUST THAT FEELING OF a FOURTH GRADER IN Virginia i guess..

i read mostly non fiction cuz a brutha sometimes be too broke to rent the movie lololololololool

juzt kiddin *again* (ladies infact i'm trully blessed with money-stacks of them)

i'm going to the library and getting the books you guys suggested but for my WOMEN SUGGESTERSs i don't like THE FEMMENIST BOOKS nott to offend you BUT a guy like me can't find the interest off a book called "breaking mans rules the womanly way" lol (just playin)

wun luv ...looking forward to somemore suggestions...

i don't know what it is, i am not racismt or anything but i prefer reading books written by black authors.

i just finished reading a book by sister souljah, it's tittled "no disrespect"....it was extremly interesting, every chapter is devoted to an individual who made a difference in her life...i really enjoyed it...the next book i wanna check out is called "makes me wanna holler" by natan mccall.

Changed   

now am actually reading a book writen by a somali author

a mighty collision of two worlds by safia abdi.. ;);););)

Sophist   

Elated to see such a great responses from many of the nomads.

Bee, woow, you are !quite on! with books on Women issues! I alsways wondered why there is not Men studies or books for men; we sure have more problems than you laddies or so you tell with great effort.

Sophist

WILDCAT   

Originally posted by Baashi:

I also enjoyed Dale Carnegies' books...all of them. He talks about how to be friendly, motivated, humble, and to be a leader...it is non-fiction. Very useful books.

This is freaky, I've just finished how to win friends and influence people!

Amazing read, I think this guy is one of those peeps you here about who's instinctively muslim. His ideology is atonishingly islamic.

Sophist   

Shaka ! yes brother with tears. That book evoked emotion which I never knew existed in me!. It is the most passionately horrific he has written. Shocking what the m********, Jiri and dayday boys did in Somalia.

Muhammad   

Originally posted by JASMIINE:

Zadie Smith: White Teeth (2000)

It has been a long time since I read a novel. However, two weeks ago I was given this book by one of my schoolmates as a graduation present. I had a rought start because it wasn’t gripping at first but after a while I was amazed by the author creativity and how well she portrays the realities of immigrant people.

What what I found most appealing was the constant strangle of people against each other who some how get involved in each other’s business. I though it was interesting how people from different ethnic backgrounds can essentially become family. The main characters are Samad Iqbal and Archie Jones. Archie is laid back all English man who an an ethiest. While Samad is trying to be a good Muslim in England. One time Samad tries to explain his frustration in living in foriengn land ““I should not have come to this country. It was the start of all my problems. Who can live in such a godless wasteland? Who can raise children in such a place? “ Sounds like something my father would say
;)
Yet despite their differences they’re best friends they go their children’s parenting nights together and spending most of their time hanging in an Irish poolroom which was turned into immigrant café. While their children Irie( Archie’s daughter) and Millad ( Samad’s twin son) smoke weed at school and try not to associate with their parents as much as they can.

It was interesting to discover British Slang and am becoming a fan of Zadie Smith's writing.

Greetings Jasmiine

altho I didn't read this book - I think there was a pbs film about this book. I also missed the program.

did you watch the film?

Faheema.   

I have recently read

Life of Pi By. Yann Martel

This books is truly breathtaking, a captivating roller-coaster of tangible suffering, belief/faith and exaltation, it is also an analogy for life. Need I say more? Go on grab yourself a copy smile.gif

guys there first and foremost there is one thing i notice of ur books,which is most of u read english books mostly authored by westerners,i am not against it but u have to try arabic and islamic books as well.to return to topic:

i recently read four books,very nice,thoroughly enjoyed and demand more all time.unresistable books .

1- autobiography unescapable question by alija izetbegovic the books consist of memoirs and sotries of the former president of bosnia republlic the diffculties he wentunder and how he was preoccupied by the decline moslim world.

2- islam between west and east by alija izetbogevic philosophical analyist of islam and thorough refut of west idoeology.i pesonaly recomend those book.

3- hataa laa takuuna kalan (arabic) by ali qarni. this very nice,stimulating book,

4- tuhfatul al-awfiyaa by sh.ibrahim cabdalah (arabic) this book is about the history of somali strugle against ethiopian deceptions and european colonial powers especialy the great role of somaligalbeed.

i recommend to all these books.

a big smile on my face, with my hand writing so first, amazing ideas coming out from these books postings, thank you

for someone who mentioned joseph conrad's victory, they should also read heart of darkness, and the critic from chinua achebe, easily found online, an eye opener, for something else within the postcolonial literature.

now then since we are talking about books, there are very amazing authors from africa, and that is mostly what i have, 'God's Bits of Wood', easily readable, the voices of the people, based in africa, senegal, the usage of islam, fascinating work, it is a must read, especially for those english readers, and for those who are always enlightened by thoughts of AFRICA and why not only somali, but as a continent suffers so, well Ousmane Sembene is someone u might want to give your attention too, cause he likes to contemplate on very interesting issues, when it deals with the westerners verses africans.

next, chinua achebe, ouch, he is a writer indeed, but i must say, reading 'Arrow of God', did hurt my head. haha

issues on south africa, u might want to pick up Peter Abrahams writing, he also wrote books on carribean societies too, the southafrican one i read, was Mine Boy. it gives u an inside of the apartheid period.

am also checkout Nadine Gordimer,also issues on south africa.

Homi Bhabha, interesting dude, if u are into folklore check out 'The Palmwine Drinkard' by Amos Tutuola.

Shabaan Robert, Ngugi Wa Thing'o, Wole Soyinka, Ama Ata Aidoo[Changs: A Love Story]

the last two names above there, most of them are play writers,

i think another thing people could start reading plays, if u haven't, it is a very interesting sort of writing, and the usage and symbolistic ways the authors use certain things. if u are a person who is fascinated, and always looking for why was this there, or this used and not that, then i think check out some short plays by David Ives [WORS, WORDS, WORDS] a comedy, and i must say, this was my first time being introduced to Kafka, James Joyce, Swift, and Milton.

anyways, more will pop up later, but in short, keep on reading, even if you are a slow reader, who hates to read, pick something u like, if it is comedy, get the smallest book and read it, because u start with one, and soon u see it growing. keep an open mind, for we can not see what the future beholds, even though the almighty knows, it is up to us to rich to it, and if we walk, with our eyes closed, then how could we reach where we are heading?

code: