Sign in to follow this  
Sophist

Book Group: Which books?

I starting reading a part of Scott Peterson Routledge's Book Me against my Brother: At War in Somalia, Sudan and Rawanda . COuldnt finish it...made me so mad :mad: :mad: . And the pictures were so graphic and heartbreaking :( .

I am currently re-reading some old favourites. I find it arduous, if not impossible, to read one book at a time; thusly, I read four or five books at a time. An effective way of palliating boredom methinks.

The following is content of my delish dish

English

The Brothers Karmazov - Fyodor Dostoyevsky- there is much philosophical themes in this novella.

Ulysses - oh what a masterpiece it is-- By James Joyce. Though this is the fifth time I am perusing this book, Joyce is pussiantly intimidating. This I love... smile.gif

Jane Austin- Pride and Prejudice-- Woe to he has deprived his mind of a literary feast.

Arabic

The counsel of the Birds منطق الطير . A profound mystical poetry by Faridu'd-Din Attar

تلاقي الارب ÙÙŠ مراقي الادب The Diiwaan of As-safti

With Salaams

PK

NGONGE   

Originally posted by opinionated:

JamaaL...disgraced or not..he can still write!

read: Honour among theives

Oh, the irony! :D

(This was in relation to Lord Archer) :D

juba   

some great books that haven't been mentioned yet and that are also my favorites are:

THE PLAGUE by albert camus-great book about survival in a time of disease heartbreaking and graphic aswell

CALL OF THE WILD by Jack London- amazing discription of the life of a wolf and the struggle for survival; protrays a wolfs life much like a human one; touching

1984 by orwell- great book about a "utopian" world gone wrong

THE CLASH OF CIVILAZIATION (forgot author!)- quite and old book but still worth the read. for those of you who love politics and world affairs this is the book for you. talks about the superpower america its inevitable decline and the next possible power, china. it also talks about the west and islam, and describes the possible wars, and how they will be made, in the future

THE GOOD EARTH by pearl s. buck- fantastic book set in olden time china. it is about a simple man sucked into the world of drinking,gambling,and sex, that is the rich life. it is his struggle to get back to whats most importan to him, the earth

Ariadne   

1)Extrodinairy Popular delusions and the madness of crowds by Charles Mackay

It talks aout how people usaully lose their identity and their morals in crowds and become

monstrous mobs that think destructive and collective. It talks about the inquisition, the salem witch trials and all the other horrors commited against humans while in crowds. Even every day horrors like pushing and shoving to get on the bus or train. :(

2) George Orwells 1984

need I say more

3) Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

Even though this book is futuristic it hits a spot for me. We are conditioned by what we are raised on or grow up with. Our experiences and what influences us....thew programming factors of human beings.

4)Cats Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut

This book is a dark satire of every day life as we know it. all rolled together with the story of the man who created the atom bomb his children and the narrator.

5)God bless you Dr Kevorkian by Kurt Vonnegut

This book is a very light read only 100 pages at most. But the idea behind it is life and death are the same coin with different flip sides. The main character has controlled near death experiences that Dr Kevorkian helps him with and he goes to heaven and interviews all of these famous dead people. Hitler and Sir Isaac Newton being just two of the people he interviews in heaven.

LANDER   

Any book in my humble opinion, by the greatest intellectual alive would be a good Read. Here are a few:

Noam Chomsky -Hegemony of Survival

-Manufacturing Consent

-Understanding Power

-A New Generation Draws the Line

-Media Control

If you would like an overview of some of his works both old and new, than I suggest "The Chomsky Reader".

Salma   

^^^ Mr.Chomsky is one of my favourite political writers.

Lander: Have you read "Pirates and Emperors" ?

Thanx

Originally posted by Mutakallim:

Jane Austin- Pride and Prejudice-- Woe to he has deprived his mind of a literary feast.

You have no idea how many times I have read each and every one of Jane Austin's magnificent books. Incidently P&P has remained my favourite since my English tutor recommended it to me at the age of 11. Gosh, how I loved Mrs Njoroge! *Becoming submerged in nostalgic memories* :(

NGONGE   

^^^^^ :D:D

IT is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.

However little known the feelings or views of such a man may be on his first entering a neighbourhood, this truth is so well fixed in the minds of the surrounding families, that he is considered as the rightful property of some one or other of their daughters.

Now we know why those eligible bachelors instantly find brides abroad. :rolleyes:

I agree, it's a great book. The BBC’s adaptation of the story a few years ago created quite a fuss. Girls were swooning every time they read or saw Mr Darcy. It kicked off Colin Firth’s career. :D

I was walking past a bookshop in the west end of london the other day only to see at the window display a biography of JOHN Snow the channel 4 newscaster.It just turned out that i happen to like the guy's style of questioning not to mention stand in the past decade.So i picked it up the book and before long i had bought it.I was supposed to go back to work after a meeting but i decided not to and i found refuge in a little obsecure Kasmiri restaurant.Believe it or not i was sitting there for a good six hours before i realised it was time to go home.This guy not only has been throughout Africa but he visited Somalia extensisvely and covered all the major events of somalia.The beautiful part is that he has lots of Pictures of somalia in there.I enjoyed it and learned a great deal especially the roots to our current problems, who ultimately is responsible, how much of the blame belongs our politicians,military leaders.He also offers proof in every case ranging from actual original documents in colour and in some cases pictures of the forces.There was one bit i enjoyed watching and that was our armed forces kicking some butt in '77 ****** war.Boy did they kick some butt and does he emphasise that!!

Originally posted by NGONGE:

I agree, it's a great book. The BBC’s adaptation of the story a few years ago created quite a fuss. Girls were swooning every time they read or saw Mr Darcy. It kicked off Colin Firth’s career.
:D

LoL @ 'a few years ago'. I think its almost a decade ago. 1995, wasn't it? In any case, it was a lovely programme. And yes, Mr Darcy was awfully sexy. Yowzer!

So, have you seen the bollywood adaptation of P&P? I hear its rather good. :D

Forget Darcy, P&P is what's delectable! Swoon. I don't have a copy handy, what agony; the desire to re-read it is acute. I will have to sue all of you SOL Geeks.

Has it really been almost a decade since that TV adaptation? Groan. Less surely. Here's a snippet:

Elizabeth Bennet had been obliged, by the scarcity of gentlemen, to sit down for two dances; and during part of that time, Mr. Darcy had been standing near enough for her to overhear a conversation between him and Mr. Bingley, who came from the dance for a few minutes to press his friend to join it.

‘Come, Darcy,’ said he, ‘I must have you dance. I hate to see you standing about by yourself in this ****** manner. You had much better dance.’

‘I certainly shall not. You know how I detest it, unless I am particularly acquainted with my partner. At such an assembly as this, it would be insupportable. Your sisters are engaged, and there is not another woman in the room whom it would not be a punishment to me to stand up with.’

‘I would not be so fastidious as you are,’ cried Bingley, ‘for a kingdom! Upon my honour, I never met with so many pleasant girls in my life as I have this evening; and there are several of them, you see, uncommonly pretty.’

‘You are dancing with the only handsome girl in the room,’ # said Mr. Darcy, looking at the eldest Miss Bennet.

‘Oh, she is the most beautiful creature I ever beheld! But there is one of her sisters sitting down just behind you, who is very pretty, and I daresay very agreeable. Do let me ask my partner to introduce you.’

‘Which do you mean?’ and turning round, he looked for a moment at Elizabeth, till, catching her eye, he withdrew his own, and coldly said, ‘She is tolerable; but not handsome enough to tempt me; and I am in no humour at present to give consequence to young ladies who are slighted by other men. You had better return to your partner and enjoy her smiles, for you are wasting your time with me.’

Mr. Bingley followed his advice. Mr. Darcy walked off; and Elizabeth remained with no very cordial feelings towards him. She told the story, however, with great spirit among her friends; for she had a lively, playful disposition, which delighted in anything ridiculous.

I love Elizabeth