Sign in to follow this  
Sophist

Book Group: Which books?

Khayr   

Salaamz'

A few books that I have recently come into contact"

1. 'In search of the Miraculous' by P.D.Ospensky

-This book is a series of discourses between the Russian Occultist Ospensky and his teacher Gurdijef. There are some interesting parts in the booking.

2. The life of Muhamed (salallahu caliyhe wasalim) by Haykal . This is an egyptian modernist scholar who is from the school of "rationality". Subhanallah, he calls the rasul (salallahu caliyhe wasalim) Muhamed through out the book and not as Prophet Muhamed (salallahu caliyhe wasalim). The Seerah (life) of the rasul (salallahu caliyhe wasalim) is always amazing to read and explains how Allah works and his creation. The rasul (salallahu caliyhe wasalim) had it the toughest out of anyone in history (He (salallahu caliyhe wasalim) had 3 sons that passed away as infants!)

3. The Companions of the Prophet (salallahu caliyhe wasalim) -This book is written in the form of short stories about the Sahaba and it just shows how human they were. A lot of the Sahaba received the worst types of punishments from their families (Uncles, Fathers, Cousins, etc.)

Some Books that I have started to read a while back and hope to inshallah some time soon to do so:

1. The prophets camel bell (salallahu caliyhe wasalim) by Margaret Bell. This book is written by an English women who's travels through Somali with somalis.

2. Biography of THE REICHMANS-Real Estate Tycoons

-The book is very thick but I'm sure that there are some interesting lessons that I can learn from them.

Rahima   

Men Around the messenger- Khalid Muhammad Khalid.

Unquestionably the finest book I have ever read. It’s a collection of stories on the sahaba in a way never related before. It’s amazingly surreal and life changing to the point that for days after reading one story I would be more aware of my worship of Allah. To this day, I read this book over and over for it does wonders for the heart.

I recommend that all nomads get a copy, its available in both Arabic and English.

Salam 3laykum.

Ar-Ra7eequl Makhtuum, The Sealed Nectar, Biography of The Prophet Muhammad (SAW), by Dr. Safiur-Ra7man Al-Mubarakpuri, Al Medina University, Published By Daaru Salaam

Best Book, I am still reading it now. It teaches about the life of the best of mankind - Muhammad (SAW). The one who we will be questioned about in the grave. I feel it has thus far induced in me a salient and most profound comprehension of the life of Rasoolu- Allah (SAW). It has given me light upon light. A must read for all Muslims who wish to mimic the life of the Messenger (SAW) in preparation for the ultimate mother of all exams (Judgement Day). This Nectar is too sweet! Make sure you don't miss out !

Mujahid over and out !

Muhammad   

There are far too many to list so here are just few of my fav:

Al Bidayah wa-nihayah - (The begining and the End) especially - "Lives of the Prophets" written by Imam Ibn Kathir. It is considered to be one of the most authoritative sources on Islamic history.

The Sword of AllahKhalid bin Al-Waleed - written by

the late Lieutenant-General A.I. Akram of the Pakistan Army

The Gulistan of Sa'di written by Sa'di

The Epic of Kings written by Ferdowsi

The Art Of War written by Sun Tzu

The Book of Five Rings written by by Miyamoto Musashi.

Siddhartha by Herman Hes

Things fall apart by Chinuah Achebe

100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

not ness. in that order

For inspirations, check the following books.....

Fascinating Womanhood

By Helen B. Andelin

This book explain men inside and out.

It is about treating your man with respect and honour, which will enable him to return the feeling with an honest heart.

Girls get the book if you want a happy partner...

Play Like a Man, Win Like a Woman

By Gail Evans

This book teaches u (girls) how to play the game of business in a man’s world. It does not only permit u to be a winner but also encourages u to do it through competition and self-promotion.

Rules were made by men and broken by women.....

Break them all... loooool

safi   

Assalamu 'alaikum warahmatulahi wabarakatu,

MashaAllah! This is a good thread, and I just couldn't resist adding my own thoughts.

Now on to the topic:

1. MUHAMMAD (SAW) by Martin Lings

A must read for anyone wanting to spend quality time in the company of our beloved messenger, and the men and women who surrounded him and shared his life and struggle.

2. In the shade of the Quran by Sayid Qutb...a marvelous book by a most brilliant mind.

3. Zero Hour by Sheik Mahmood H. Rashid.

A very slim book, but important all the same on the Signs before the end of the World. A good story book for children (if you have any).

4. Don't Be Sad (in Arabic: Laa Taxzan) by 'Aaidhibn Abdullah al-qarnee.

Very popular here in the Middle East...an Islamic version of the Chicken Soup series...

Indeed, a balm for the soul...especially so in these trying times.

Incidentally, A Mighty Collision of Two Worlds by Safi Abdi isn't such a bad deal either. I would recommend this topical novel to be added to your collection of good reads. And since I'm the author I wouldn't mind selling it right here:

http://www.1stbooks.com/bookview/11222

And last but not least, The Book of Allah, the source of all Wisdom...this is the Book to pick up everyday, for it will guide you into all truths.

Safi

http://www.authorzone.com/safiabdi.htm

Asalaam aleikum

I will like to recommend Fundamentals in Islam by Abu al Maududi. For those who would like to reflect on the objectives of the pillars.

For Islamic character -The Muslims character by Al Ghazali.

I enjoyed reading Said Qutbs work.In my opinion he was trying to project a political motive.

Ive also read Things falling apart.Worth the effort.

Read also Songs of Lawino written by an african writer dont remember the name author was Ugandan starting with O. read in my high school years. Had an effect on me on how education, westernization effected cultural norms.

For those interested in astrology,embryology or ever questioned modern science and the Quran. Book by Maurice Baucille -The Quran,Bible and Modern science is an eye opener. Allah Akbar.

Since I finished the last of my exams today (ALXAMDULILAAH!!!), I thought I should recommend some books, as I have no intention of reading another book ever again....or at the very least until I next get bored. ;)

Also, since Sophist asked "Don’t just mention the name, do tell why you feel the why you feel about this particular book which either vexed you, stimulated, or even influenced you extremely" so nicely, I felt good enough to write a brief review of the books.

I'm recommending the following books, because I think they may interest some of the girls in here, and also because they are a great read! Especially Amrit Wilson's book, which is a very powerful effort.

**Davies, Miranda (1987) “Women at War (Part2)” in THIRD WORLD: SECOND SEX, volume 2, PP.57-94, Zed Books Ltd

**Wilson, Amrit (1991) THE CHALLENGE ROAD: Women and the Eritrean Revolution, Earthscan Publications Ltd

**Vickers, Jeanne (1993) WOMEN and WAR, Zed Books Ltd

My Review

All three authors have the same theme running through their books. The effect of oppression, aggression and violence on women’s lives in times of conflict.

In the chapter on Women at War, Miranda Davies, compiled together a number of articles by and interviews of women from different parts of the third world, engaged in struggles against oppression and national liberation movements throughout the 1970 and 80s.

Amrit Wilson, on the other hand, looks in depth into Eritrea, and the role women have played in the long struggle for freedom and self-determination in this poor East African country. She looks at the way Eritrean women gave everything they own to the resistance and their dual struggle against oppression and sexism.

Jeanne Vickers's book is a study of the relationship between women and all forms of violence and aggression and the impact war has on women in general. Vickers argues that wars are mainly man-made, but the majority of victims are women and children and without the participation and contribution of women to the promotion of peace, humanity will continue to suffer.

Miranda Davies discusses accounts of women’s participation in national liberation movements in Guatemala, Namibia, South Africa under apartheid, New Caledonia in the South Pacific, Iran and Palestine. Davies, uses articles and interviews of prominent women combatants, activists and representatives of liberation and resistance movements in these countries.

Although Amrit Wilson’s book differs in both style of writing and content, her study is similar, in that she also talked to many different women who were involved in the movement for self-determination in Eritrea. Her study is constructed around the life-stories of women who have lived through the most important periods in the history of Eritrea. Colonisation first by the Italians and then by the British in 1941, growing political consciousness of the working classes and intense political activity in the early 1950s and the federation of Eritrea to Ethiopia in 1952. Many of the women have also been actively involved in armed struggles as part of the different political and military movements, especially the Eritrean Liberation Front (ELF), from 1961 onwards, and the Eritrean People’s Liberation Front (EPLF), from 1971 onwards.

Jeanne Vickers, in contrast, looks at the causes and effects of war, in general and the impact on civilian women and children, in particular. She argues that there are direct links between the arms trade, the increase of militarilisation and the decline of social services and standards of living. Vickers also claims that “most women’s experience of war is not as combatants or activists but as civilians caught in the crossfire”.

While Wilson concentrates on the historical process that gave birth to the Eritrean revolution and female participation in it, Vickers looks at many recent conflicts and "…their increasingly violent impact on civilians". These include the conflict in Palestine, the Gulf war, civil war in Somalia and the "explosion of ethnic strife" in the former Yugoslavia.

Wilson’s strongest argument is that the intense nationalism and desire for liberation, which swept through the cities of Eritrea in the early 1970s, were responsible for the mobilisation of the population, particularly the women, into joining the resistance.

"A process had started whose upheavals were to change profoundly the lives of Eritrean women and men, ultimately dismantling both class and family structure." (Wilson, pp.66)

The two main points raised by Vickers concern the plight of women refugees and the increase in the number of ethnic conflicts. Vickers convincingly argues that:

"Women refugees bear the brunt of situations arising as a result of man-made violence, and are frequently victims twice over. In the first instance their search for protection and safety may be triggered by a situation involving violence as, for example, in war, civil disturbances and other forms of armed conflict, or by persecution as an individual because of political opinion, religious belief, or quite simply for refusing to accept the role that society seeks to impose on them. Secondly, they may suffer violence during their flight, upon arrival in camps or settlements, and even in the process of being integrated into a new society, where they may find themselves in exploitative situations, entirely dependent on others for the basic necessities of life."

This is an important point, especially considering the massive increase in refugees and asylum seekers in the world in the past decade. Women refugees tend to be very vulnerable to physical, psychological and sexual brutality in such situations.

Vickers second point is even more crucial. 'The emergence of new violence caused by ethnic and other tensions'. By this Vickers refers to the war in Yugoslavia between Serbians, Croatians and Bosnians, in which atrocities were committed against thousands from each ethnic group. However as we all know, since 1993, there have been other horrific occurrences of ethnic clashes. In Rwanda where there was a genocide of the Tutsi clan by the Hutus, Kosovo where atrocities were committed against ethnic Albanians by Serbians and Chechnya where the Russians have encouraged and supported the ‘ethnic cleansing’ of the civilian population. Shall we also add the latest American incursions into Afghanistan and Iraq to the list?

The problem with Davies’s chapter on women at war is the length, it’s very short. The chapter briefly skims through the different countries and doesn’t offer the reader much in details. This could be because the topic was covered in greater depth in the first volume of her book “Third World: Second Sex”. The book is also very dated, it was written in 1987.

There are two important aspects of the struggle in Eritrea not covered in the book by Wilson. The first is famine, which is rife in Sub-Saharan Africa, especially in Ethiopia and the second is “the situation of people who have become refugees and have had to leave Eritrea”. Elaboration on these two points would have been useful. Comparison with the present situation in the nation-state of Eritrea would also be helpful to the understanding of how Eritrea has since developed as a country following independence in the early 90s.

Both Amrit Wilson and Jeanne Vickers’s books are well researched. Wilson travelled through war zones to gather material for her book and Vickers presents a notable body of evidence to support her arguments.

Many of the questions raised in these books matter, particularly when applied to the current situation in the world. Women and children will remain victims of aggression as long as wars continue to happen. This is unless women, as half of humanity, wake up and actively participate in political decision-making and the promotion of peace and mutual respect between nations.

Ma'salaama

i would have to recommend, to everyone to read "the one", it is a really inspiring book which will invoke the feeling of peace upon you, this boook tells the story of this little south African kid who faces the harsh burdens of life with black kids and his quest to survival against them, teaches him how to defend himself which results in him to grow passion for boxing and becomes one of the best boxers, i cannot recall to rememmber if his parents both passed away but recall remebering , that he lived with his grandmother

i truly found this book inspiring, mainly at the fact that, at present today when we look at south africa we can see imparcial racism present and we tend to take the black side because we are the same as them, but you see, this looks at it from a different perspective, and it will let you see that the least thought are sometimes the most vulnerable, and lastly would like to mention that it will show you that there are two sides to every story.