Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

The other somali diaspora!

S.O.S....My whole point was to put everything in historical prespective. I do admit , i have misquoted couple of times, but other than that i never accused of saying anything else....The only reason i wrote that commentary coz of wat yu said in your first post which siad ,

The modern way of refering to Africans with African features is Indigenious. (Because they did not inter-marry with supposed invaders or whoever was passing through). So can we refrain from using negroid! for the sake of our Continet

Now, i don't know about yu but anyone reading this statement would get the immpression that bantus are true indigenious people of the Africa. At least i thought that is what this statment meant. Perhaps , I could be wrong.

To answer your question, how could be there intermingling and we are not product of two races. Well, In society , there is always slow infusion of foriegn blood,but nothing drastic. People in the horn have experienced that slow infusion, but it was not strong enough to have changed our entire culture , physical traits and language , on other hand, people in north africa have lost much of their of physical traits , culture and languag coz they entirely assimilated into arab culture and inter-married with arabs in big numbers.

N Hey wat can say about himan nature.....it is sad but we differentiate each other. Can yu believe some dark-skinned sueda light skinned black person coz the light-skinned black person was discriminating the dark-skinned guy. Now this makes anyone wonder why two people have suffered racism together and whose ancestors were in slavery would discriminate each agianst each other on da bases of the shade of their skin.

MSWord...we are not fighting!

Ariadne   

Che, If what I at first said about Indigenous people, was misleading people into getting an impression that I did not intend then I apologize.

Gabbal   

From SoulSearcher's http://www.onemancult.com/rwanda/rwandapaper.html:

" Though evidence is weak and highly disputed, probably some 600 years ago a society of Cushtic pastoralists migrated from the Horn of Africa and settled in Rwanda. Descendants from this stock are categorized as Tutsi. Stereotypically, and in opposition to Hutu and Twa peoples, Tutsi tend to be tall and thin in stature with high foreheads, straight noses, and black gums ."

hey all!

firstly, i must say, i enjoyed reading wat you people are discussing, very neat stuff, i mean about time people talk some sense stuff! ok now, to get back at the question che published, which is the issue of the people in west africa and central and east africa, claiming that their ancestors are somalis. ok, this is what i have due to personal life stories and the familia!

it is true and yes it could be traced interms of the family name, i know this because i am one of those people, a somali, and did not live in somalia, my grand father migrated from somalia to tanzania, and this was due to the british empire, such as those somalis who migrated from somalia to england, now i know this is just recent interms of the old histories, now look at this picture, the cushtics/somalis are nomad people, everyone knows this, they used to migrate with their herds etc, where there is water to be found, the cushtics will travel, so then what is so hard to not understand how cushtics ended up in west africa? moreover, they are traders too, you gotta look at how the trades were going, they must have travelled, and since somalis are very quick to adapt into new habitats, they were able to adapt to the cultures of that foreign land, mixing it with their own culture(somali/cushtic). so wat am trying to say is, it is true, there are alot of families that live in the heart of africa, near udzungwa mountains in tanzania, basically inside the countires, where civilization is still a story in other parts. and the mali story, i think it is true, because not only those people claim they are somalis, listen to there language, and the way they live, their culture, and artifacts. i mean there is soo much!

Hey i support sosodeaf thanx there.

True most of us rel-sijui'z(swahili speaking somalis) great grand parents left somalia in search of a better land to graze. Some like mine worked for the KAR(Kings african rifle) sent to tanganyika to protect her magesties empire n robing us our heritage. So we ended up listening to stories about the great somaliland.One thing for sure was they made us memorise the atrismadha if thats what it means family tree n made a point of telling us where n whom was our relative. crazy but hey who can blame them they left their homes when they were young n strong settled in east africa with the dream of one day returning back to the horn of africa their home.At the same time trying to place in our hearts a sense of patriotism to call ourselves somalis and fulfill their dream. smile.gif

salam

about couple of days ago i met a chadian brother, ignorant me ive mistakin him for a somali brother i shook his hand and said salam caleykoom nafta kaa waran, then he replied im not a somali im from chad.does look like a somali cant blame myself have to say they do look like us therefore i wouldnt be surprised about their descendance being of somali ethnicity.

so do the ruwandies, islands of comores, sesheylls

and a bit of mauritanians.

BN   

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Somalis travelled/settled in different parts of Africa. Or maybe we just look similar to different groups in Africa. Other groups who look Somali include: Some Indians, sri lankans, yemeni, bangladheshi, sudanese, east timorese, some carribean, some latin americans etc.

This is the current president of Rwanda. He from the Tutsi tribe and looks Somali to me.

http://www.rwanda1.com/government/president/portrait.htm

Gabbal   

Kagame does look like a Somali to me smile.gif , but who's to say these features are confined to us Somalis only, or even Cushites :confused:

Bari Nomad how do you know he's Tutsi? :cool:

uuUh… Looks like there’s a quote war here...

Gediid, you said...

“I would like to believe that but Somalis are the people who occupy the areas that are clearily defined Somali territory,anyone else who looks like a Somali,walks like a Somali or even sneezes like a Somali isn't Somali if they are from outside that territory.”

This is not entirely true as facts show. Although it’s true that not everyone that looks like a Somali or walks like a Somali is not a Somali, overwhelming amounts of information have proven that everyone who sneezes like a Somali IS IN FACT A SOMALl.

All over the world, isolated people who’s Somaliness was in question were proven to be Somali by way of examining there sneezing.

An this has been the case throughout history, if you recall in 1875, and the also way back in 1655, and most recently in 1983 when the origins of the Yulrit peoples of southern India was in question, their sneezing showed that they were Somali.

The researcher Sir Edward Longshanks wrote in his monumental “History of the peoples of eastern Africa”, that “the main characteristic which distinguishes the Mohamaden Somalians from the other peoples of the region is their sneezing”

This is confirmed by the ancient Somali saying, which roughly translates as “You will know a Somali by his sneeze.”

I think this wholly proves that anyone who sneezes like a Somali is a Somalia, even if they reside outside the Somali territory. As we have seen, it’s not the territory, the walk, or the look that makes one Somali, but verily it is the sneeze.

I hope this clarifies this issue for you Gediid