Sign in to follow this  
Thierry.

STD or STI effected by our youths

Thierry.   

A friend of mine who works in one of the london local communities told me that a significantly high number of our youths are suffering from sexually transmitted infections. At first i did not believe him as we are Somalies and we cant have these types of problems. He told he had evidence proving that hundreds of somali youths are suffering from these infections in the UK.

How do we takle or even discuss something that is so embarassing. how can somali parents teach there children of these dangers with so much peer preasure to have sex.

or should we ignore the problem until the situation becomes like South Africa.

Salaam,

Unfortunately with some of us when the religious sheikhs or fellow Muslims or good parents tell them stop this girlfriend business, and you say sister please stop pre-marital relationships, for your own sake wear the hijaab and the jilbaab, brother stop seing that jamaican or that white blond blue eyed girl. They in more words than one reply " Verily, these people (preachers) are a people that wish to be purified". In a somali rhetoric "war dee naga tag, wuxu muxuu ahaa? And now they wonder ! in a state of amazement that they have HIV or STD, woe unto us :rolleyes:

A practical solution is to direct them to the local youth health centres which not only provide contraceptives but advice and information. Awareness is the key.

Remember...the only sure way to prevent catching any STD's is total abstinence

Am not shocked R_O_Y because quite frankly we know that somali youth unfortunately have become lost and vunerable to the tempations of this western life style where we free mix quite frequently.

Most of those that do engage in the relationships ((if u can even assume that its more than just a one night thing)) i would suggets dont live @ home, or if they do the isnt sufficient guidance or parental care. So am not so supprisied just saddened, as with most of the problems that afflict somali communtiy here in the uk it is that there isnt sufficient level of care displayed by the parents, guardians of some of these youths hence they same ppl who dont progress to Higher education and find themselves usualy in trouble either with the authorities or @ home are those that have been neglegted. Of course they too are @ fault but i cant help feeling that there is so much factors/issues/problems stacked up against them that it is no wonder we do see and here some crazy going ons these days

I think a level of eductaion on the risks possed to promiscious behaviour would help curb such unfortunate trends, however the route lies with the fact that all to often the senior family memebers are just simply unable or unaware or uninterested about where their children boys especially and even nowdays their girls are?? so it is such a supprise that they end up contracting these dieses

All the more case for the establishment of a somai community based on servicing the needs of somali ppl in the disapora

LadyMo   

Shujui-1 I agree wiv u but I dont think its all to do with parents. I mean u cant lock sum1 up b'coz ur afraid of wat they mite do.

Even if a parent take the initiative of becomin more involved in their child's life and actually does sumthin about it, it wont eva stop a teenager doin what he/she gotta do! Its often the 'best' of us, u kno those little angle-like kids with the perfect religious parents whom does sumthin drastic or is it only them whom gets noticed??

A person can only become a real person when he/she learns to deal wiv his/her own problems and by learning from their mistakes!

--

Howeva a famous sayin goes sumthin like;

'A clever person learns from the mistakes of others' and dis is soo true.

Living alone has nothin or very little to do wiv STD's or infections.

Another thing I've always found weird is all those young somali girls whom just happen to get pregnated by 'that boy' I mean how silly can u get?? If u wanna commit a crime u dont leave evidence lying behind now do u?? doooh

Yeah I kno sum of u mite say mistakes happen but making a mistake (i.e havin sex) shouldnt be accompanied by yet another mistake (i.e not using a condom!)

LadyMo   

Ooh and if u were soo silly dat u actually happened to make 2 mistake in 1minute you could at least go to ur local GUM clinic or Walk-in centre and get the Morning-after pill (within 72hrs, preferably 24hrs after the incident) & if u didnt have de guts to go there within the 72hrs in other words 3DAYS after it happened u cud get a coil fitted and get protected against gettin pregnant but if u choose to do nothing then ur pretty much askin for it urself aint ya??

U mite ask urself why I kno dis well I'm at uni studyin to become nurse!

salaamz...

the reason for the increase in the STD problems facing the somali communities is that somali parents failed to realise that upon entering the western world the problems they and the generation the will produce will have 2 face. they think that tradition and values are the same as what they held when they were growing up, so the thought of sex or drugs even being mentioned is enough 2 enrage any somali parent. and that is the problem. they seem 2 be closing their eyes on issues that will most definatly effect their child whether they like the idea or not. what needs 2 be done is to educate the parent about these issues and 2 train them in method where they can begin 2 build a open communication barrier with the youth. this give youth the confidence 2 discuss the emerging problem they are facing and the weight of peer pressure, not 2 mention giving the parents the reasurence of knowing that their child is ok with discussing these sensative topics with them. this gives the parents the chance to steer the child in the right direction and help prepare the their kids for the fight ahead. not 2 mention this will also help 2 better equip the parents in picking up the earily indications on whether child is experimenting with drugs.

subxan'allah i didnt intend to write so much. dats just my 2 cents worth. take care all and its good 2 see worth while topics that r about serious issues effecting us somali. nice going rookie.

wasalaam.

NinBrown   

The problem of STDs and STIs are common and increasing the the UK among all races not just us somlians, the overall increase in STD was 28% in London last year and for the 1st time in 14 years the rate of HIV infections has risen this and there are more infected hetrosexuals than homosexuals, so the problem in real and present in london and the UK. As for us somalians the problems are increasing and whats worse is that people keep it a secret and they dont present themselves to the clincs which are usually annonymous.i have seen inproportiate number of somlians with HIV in hospital settings, they look like any other boy or girl in our society. i agree with the rest of the contributaors on how to takle this problem....the ultumate solution is following our religion and keeping away from fornication. for those who blame parents or the lack of education look at the kufars, their parents tak to them about sex, the get educated in school and so on.. but STDs still occur because they dont have a religion like we do....so allaha soo hanuuniyo dakeena ..thats my 50cents