Sign in to follow this  
Najmo

African IDENTITY

Baashi   

Even scholars couldn’t come up a definitive answer! Surprise! It is not science…it is like Hitler’s eugenic project and his quest to place the Aryan race top of the human ladder. Remember people he entrusted that project were Anthropologists.

Both Dr. C.G. Seligman and Loring C. Brace concluded that, we Somalis are Caucasian if Siman’s article is valid. While Joseph H. Greenberg would like us to believe that we are probably the parent of the Caucasian race. Smith disagrees and insist that we should be put in “Brown Race” basket. African American scholars and other handful scholars resent the Eurocentric view and interpretation of history and cultures and dismiss the idea that ancient Egyptian are Greeks. They all claim that they arrived their conclusion through scientific investigation. This thing is very subjective and a tool to justify a preconceived notion.

I’m still convinced that Somalis are Africans and they look the way they look because proximity of Asians and their trade interactions resulted interracial marriages…the same thing our forefathers kept telling us. Let them dig graves and do measurements just don’t listen Anthropologists and their crap!

LANDER   

Loool....specially at the nigerians being infesting cocroaches....lol

You make a very good point also about the ghaneans being proud of their political history.

They sure like to brag about their weak minded UN secreatary general Kofi Anan.

LANDER   

Najmo I couldn't agree more with you about your views on Africans and Somalis. Some of us definitely believe in this so-called "identity crisis" created by some of the ignorance in our own culture. Truth of the matter is Somali's are Africans and despite our diversified ethnic history, we have more commonalities with the african ppl's (arab or otherwise) then any others on this planet. This inability among some of us to call ourselves African, as been created by some of the ignorance in somali culture. Some of it also probably has to do with the western cultur making Africa look like a pitiful continent and africans a pitiful peoples. So naturally some somalis would like to distance themselves from these associations. Many times I've been approached by other black africans about this partern they seem to observe amongst somalis, all I can tell them in return is that obviously not all Somalis deny their african identity and I for one stand proud.

Baashi....I disagree with inter-mingling argument....Iam not gonna disagree over centuries, there is slow infusion of foriegn blood into our culture.This happens in every culture and is not unique to somalis only. Somalis along with eastern cushites, berbers, egyptians, hausa, etc are unique race of their own. If we were of product of asiatic people and bantus, we would have like more the swahili coast people. Linguistically , Hamatic people are grouped with semites. This is simply coz semites aka arab n hebrews have inter-mingled with certain hamatic tribes. Arabs are product of Nabi Ibrahim and Hagar( An Egyptian). When the jews were thrown out of Babylon, they came to egypt and eventaully to the promised land, Badal kanaan(present day palestine)...land of canaans who were hamitic people. Semites adopted a lot of hamatic culture coz they lived in hamatic dominated nations and lands. Our origins lies in africa and the hamatic people are black people. The moors were the last ones to establish a great hamatic civisalation. Eventually, north africa got arabized, the nubians feircely resisted the arabs,but they eventually accepted Islam and lost the their heritage in the processes.I think the hamatic myth is put down by many scholars for two reasons. The first being, eurowhites used the myth to pretty much take credit for every civilasation that existed in Africa. Europeans were looking for a reason to justify slavery , colonization, and exploitation of Africans.

The second reason lies with the simple fact that no one wants to be first to admit africans are diverse and different from each other. Afro-centric scholars hate the idea of dividing africa into bantu and hamatic races even though there is clear distinction between the two groups where ever yu go in Africa. Whether be in Rwanda n Burundi, East Africa, West Africa or the north Africa, one can tell hamatic black person from bantiu black person. Their languages, lifestyles and physical traits are different.

Baashi   

This is simply coz semites aka arab n hebrews have inter-mingled with certain hamatic tribes.

Che..we are on same page. The only thing is I like to put more faith in our oral history. True Swahili look different as their interaction between them was very recent and constraint with muslims place on pagans where marriage is concern is very strict. We are Africans as Spanish are European. Everywhere on this globe where races interact the blood infusion is inevitable and undeniable.

STOIC   

Ali-somali, i could not agree with your dramatic histronics.in your posting you sounded like as if a somali person could not write such an article.you were jumping down Najmo's throat yet you did not mention who the original author was.i think you have some wisdom but please when you are making your comments could you please make your argument more explicable.post the evidence or grab 40 winks.

JASMIINE   

Najmo, that was helirious and informative especially the Nigerians. :D

Guys Najmo has said he's the author of the article so let it go. ;)

Folks, history is my witness while geography is my guidance in emphasizing that Somalis like the Jews enjoy a unique identity that differentiates us from the rest of the geographical African continent.As for Stoic, I guess it's academic suicide for you to haphazardly and consciously endorse the despicable plagiarism committed by the unapologetic Najmo.If Simon of Fox's American Idol read Najmo's stolen piece, I guess his response would be:"This academic plagiarism is worse than the looting of Iraqi National Museum!" Indeed I feel guilty to even share my valued thoughts on the subject of African Identity while deep down Najmo knows that an academic crime has been committed!Fellow believers in the sanctity of academic integrity and freedom, I urge you to keep petitioning Najmo to prove by refering you to any site that indicates Najmo is the aunthentic author of the African Identity article.Najmo you dont need to hide under misplaced vocabularies instead do the right thing by admitting the obvious.I have already shared my concerns with all the reliable sources including the administrators of this site, regarding your big academic lie!Tonight, I wouldn't like to be an accomplice in your desire to engage me in discussing a plagiarized work. However, I wish to recognize Che-Guvara for your high academic intelligence in sharing historical facts to support your points. Sure, I gotta give credit where's it's due! Fellow Somalists, there's no need for character assasinating me for stating the obvious: Somalis are a unique species of humans that naturally desire to exist like Somali! I exit the forum while holding my Somali head HIGH yet frowning on Najmo for dishonesty. Folks dishonesty is un-Somali! Viva Les Somali!

LadyMo   

Ali-Somali wud u eva let by-gones be by-gones??

Wat r u gainin from penalisin Najmo? Dats de problem wiv Somalis today sum1 says sumthin and

whether or not its their own words they hav

2 b hammered down, Y is it us Somalis hav problems

wiv sharin joy and being happy for one another??

Conflict from de most un-important things like

who originally wrote wat Najmo shared wiv us

is wats dividin Somalis as a whole!

I've said it b4 and I'll say it again

I'm Somali and since Somalia happens to be

the Horn of Africa Im African FULLSTOP!

Who cares about history datin back more than

100's of years? It wont make a difference 4

2day will it?? Or wud ya'll run 2 de Arabs

and thank them or find out who ur related to

shud it be discovered dat we're indeed linked

to Arabs??

At least we as Somalis can names upto 15 or 20 forefathers which is more than many other

countries can do.

I mean why dont ya'll ask wat makes an American

an American? After all they hav a shorter history than we hav right??

LANDER   

Ex-Dane I agree with you 100. If Ali really believed that history is his witness like he saids, he would know that every nation and every ethnicity in this world is comprised of other ethnicities. Sure there are some groups of people that have experienced more ethnic diversity in their history, but there are many such peoples in this world and Somalis are far from being the only ones. I also find it sad you compare us to Jews, maybe you would like to elaborate more on that part Ali.

Gabbal   

I also find it sad you compare us to Jews, maybe you would like to elaborate more on that part Ali.

Bravo Lander

Najmo's topic was: African Identity. AFRICAN=A native, inhabitant of Africa.A person and especially a black person of African ancestry.IDENTITY=Sameness of essential or generic character in different instances. The condition of being the same with something described or assorted.If my Somali mind serves me right,Najmo's plagiarized posting dwells more on the effects of foreign influence on the diverse African cultures rather than the TRUE identities of Africa. According to Najmo, he/she views the colorful African identities through the biast lenses of western ignorance.I find it rather disheartening that Najmo chose to parrot the article's euro-centric viewpoint instead of even mentioning the vibrant African cultures that best expose the richness of Africa's different identities!Remember for me to share my views on palgiarized work violates my basic academic integrity which I cherish second to my freedom!Folks for better and learned information of African identities please take time to read Prof. Ali Mazrui's articles and books about Africa on the internet. At least Prof. Mazrui is an authentic authority on African history. Somalis most homogenious people on planet earth.Somalis we MUST be proud to be unique and NOT allow reverse political correctness deny us our special place under the shinny African sun.Stay Somali! Survive Somali! Out of many we are one!