Sign in to follow this  
Najmo

African IDENTITY

biG mOm   

As-salaamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu

Talo: hadaad hadal bilaabeysaan salaamta islaamka ku bilaaba!

--Najmo you wrote best article---

Mahadsanid sister

Wasalaamu Alaykum

Zaylici   

I wonder How does Najmo our woderfull lady decided to identify her self with continent given the gact that Africans are collection of races with diverse hisotrical experiences. After all how did she decided that we better identify our selves with Africans. I see no reason for us to think our selves as Africans other than using the African forum to beat the Ethiopians. The fact is that we share nothing. even we do not share a color and geography is nothing After all Arabs are Africans.

I think we better identify our selves with who we are Somalis as such. We are not whites, we are not Arabs we are not blacks after all there are Somalis who are brown why should they beleive that they are Blacks. White/Black dichotomy is Europian invention and to catogorise one on the basis of color and geography has no political significance other than illosory imagination of so called African identity as serve Africa is an entity that is meaningfull. I think we have reason to belive that Africa is identity no more than an Araninan would consider her self as an Asian. After all to be an Asian is not an identity it is georaphy and nothing more.

Najmo   

fist tanx biG mOm for the compliment.

second to reply to Zaylici, let me remind you of the fact that what you presented is quite an argument, in no way do i agree with what you're saying, simply because the argument you presented is one of the reasons some Africans/Somalis are having an identity crisis, a concrete example is my beloved Somalis.

For many reasons that lie across the board the main one is the aftermath the war, which has made it difficult for our population to be settled in their country peacefully, and in response Somalis are scattered around the world, young pple forgot how to speak their language as well as how to maintain their culture, and merely assimilated to whatever culture they were exposed to.

You said "we better identify ourselves as who we are" who are we? if we can't be identified with a continent,you used philosophy to argue against this, but philosophy increases questions rather then answers, and to be honest with you whatever Europeans did has been done, to use that as an argument to self distruct identity is outragiouse and nonsense, identifying ourselves with Afrique continent is justification for an identity that consists of customs, history, language, literature, music, and art which are an integral part people's idnetity and cultural heritage.

Oh and finally here is where Africa came from it was not by Europeans, it was by Berbers

"In the early times 'Africa' was used by outsiders to designate the continent. The origins of the geonym itself are still being debated. The dominant view is that it owes its existence to the ancestors of today's Berbers who referred to themselves as Afer (singular) and Afri (plural). The ethnonym became the geonym for the whole region of today's North Africa, and the Arabs transliterated this into Afriquia. " ;)

Peace

Najmo, 1st n' foremost, WLC!!!

The easiest way, of course, is the name, for example "Ogunkoye", "Ekwekwe" or "Babangida" can only be a Nigerian; a"Njoroge", "Otieno" or "Kilonzo" must be from Kenya.

TRUE!!! that's how I distinguish Africans from one another. Hehehehe. Loving your sense of humour. But when it comes down to it, we have alot more in common with this continent than any other. I wonder what Somalian respond first when asked where they're from?

najmo, ur topic was an intersting read, if i have to say it myself, but yet partly true.

specially the algerians "they do hate french" but yet the french has the most algerian community in europe.

"oneluv"

Najmo   

hi ya'll,

Tamina tanx 4 da welc sis...it's been sweet ever since i joined the nomad community lots of intellectuals.

newKidmaali, damn your name i had to open another window and go back three times... :D

true what you said, lots of Algerians simply cuz they were colonized by them, it was i heard same thing with us and Italians, pple go there to study and although most algerians hate the french troops, there were lots of french pple who helped the algerians get their indipendence, and those pple definetely lost their french citizenship cuz they bitrayed their govt.

peace

LadyMo   

Najmo dat was a brilliant posts I swear probably de very best! It was informative yet it had a sense of humour attached

(so I surely didnt fall asleep while readin it,lol, more like I got stomach pains for over-usin my abdominal muscles) ;)

"Where else would you bump into a name like "Promise", "Immaculate" or

"Patience" other than in Zimbabwe?"

Damn dat is sooo right! I study and live wiv soo many Zimbabweans and their names are soo hilarious I mean they all have English christian names (first names) but they have African surnames which is funny. I mean how can u name ur child Patience, Blessing, Immaculate, Fortunate and so on? I mean I love the meanings and all but it just seems a lil odd to me-probably coz its in English.

Somali people use Arab names (mostly) and then we say oh dis name means dis in Arabic. So possibly de Zimbabweans say ooh dis name means dis in English although most people speak English there already.

Once again Najmo keep doin wat u do. :cool:

Miskin   

to those of you who say that we nothing in common with the african continent, can i ask you a queston "how will we identify our selves?? not as Arabis i am sure,but how?????

some somalis claim to be of Arab origin, some claim to be an African origin, some claim to be an Ethiopian origin, soma claim to be of a mixed race origin (between Arabis and Africans), much to the confusion even some claim to be an Asian origin. these are some of the miths we somalis believe, but what is the truth???

i guess Najmo will tell us

come on sister over to you

very keen to learn

miskin-macruf

LadyMo   

I'm African all de way!

Why wud I wana call myself an Arab?

Give me 1 good reason any1.

Wat good hav they eva done for us and wat hav we got in common? Nothin absolutely nothing.

U cant say Religion because religion doesnt depend on one's nationality or ethnicity!

Its clear to see dat Somalia is in Africa i.e The Horn of Africa so why deny it? Probably coz many somalis view them as inferior and possibly coz de whiter de better if u kno wat I mean.

But I'm very light and people often think I'm an Arab or half white but I'm African wateva they say! Even though I was born in Denmark!

I'm a proud African sista :cool:

Rokko   

Ethnically and culturally, Somalia is one of the most homogeneous countries in Africa. Even though we have some minorities, the Bantus and Arabs, we only integrated and married with the arabs..and felt or pretty much let to belive, we were da same..or originated from there na'mean. But we only had the religion in common. We were pretty much blinded as when it comes to ouside world. But thanx for the Qabta, lol, now it's normal for some Ina Guy/Gal reer Hebel ah to date some African/american or outside na'mean...lol where back in the dayz it would've been like...WHATA @!#$@#$%@#.

In other words, Arabs were the first muslims who came there, taught..work..and live with us na'mean so we thought, da heck,...lol. Imagine, if Chinese Muslims, would've come ther first..lol c'mon now aight I ain't even gonna say nada.

I guess, people are kinda finding out the truth now though, so let's stay Nomad aight.

Gabbal   

I just want to say that I completely agree with Zaylici.

"Africans are collection of races with diverse hisotrical experiences."

"the fact is that we share nothing. even we do not share a color and geography is nothing After all Arabs are Africans."

"After all to be an Asian is not an identity it is georaphy and nothing more."

Najma,

Beautiful Article, 2 thumps up smile.gif Can't agree with ya any more that we are African.

I don't know why would some one doesn't wanna admit that they are African (Somali's that is)... It is common sense just cuz we share religion with the Arabs which makes us closer to them some people think we are Arabs and are getting confused also not doing enough search. Regardless the religion WE are African's.. MARYOOLEEY Please wake up!!! There was a song I used to hear back home that say

Afrikaay hurudooy, hurdada ka kac. Now I have seen a lot of Somali's who happen to be the 1st generation are loosing/forgetting/abandoning their roots.. Why are we surprised if the young once claim to be American, or where ever they live now?

One other question for those who think they are not African. What do people (non african's that is) think when they see you? An African or ???

Nabadeey smile.gif

Najmo   

Shakuur I couldn't agree with you more, your point is well put.

my answer to many bros and sis who still believe they're not Africans is try to do some research, you might find that your ancestory was more like monkeys then Arabs.. ;)

on seriouse matter I believe race, when self-defined by continent of ancestry, is a true reflection of the genetic differences between us and Africans as well as Arabs, Somalis and Ethiopians are both Admixture or Cocasians including Portugese/Arabs and Africans.

But one true thing that remains is Somalia is Africa wether you like it or not you're considered African by rest of the World.

PEACE