Arafaat

Crisis Group Report;

Arafaat   

REPORT  309 / AFRICA  21 JUNE 2022

Considering Political Engagement with Al-Shabaab in Somalia 

The war with Al-Shabaab’s Islamist insurgency has dragged on for fifteen years. As it reviews its options, Somalia’s new government should look into what room there might be for dialogue with the group. The alternative is more fighting with no end in sight.

DOWNLOAD PDFFULL REPORT (EN)

WWW.CRISISGROUP.ORG

The war with Al-Shabaab’s Islamist insurgency has dragged on for fifteen years. As it reviews its options, Somalia’s new...

What’s new? 

Al-Shabaab’s lethal insurgency continues with no end in sight. The group consistently stays a step ahead of local and regional military operations. Combined with dysfunction and division among their adversaries, the militants’ agility has allowed them to embed themselves in Somali society. It also makes them hard to defeat.

Why does it matter? 

The protracted war has cost countless lives and derailed Somalia’s state building project. There is growing domestic and international consensus that Al-Shabaab cannot be beaten by military means alone. Yet there is little appetite among Somali elites or the country’s international partners for exploring alternatives, notably talks with militant leaders.

What should be done? 

Putting off efforts to engage militants in the hope of gaining the upper hand militarily or forging greater unity among elites will prolong the conflict indefinitely. The government should seek discreet channels to Al-Shabaab leaders to test whether political negotiations and confidence-building steps might be feasible.

———————————

Wondering what to think of these deliberations and thinking? 

• Like 1

galbeedi   

It is always others telling what we already know, yet since they are the only people whose opinions matter to the world we welcome it.

While I do believe that Al-shabaab could be defeated by only Somali forces, the chances of building one and the evil  free hand the big financial companies have in the affaires of the state makes it difficult. Yet, this tragedy of our own kids killing and bombing us , and we in return trying to kill them is a disaster that must end. It is the theory of chaos ( Isku jabi) invented by the American military .

Inaga iyo caruurteeni ayaa la isju keen jabiyey. 

If president Hassan Sheikh decides to negotiate without conditions , I would welcome it.

Colka waraf ma lagu deyey! I too believe it is a good idea to talk to them, to stop the bloodshed, and if Hassan decides, it is a good move.

I honestly don't believe Somalis can beat this, why! how long has it been? and the virus is spreading. The SOMALIS are too divided and fragile to face them, we don't have strong military men, like in the past with the courage and know-how to face them.

Administration, after administration, they are still here and doing more damage than ever.

• First trust-building, and 3 to 6 months of ceasefire,  from both, and start negotiations, maybe Qatar or external party, trusted by both can get involved.

Check here new PM Hamza wake up call, after close 20 years of training Somali police and army, national leaders are STILL guarded  by foreigners!!

I don't believe anything this group says since its Soomaali desk was and is dominated in the last 15 years by anti-Soomaaliya jaajuusiinta Sahan Group, Matt Bryden and his stooge Cabdirashiid koow ka yihiin. I remember their yearly lies to UN Monitoring Group.

8 hours ago, maakhiri1 said:

Check here new PM Hamza wake up call, after close 20 years of training Somali police and army, national leaders are STILL guarded  by foreigners!!

Farmaajo and Kheyre stopped this practice in the last five years. During Xulasho Rooblaawe Baahane soo celiyey after his repeated request and accusing Soomaali security. Blame him.

Arafaat   
1 hour ago, Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar said:

I don't believe anything this group says since its Soomaali desk was and is dominated in the last 15 years by anti-Soomaaliya jaajuusiinta Sahan Group, Matt Bryden and his stooge Cabdirashiid koow ka yihiin. I remember their yearly lies to UN Monitoring Group.

Well understood your points on the Crisis group , but now tell us ur view on the issue?