Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

The Evil the Good in Us

Someone once told me, everyone of us(humans) has a good side and evil side and that one pre-dominates the other in different circumstances.Iam beginning to believe that maybe true.

I was reading a story about the Rwandan Genocide( the killing of million tutsis in just under one month),the story was about this pastor and his son who is doctor both being tried for actively participating in the genocide.These men are by anybody's standard good people, one tolerant religious and an educated doctor. They are both respectable figures among their community.They were equally good to the Hutus n Tutsis before the ugly massacres started. My question what turns normal reasonable people into cold-blooded killers?. This story is repeated all over the world from Nazi Germany, Bosnia to Somalia where neighbors turned on each other.

The oppisite is also true.Normal folks rise to the occasion to stand up for their freinds n neighbors. A lot Hutus were killed defending their Tutsis neighbors and friends. what movitated these people stand up for what is right in the face of grave and immenent danger?

This too repeats itself all world including Somalia.

Is the circumstances that control how one behaves?.

Is the circumstances that control how one behaves?.

Well i can say, thankfully, that am not speaking from expirence here..........however being a veteran of countless documentaries and History Programs i conclude, using my common sense aswell, yes.

The circumstance do really controls how you behave to a great extent. Of course your own principle and Morality come heavily into the mix.

However for the examples you mention

contemplation of the size, nature, and duration and indeed consequence, those are the crital facts that someone caught up in such an event would be facing up too and contemplating.

It is in this reality that ppl then make their choice, to flee or to stay, to defend my neibour or to save my family and so on.

So perhaps it isnt really as profound as Good or Evil it is?

Bachelor   

THE ONLY "EVIL" IN OURSELVES IS "OBEDIENCE TO AUTHORITY"

As far as i am concerned, as human being we have an intiuition knwoledge of what is human and inhuman. Let alone someone who claim to be a Doctor or a pastor. The core problem for such despicable action is nothing but OBEDIENCE

Lets shift gear to somali issue for one moment. Had the "moorians" not obeying the war lord, do you think all that killing and loathing would have happened? Mankind should take a full resposiblity for his/her action and must learn to say NO in some instances. As Aristotle puts it " Wicked men obey from fear, Good men, from Love"

Ariadne   

I do beleive theres is good and evil in all of us. It all ties in with the balance of life or the duality in all things living or the yin yang (where everything has male energy and female energy. Yin is masculinity. Yang is feminity and this is transferable to positive and negaive energy where all positivity has negativity in it and all negativity has positivity in it). Any "bad" person can do good and any "good" person can do bad.

Gediid   

I think its an inherent will to do evil that takes over and not the circumstances that dictate whether a person will do evil or good.Lets take the case of someone mercilessly killing an innocent person while their own blood will risk their life to rescue another.What makes these souls different is not the circumstance but rather their inherent desire to either commit evil or do good for others.

Good points guys.

I personally think it is combination of an inherent evil in us and the circumstances that determine how we behave in wars and bad times.

Let me ask this, i have seen a picture of Adolf Hilter as baby taken in 1890 and below the picture, there is massage which said," Would you kill baby Hitler if yu were transported back to 1890"?. what is your view?

Let me ask this, i have seen a picture of Adolf Hilter as baby taken in 1890 and below the picture, there is massage which said," Would you kill baby Hitler if yu were transported back to 1890"?. what is your view?

Certainly not. It is not a light thing to do taken a human beings life..........and the fact is your are speaking Hypothetically of course i wouldnt. Why coz a baby is a baby

Ariadne   

Of course not, a baby is a picture of innocence they can't do any wrong because they don't know what wrong is. They are these empty vessels that get filled with the experiences they grow up with. Thus it's not that Hitler wasn't a paranoid murderor, but when did he become this way?

interesting topic!!!

I believe that as humans over the millions of years we have been in this earth, have feed two types of dogs inside of us, a bad one and a good one. I don't believe that evilness is inherited in everyone, i think it all depends on what we believe is important to us and how the environment helps us nurtier those values or believes. Why genocide of tutsis, i guess i would say fear and ignorance are always the reasons for killing of million of people. Even now, look at why the americans trying to attack Iraq, because they fear they might be stricked again, although in the whole 500 hundred year of this new world, they had only had the civil war happening in their own yards, but as soon as they got attacked in 9/11, fear has just made them more paronoid than before.

so for an evilness, to me it is borned out of fear and sataan lives on feeding fears. We have as of now have no value for human lives, we put prize tags on everything, so can we be suprised when neighboor or a brother kills his neighboor or brother.

Sophist   

Salams,

Call me dippy but isn’t this nothing short of theological philosophy went mad? I am like many of the silent readers in puzzlement with the definitions of Evil and Good. Such words evoke emotions without the emotioned (if such word exists) having a clear understanding of the word.

Good and Evil had become the habitual mantra of the moronic figures like Bush and his puppet Blair.

Thus Spake the Old Nomad

S.O.S , Shuju, Cushtic-sista.....True, a child represents innocence and goodness...but do yu think anyone would tempted to take a child's life knowing before hand this child will grow up to be living monster one day.Do yu really believe it is how we are nurtured that determines our actions.

Scorpion-Sista....By our very nature, humans are predisposed to being evil-minded. We are creatures of thought. Our brains is both a gift and a curse.