Sign in to follow this  
Observer

Do you support..!

English is not a difficult language to learn in comparison to arabic. It's way too complicated. If the child is taught Arabic from pre-school on, he/she will not lose the ability to atleast read/write. For example, moi, even though I was enrolled in Arabic school all through elementary, I can still read and write. I may not understand it, but that's better than nothing. This works for your advantage when reading the Quran. I'm taking arabic this semester and the grammer is not very easy to digest.

English is important in today's world. After it's the universal language. But just like French or Spanish, it can be taught in later years in schools.

Blessed   

Why do we have to adopt the language of another nation?

We are Somali, we speak Somali... so we should teach Somali.

I would suggest that Arabic be the second official language and english offered as a foriegn language for strictly economic reasons.

Language is power and the choice of official language in any nation speaks volumes. I thought the introduction of the written script of Somali and the removal of colonial languages from the education system was a wicked 'middle finger gesture' to the British and the Italians :D:D

sorry I get too into my languages :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bachelor   

We all are aware of that Somali is broad language with deep substance. However, realisticly speaking we dont have neither the capablity nor the potential to utilize our language at this moment. Meaning, to teach in somali upto graduate school. One has to take to a considration how many educated people requires to effeciently and accurately transilate materails. I personaly would very much liked to see that but i am skeptical. Therefore, My vote would be for Arabic since every Muslim requires to learn that language.

We are Somali, we speak Somali... so we should teach Somali.

I agree that with you, Ameenah. The official language should become Somali, but there shouldnt' be second official language. That would mean, everything will have to be written in both languages. Just think about---writing everything in two language. The street signs, will have to be written in two languages. That wouldnt 'be fun at all.

President...thats pretty sad thing for somalis in jabouti.

Personally i think Somali should be the official language of any future somali State. Arabic should also be taught at schools since we are muslims and it is also economically useful since we interact and trade with da Arab States.English should also be required subject for pure ecnomical reasons.

N.O.R.F   

I was mainly refering to laguages being taught as a second language after somali. As for english being offered for stricly economic reasons, who will decide who can learn english. I think ppl should get the choice if they want to learn the english language or not. After all we want a democracy right?

Somali is the language of the country, the other two are bit more in use i think!

Samafal   

Asalaamu Alaikum,

Hi all bothers and sisters, feel good to be back on SOL.

coming back to the thread. Since we are somali and our language is somali the medium of communication should be somali only. But for religious and economical factors we should have a sytem in place which teaches people other foreign languages such Arabic (to understand the islamic religion), English ( to communicate with foreingners). we can teach soamli in primary schools and arabic and english in higher educations. in that way we don't lose on both worlds. that is my cents nomads ...see around

bye