Sign in to follow this  
Waaq

Federalism: Is this the right way?

Waaq   

It seems that all discussions as to the future of Somalia begin with the assumption that there will be some sort of Federal State with a weak central government and strong state governments.

I thought this was the best solution until a discussion I had with a professor from Toronto. His suggestion was that all federalism does is to move the problem to a state level, and that it doesn't solve the problem of beginning to create a functioning Somali state that reduces the importance of clan.

What do you all think?

Annunaki   

Personally i think that the federal syatem needs alot of financing that we do not have and in the case of somalia an unbearable leavel of beauracracy.

Even that were the case i would if it were the wish of the majiority of the ppl support a fedralist state, but i know for a fact that the only reason why these un-educated warlords are clamouring for a federal state is so that they may run these state as there own personal feifdom.

Also most somalis when talking about a federal state are thinking about a confederation i.e an amalgamation of small states, in somali speak that means an amalgamation of somali clans, so instead of adressing the clan issue it confers on its most destructive segment consttutionsl legitamacy.

Imagine that in our present day somalia.!!!!!

BN   

Waaq,Annunaki,

First of all we tried centralist government for 30 years.It didnt work as you can see... :cool:

We have never tried federalism/confederation, so lets give it a chance. And dont make excuses like it costs too much etc. :mad:

Federalism has worked all over the world, and it will work in Somalia. smile.gif

By the way, many regions dont want to reunite with out federalism(NW,NE,SW,Central) ;)

So anyone who longs for the "good old days" of a one city state, in which most of the people's local concerns are not met-can keep dreaming.

In a federal state, local governments have obligations to their people. And they will have the authority&money to deal with those issues.

1Luv

Liqaye   

a centralised republic did not fail in somalia but a centralised attempt to impose clannism failed, there is a diffrence.

Do you really think that we can afford hundreds of deputies in every state legislature, thousands of civil servants be duplicated at every level, can we even maintain it, do we even have the capacity after 12 yrs of war did we have the capacity before the war, and i can assure you that the reason why there is such clamouring for succesion is selfich self promotion , so i gots to agree with annunaki

AUN   

Dear OGUN,

A Centralised system where everything from passport to planning authorised in Mogadishu. As a result, it became the only city we had due to the system we inherited and as aware, Somalis culturally are independent and therefore need a loose system of governance as noted by the late British traveller Burton when he noted that Somali are “fierce race of republicans” In addition, federalism would not do any harm as it has been practiced by most of the developing and developed world.