Sign in to follow this  
Bambina

Tapping events

Bambina   

Salam Alaykum ,

Im pretty sure most of you girls went to weddings only to find out that most of them were tapped by professionals ,usually men.Whether weddings or other small gatherings organized by women , men have always been around to tape every event.

So I was wondering with the wide availability of video cameras smaller and easy to use ,why wouldnt women step in and take charge of videotapping?

Some people tape their own events and with the use of a computer make their tapes like professionals at home.This will be great because you get to be yourself and you're not watched by men.What do you girls think?

Rahima   

According to some Somali women/girls, ninka cadaanka ama midka indhayarka are not "real men".

But then the ********* of it all is that in a few months the tape is watched at so many qaad sessions by so many men anyway.

It is for this reason that i see no difference between women-only weddings which are taped and the mixed ones. Same Same.

Bambina   

Salam Alaykum ,

I know there is no difference whether a man or woman tapes events.But let's say that you're organizing a party where only girls are invited and you ask a woman to tape it. Well you get the tape for yourself at the end which is great.My point is women should rely on themselves ,instead of requesting men to do it.

lol   

Bambina: Unless u tell all the women who have attended the party that they can't take the tape out of your house, there is no guarantee huno. Remember some of these women chew qaad as well... and the men they chew with are watching you once u give out that tape. So I really don't see the point in having a woman tape it anyways. If u having problems with the video thingy... be alert and watch out for the lens.

One way of getting around that problem is not to tape ur events at all. I have actually never seen the point (oh I know know...for reminiscence purposes, but that alone doesn't seem to be a good enough reason..photos should be enough). Whenever I watch back any of my uncles/aunts' wedding tapes, I cringe with embarrasment. Some things are not worth saving.

If I have a party or a wedding (long shot, but go with it :D ), I would want it to be for just that moment in time, just for that day...saved only in the memories of the participants and not on a video or a DVD.

But if that isn't practical, then Bambina's suggestion is a good one. More women should definitely get into the photography/videoing market. They would make a neat profit.

Rahima   

Bambina,

Yeah I suppose, but like Hibo pointed out, unless you keep the only copy and none of your male relatives view the tape, it won’t work. The other thing is, somehow or other all tapes just seem to make it on the Somali market. So many swear black and blue they will keep the only copy, yet somehow it's out there.

photos should be enough

My sentiments exactly!

This is very silly.

I always figured the men video taping the events are professional men PAID to do the job.

I would like to know the logic behind having a female video recorder When there is a TAPE that has the potential to be seen by thousands of non maxram males, why should ONE or TWO male professionals be an ISSUE?????

If you don’t want a man doing his JOB, then why limit it to the video taping?

Lets take a notch up and also make sure NOT TO SEE A MALE doctor.

Plain lack of common sense from you lots out here. Separate professionalism from personal life.

Blessed   

^^Well, actually seeing a male doctor is allowed by Islam because it entails the perseverance of LIFE, which is always paramount in Islam.

Whereas, video taping....well-- in contrast to a medical is pretty useless if you asked me.

You'd have to address the necessity permissibility of the video recording before even addressing the none-maxram man issue...!

Like it’s been said, it’s pointless as Men always gain access to those videos.

^Damn right!

Well, the issue is if you gonna get video taped in the first place, what difference would it make if its done by a man or a woman?

You are eventually gonna be seen by thousands of men anyway?

Its the double standard that has me scratching my hairless head! DUH!!

USELESS!!

Raxmah   

Bambina I see where you are coming from, having an all female party and having male do the vidoe tapping doesnt make sense. But as the sisters above said it really wouldn't make any difference becuase it will be a blockbuster soon enough. Pictures is enough for me.

It's so cheerless and distressing though when you are attending a wedding of a loved one and all you can concentrate is avoiding the lens.

Also what is it with somali weddings, the invitation says Only females, but the door of the hall has a crowd of males who have nothing better to do.

Som@li   

I guess there is nothing wrong as long as the guests are behaving islamicly, the problem rises when half naked girls dance around,and the tape is being recorded,

Reason why many men see the videos is cuz it is kinda marketing tool and many girls are hitched thru the tapes,i also reckon Some girls do go to parties , with the intention the men will see them later, on tape!!!!!! :D:D:D

Bambina   

Salam

As a Hijabi ,Im not confortable at the thought of being taped by men , which is why I dont go to mixed weddings ,except one time and I deeply regretted till today.

For example , my friend taped her bridal shower by a lady who fixed it on her computer in the confort of her home on a CD .Of course , the lady swore she never showed the CD to anyone because she understood how muslim girls felt.Only God knows the truth ! Its a matter of trust .The ideal will be the tape/CD not to be shown outside your home once you get it.And thats the whole point of my topic.

I believe most of you understood what I meant , except Afromali.In fact , drawing the comparison between not hiring a male video recorder and not seeing a male doctor is to me irrelevant! If no female doctor are available ,then I'll seek a male one , Islam even states it.Should I add that your other comment regarding us having a plain lack of common sense is irrelevant as well?

Arwa   

I have to agree with Farxan there ...Most Somali girls do go intentionally to tapped weddings so that when the tape is viewed she will hopefully find a husband, I personally know many couples that got hitched this way...in some countries like the Middle East Somali girls believe its the best way a girl will get her way to travel to Europe, America...etc

In the Middle East when a wedding is coming up, some girls go to extreme measures just to get it right, look dazzling and out shine the competition. This is no secret, it’s a well known fact there, and even parents encourage their daughters believe it or not! Yes some Somali mothers do that.

So you see its different from one person to the other, one country and the other, Rahiima touched on the pathetic ness of some Somali ladies, the ones that excuses and labels some tapped weddings for being halaal since the Cadaan/Indhayar man is not conceded man enough for them to have xishood! Worst of all its true usually those tapes are played in Qaat sessions for the amusement of the grass chewers

I believe most of you understood what I meant , except Afromali.In fact , drawing the comparison between not hiring a male video recorder and not seeing a male doctor is to me irrelevant! If no female doctor are available ,then I'll seek a male one , Islam even states it.Should I add that your other comment regarding us having a plain lack of common sense is irrelevant as well

My Apologies.Bambina.