Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

Dhaqan Celis?

DHAQAN CELIS is a new term in the Somali vocabulary. Somali kids from the diaspora are brought back to the Motherland, to teach them about their culture and language. It has been called "the quiet revolution". If you visit a city like Hargeysa or Boosaaso you would see kids running around wearing Fubu/Karl Kani gear claiming to be from CANADA, USA, the UK. They are learning the language very well and some of them have miracelously paid a visit to BAADIYE. Most of them love the exotic experience. :D

Now, my question is ... would you ask your parents or relatives to take their kids back to the motherland for DHAQAN CELIS? Just for the school/summer holiday?

Have you ever thought of going there yourself for DHAQAN CELIS ... if you happen to be one of the unfortunate ones that is? smile.gif

Having been in the west for a decade or so, I have seen so many kids totally losing their ways and most of their cultural heritage. Most of them dont even know what to say when greeted in Somali and a lot more of them scorn on their own ways, dress code or behavior. The pride that used to typify the true Somali is now in real danger of being diluted with infringements from other cultures and more so the wrong kind of culture. Our home stay should be Somali though I would say go pick the best from other cultures and try to come up with what’s acceptable rather than be someone without roots.

In response to the question asked, I think its of major importance to ship teenagers back to the motherland to get culturally boosted if not reconfigured.

Samafal   

The idea is very good. I got one of my young brother returned home after what we thought he was slipping out from of our hands. Now he is enjoying the experience, although he found the place so different and strange. But it is sad that some of the things which worry us here in the west are now easily obtainble back home. I recently read an article in of the somaliwebsites that children returned from the west get their hands on all kind of drugs and they indulge native children the habit. I think it is good idea for the authorities if there is one to make a rehabilitation projects fot these kids instead of them thrown away in to new enviroment which they dont understand nothing about it.

sMiLeY   

I tell my mom to take my lil brothers to Somalia everyday .....they're so westernized plus they can't speak Somali :( ....but she says it aint safe enough....i don't blame her. Anyways i myself would love to go back...maybe in few years ..... i need to learn more about my dhaqaan and go to baadiyo .....have some CAD iyo CAANO :D

I only been in Somalia for one week in my whole life and that was when I was 2 months old. I have thought of going back there but as it is right now I dare not. I mean I wanna live till I am atleast 30 (inshaallah) and all of these stories I am hearing from relative and friends dont exactly help me change my point of view on this whole matter.

I cant help the way I feel on this issue. But before any of you get the idea that I am "fish and chips" I would just like to point out that I do know about my culture and I dont act like a wannabe.

boycott   

My point is clear on that: Its all about maturity process, we all must go back soon or later for good.

The phenomena taking back kids for dhaqan celis won't help from acculturation, it can only cause trauma in their minds.

If the parents don't forget to impress them sharply our defended values, i think they'll go consistently by their own will.

Those like me who saw the day in somalia, we just feel that as a natural call, no matters how far we are set apart from our culture.

Blessed   

My baby bro went this summer and it had a very positive impact on him... He's never been to Somalia but spoke the language very well and was quite cultured (my influence of course lol).

Anyhow, the people there were rather surprised that a lil dhqan celis knew so much Somali.

Anyhoot, he learnt about the culture our families'roots and unfortunatley some qabiil stuff, which I thought he had no business knowing about, but I suppose it's a part of culture.

When he came back with all this proud talk of Somalia, going back and the boy is making plans about setting up a business there in the future.

It seems like, his brief visit to the mother-land has given him (and all of his mates)a sense of focus.

Every kid needs to see their country.

Soon... I'll be going back for some 'dhaqan celis' myself .

Salaamz,

I don't think shipping the problem is going to solve anything. In many cases, its the corrupt ones that were sent back, that have corrupted the youth backhome. In some other cases, back home aint all that pure, people just come back with bad habbits like chewing qaad and so forth. Although I recommend every one get a chance to see where their ancestors call home, I think its no alternative to good parenting.

A family holiday is understandable - Dumping a kid is indefensible.

9 out of 10times the kids r tricked, and dragged Against their Will - Not always as pleasant as you guys seem to put it. Some parents have the guts to leave a kid or two behind with the supervision of a Geeljire relative and not blink an eye!!! Not to mention the # of girls getting their treasures butchered each Summer.

I'd rather call it 'Traumatizing children' then 'Dhaqan Celis.' - There are always Boot camps for out of control teenagers - Parents should consider that option before trashing their kids.

mataan   

salaams;

I think it is good idea to take kids especially those born in the west back home. I dislike the term "Dhaqan Celis" thou, it just dont sound right to me. Recently Somalia became kinda dumping place, most of those who are taken back are corrupted, criminals, drug addicts/alcoholics, and mentally disturbed. Many parents only take their children/youth when they are fedup with them. I dont think those ones should be taken back home, they will only influence those back home.

I even heard that if you go to some parts of Somalia no matter how old u r or how long u have been in the west, they still call u "Dhaqan Celis". And if you are lil chubby they will say "Wuu mudan yahay". This is because majority of youth who are taken back fall into one of the two categories...

i blve only good ones who are ready/willing to learn their culture should be taken back... as sis Ameenah mentioned her lil bro came back with ideas of going back and making business, those r the kids that deserve to be taken home.

macasalaama

Abdinuur   

Yes! I think it's a good idea to teach our youth about Somali culture so they may achieve an understanding of their roots and about their heritage.

Rather than shipping them to Somalia in order for them to receive this "cultural understanding," another idea is to build schools in the western world and have courses that might be helpful and beneficial for everyone. A lot of other ethnic groups such as Asians and Latinos teach their native language in schools, even through university and college levels. So how come there is no Somali language being taught?

It's just a matter of organizing and commitment.

Ramadan Kareem. smile.gif

Curly   

lol...you've just reminded me! ;)

they called me "Dhaqan Celis" when i went on my holiday to Somaliland.

I didn't like people calling me that in the suuq, i thought it was rude.

when i was called that my reply was usually "Dhaqan bise"

But in Burco they don't like outsiders,and i think thats the worst place to visit on a holiday.

HONEY-D   

I totally like da idea of dhaqan celis i'm sure my 20+ nephews and nieces could do a little trip to somalia since they have lost the language, culture and if we dont keep them undersupervised all da time could loose da religion as well, but than again where would u send them da whole of somalia is in a state of war.Even some of the places dat used to be peace aint so save now wat a shame. :(

Ramadani1.gif

Just last night this Somali lady was complaining of her son's ill-manners and was contemplating of shipping him to Somalia n' rip his passport. In most cases as most of you mentioned Somali parents act on this in substitution of parenting. If you couldn't raise your child how can you expect another to? I just don't get it. Its sad to know that some Somali parents just lose hope on their own kids.

Another concern is that when these kids are dumped in the motherland, they usually end up hanging out with their trouble maker peers. They also get their hands on weapons, drugs, etc. How is this suppose to reform them?

On a positive note, I don't mind seeing some of my siblings goin a for a lil visit to Somalia but UNDER SUPERVISION. It'll strengthen the mother tongue which is the most important aspect of any culture.