Sign in to follow this  
Jamster

Who gets your Vote: The greatest Somali

Zakariye   

s/alykum

Rudy , you amaze me, how did you come up with that conclusion, that i am Reer Bari , cz i have mentioned Sayid mohamed and Dr C/rashid , God bless them,makes me be one , wow, that is good to know at the Labeling we are making now days, .But u r very observant.

c/sslam

zaky, sxb, dont dance with me, cuz u know i can dance!lol!! so just say it bara, dont be shy!!!

by the way where is ogaadeenya? redface.gif

loosen up folks! just kidding! dont sweat! :D i gotta yall covered raar cagaweenah! lol!

koonfur   

This is a good topic. We talk about non-somalis almost all the time like rappers, celebs, sports players and so on. So, now that we talking about true somali hereos is great. Since we are voting for our favorites here, I think a poll would be nice so that can see who gets the most votes. By the way my vote goes to the Sayid.

OG Moti   

Mizz Unique Ahmed gurey being as somali is doubtfull, but yes he was a hero and he was great man my vote goes for

SAYID MOHMED ABDULLE HASSAN

Peace

Muhammad   

do you guys know that the son of Vasko Da Gama, was leading the portugese army that come to the rescue of Ethiopia and defeated Ahmed Gurey and his Army?

Think about that next time they teach you about Vasco Da Gama and his expeditions in school!

strange that some years ago, I was big fan of the Brazilian soccer team, Vasko De Gama.

Aqoonla'aani Waa Iftiin La'aan!

Salaan...

Originally posted by OG_Moti:

Mizz Unique Ahmed gurey being as somali is doubtfull...

A man with a name like Axmed Gureey maa dhahoysaa his Soomaalinimo is doubtful?????? Cajiib iyo nuskeeda. Intee ka keentey warkaas? Yuuna ahaa marka, Oromaa? Soomaali Aboow muu ahaa? Mise Cafar?

Aniga Sayidka aaba halyeey Soomaaliyeed oo u sareeyo aan u aqoonsan lahaa, however you had changed my mind, and now Axmed Gureeeeeeeeeeeey aa halyeey u dooranaa. Sayidka is the next, don't worry. And then founders of Leegada, among them:

• C/qaadir Sakhaawadiin {Anyone remember any iskool named after him in Xamar?}
  • Max'ed Cali Nuur
  • Yaasiin Xaaji Cismaan
  • Dheere Xaaji Dheere
  • Cali Xasan Max'ed {Farduro}
  • Xaaji Max'ed Xuseen
  • Max'ed Faarax Hilowle {Farinaajo}
  • Khaliif Huudoow Macalin
  • Max'ed Xirsi Nuur {Sayidiin}
  • Cismaan Geedi Raage {Is there anyone who attended the school named after him located in Hawlwadaag district?}
  • Max'ed Cismaan Baarbe
  • Daahir Xaaji Cismaan
  • Max'ed C/llaahi Faarax {Xayeesi}
The founders of SYL, the fathers of Soomaalinimo, the Aabiyaashii Ummada Soomaaliyeed meel walba ay joogaan. Kuwii ka dhintay Ilaahey ha u naxariisto, kuwii noolna Ilaahey cimri dheer iyo cibaado suuban ha siiyo: Aamiin.

Macsalaama.

OG Moti   

maskiin macruuf loooool sxb ukaaadi bal, i didnt mean that way, what i ment is Ahmed gureey was a muslim guy maybe harari, and gureey was added by sumalis his name was not gureey, anyway i would love to find out he was somali, but i read history of horn africa and there was a doubt of him being somali, any way i totally agree with u 13 guys of SYL were men of courage and honor, www.syl2.s5.com join that club bro.. it is re introducing of famous SYL

peace

nuune   

can anyone give us some information or history related stuff about this guy Ahmed Gurey

even myself,i heard somewhere else that he is not somali,they said he came from zanzibar island and the Gambia.

Jamster   

Nuune, there is good book written in Arabic with the name of Futuuxaat Habasha. His history is well documented there.

Good luck with the research-- I hope it would be a fruitful one.

Respectively,

Farah

Muhammad   

check out this painting:

038.JPG

"As we study the patriotic paintings, we find that the subject of warfare is often introduced as in all nations where warfare and patriotism seem inseparable. This is a painting of a Muslim warrior, Ahmed Gran, who was probably the fiercest Muslim warrior to battle the Christians in Ethiopia. He was a 16th Century warrior whose valor was undisputed and whose powers were said to be miraculous. He was impervious to bullets, and his huge sword could severe a tree. He was killed by a combined Portuguese-Ethiopian army.

Portrayed in this painting, in the upper left-hand corner, are Portuguese soldiers with rifles, in modern uniforms, and Ethiopian soldiers with white headbands, sword fighting the Muslims who are in green. Also pictured is a tree which Ahmed Gran has sliced with his sword. He claimed bullets would not kill him. As you can see, there are bullet wounds and blood streaming from him. He was killed by the combined Portuguese-Ethiopian soldiers after he devastated much of the highlands of Ethiopia. He invaded several Ethiopian churches and subjected many of the Christian Ethiopians to indignities of all kind."

http://www.shorelinemarketing.com/pages/038.htm

-----------

Info on: Imam Ahmad ibn Ibrahim (Gurey or Gran):

If you want to read up on Imam Ahmad ibn Ibrahim (Gran) start with the chronicle of his campaigns, Chihab ed-Din Ahmed ben Abd El-Qader (Arab Faqih) *Histoire de la Conquete de L'Abyssinie* (trans. Rene Basset), and with the most comprehensive study of the subject, Takla Tsadiq Makwariya's *YaGran Ahmad Warara* (Addis Ababa, 1966 E.C.). All accounts rely on Arab Faqih, but you might also look at Cerulli *Studi Etiopici: I. La Lingua e la Storia di Harar* (plus tons of articles published all over the place), Trimingham *Islam in Ethiopia* and Cuoq *L'Islam en Ethiopie*

Dialog on Imam Ahmad ibn Ibrahim (Gran) and Queen Gudit

English: J.S., Islam of Ethiopia, 1952, pp.84-90.

Gediid   

Originally posted by Conquest:

do you guys know that the son of Vasko Da Gama, was leading the portugese army that come to the rescue of Ethiopia and defeated Ahmed Gurey and his Army?

Think about that next time they teach you about Vasco Da Gama and his expeditions in school!

strange that some years ago, I was big fan of the Brazilian soccer team, Vasko De Gama.

It was actually Christopher Da Gama , Vasco Da Gama's brother who came to help the Ethiopians against Ahmed Gurey.However upon landing in Ethiopia half the army of 400 portugese soldiers and their leader Christopher Da Gama were ambushed by Ahmed Gurey and subsequently killed in the ensuing battle.So dhaweyn fiican dheh.

Muhammad   

Originally posted by Gediid:

quote:

Originally posted by Conquest:

It was actually Christopher Da Gama , Vasco Da Gama's brother who came to help the Ethiopians against Ahmed Gurey.However upon landing in Ethiopia half the army of 400 portugese soldiers and their leader Christopher Da Gama were ambushed by Ahmed Gurey and subsequently killed in the ensuing battle. So dhaweyn fiican dheh.
Gediid, I believe Christophe was the son of Vasco, not his brother.

see here:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/1984/GA.htm

http://www.xenohistorian.faithweb.com/church/xr06.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0006380832/ref%3Dpd%5Fsim%5Fb%5Fdp%5F5/026-3502385-7215662

Insha'Allah I will try and find a better source.