Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Being Somali is a Choice!!!

Ariadne   

Ah man I think this is another one of those moments don't get me wrong I will give everyone a chance but when you think Im a male when everything about me spells beoyatch then I wil run you over again and again ;) for the last time Im a girl girl girl girl girl girl, a girl God damn it!

oh but thanx for telling me both pros live and teach in Mn it cleared up my confusion

Thankx guys for your input!

Shyem....Well bro You are right,you only heard muy part of the story and you don't have to take my word for it...I guess you could choose to believe me or not....But whole point of the discussion is about somalis who do anything to avoid fellow somalis and trash peopel and on top that does nothing to relieve the sufferings or the ignorance of their countrymen....I can understand their frustratioms but there is limit to everything and i don't think they shouldn't be given a free pass to say everything they feel like....and There is no any "BUSH DOCTRINE" here, Iam stating if you ain't part of the solution, simply get out of the way and keep your pessimism to yourself.

TIIMBARO   

I agree with Che in the sense that we sometimes do preach self-hate, but you have to know bro Somalis haven't done anything that can remotely be considered constructive. All we have done in the last 12 years is destroy our home and we show no signs of ever going back to the sovereignty somalia once enjoyed. I don't know if

Somalia can be constructed in the forseeable

future to make it fit for its inhabitants. The

people back home lack any kind of vision which would inhabit them of getting indulging in this cycle of endless civil war. Most of us are scattered all over the world as a result of our actions. That's why the somali youth in the west can't show any respect for our traditions, that's why they want to point out the short-coming of our way of doing things.

Jeenyo...It is true we haven't done anything constructive in the last decade. We left our faith in the hands of few murderous men. But i think people are war weary specially those in somalia and they merely looking a right leadership to guide out of this havoc. Unfortunetely no one stands out right now and every somali's attitude become "what could one person do".

TIIMBARO   

Che, you concluded it very well. There is this common notion in the eyes of many somalis in the west, that somalia is utterly hopeless and can not be constructed anytime soon and that Somalia will continue to be in this state of anarchy for years to come. The somalis back hope look to us as a source of hope and we continue to dissa-point them. The people are unsentimental because of the hard conditions over the long period of the civil war. I think one thing that's keeping us back is our traditional way of thinking, the nomad way of thinking. I think it's a genes that we have borrowed from our fore-fathers. It's colture that isn't progressive and the change has to come from those western educated somalis.

mahadi   

Not true. Somalia and Somalis have done much for themselves in the last 12 years. Sure, not as much as we would have hoped. Sure, still lots of problems. But there is hope.

Most advanced telecom in Africa.

Rebuilding of the much of the NorthEast and NorthWest.

Close to a 1 billion in remittances to Somalia from the diaspora.

Business of all sorts occuring

A University

No major famine

These are all accomplishments for a stateless society.

BTW, there is a third Samater (no relation) professor at Rutgers, and he wrote an interesting essay about his own travel from a self hating somali back to a proud somali again. I think it can be found on the web somewhere.

"I always wondered other than critism,what have they done to help liberate their fellow nomads from ignorance and hatred?"

Excellent question!!!

There's nothing wrong with challenging the negative aspects that's present in our culture but to denounce your roots and on top of that bash the culture in its entirety is quite sad. If we don't have hope for Somalia, who will? Bush?Anyway, its a personal choice to care for your people and ur culture.

*Dashes to get more coffee to pull an all nighter for exams* :D

Samafal   

CHE - well said bro. i hate when somalis compolain about themselves and how they have nothing to do with somalais...we have to know somalia is for somalis and it will be so whether bad or good

TIIMBARO   

Hey I am not a self-hating Somali, I am just stating the facts here. Discussing the predicament of Somalia is a constructive and there is nothing bad that can come out of it, so cool this empty rhetoric. Where is my bro Che Guevere? mr. Che set these guys straight maaaan

we need you here.

Thankx for your input guys.

Mahadi...Iam sure when it comes to individuals bases , alot of somalis have done well in their lifes. But it is fair as community we have failed terribly.

I hope something good comes out of current day somalia before we go extinct.