Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Being Somali is a Choice!!!

Many somalis when asked for their opinions would spend hours going through the ills of the somali society...Being somalis themselves, they are more than entitled to critize the failed the somali state and society.However they are the few that go to the extremes in their critisms(more like bashing to me).I had an oppurtunity to meet young somali who is collage student.Being a student myself, I struck a conversation with the fella about schools and studies.While we were still talking, Somalia came up in the conversation.It started with the usual rethoric which iam too all famaliar with.Most of the things he said were factual and true.I agreed, nodding my head everytime he points out the past abuses and misiries inflicted by the somali state upon its population.And i also agreed with him the fact that not many somalis stood up to the Barre regime when he was first massacring the civilians in Mudug in early 80s and later in the northern cities in 88.Most somalis kept silent as they weren't the ones being killed.As we continued with chit chat, the guy started to move away from the facts and begun over-generalising things.We argued for long while about the somali people and land.He referred to somalis as being warlike, arrogant, stupid and lacking the ability to learn.He blamed the somalis for everything that happened in the Horn from the instability, starvation to wars.After that i just couldn't take his crap. Let me first say iam not person who tries to get in to defensive mood everytime the Somali situation is critized.Infact i will be the first one to point the wrongdoings of the somali people.Even in cases when foriegners ask me about somali dillema.I tell as it is.They might laugh at the fact we are killing each other cuz our tribalistic nature.But reality is better than self-deception.There are times that one should just swallowed their pride.One should however understand the difference between critism and right out bashing.Many somalis would say that other somalis are bad and ignorant.I always wondered other than critism,what have they done to help liberate their fellow nomads from ignorance and hatred?.I put this very same question to the guy.And his answer was "i have nothing to do with somalis".I tried to reason with the guy but to no avial.It is just sad to see somalis judging its own people simply the on the facts from the last sad thirty years.People forget Somalis have endured many hardships and fought for its independence.Somalia is country with long history.It wasn't created by a couple arab shieks marrying local women.It was there during the times of the pharoahs who are referred to somali as the land of the Punt.Our people have always been united in bad times to defend our land and honor.Whether be the 16th century when Ahmed Gurey united the somalis to fight the Abynissian expanistionists who were defeated and two-thirds were captured, or the during the sayid times or laaga movement, Somalis have always been there for each other.There were and are somalis who put needs of the people before the self-interest.Somalis that say they have nothing to do with their fellow somalis and somalia, should be told that somalia too has nothing to do with them!

Am I wrong saying that?

Che...

Interesting Topic....I heard this Somali Professor from MN who is giving a lecture in Columbus, who talks about how Somalis have same type of Biological Deficiency which he says is the reason why we are in the present situation.

Talk about self hating Professor...

Jamster   

Proud Nomad Fella,

I would greatly appreciate if you could provide me the details of what Dr Samatar had said in Ohio.

Farah

jaaluut   

when is prof samatar lecturing in the midwest? let me know so that i could drive to ohio and see what he has to say.

CHE GUAVERA, Patarick Lamumba,and many other freedom fighters.....

i like your analysis and agree with your conclusions. i feel the same way.

Baashi   

Somalis that say they have nothing to do with their fellow somalis and somalia, should be told that somalia too has nothing to do with them!

Am I wrong saying that?

No

Dhimbil   

Can anyone tell us what exactly Pro. Samatar said..(which one was it, cuz there is 2 Pro.Samatars)..also I doubt if the whole lecture was about somalis Biological Deficiency, what is his reasoning for this? did he do sceintific research?

Illmatic...I think he is the prof from MN, Iam not sure if he did any research!

Jaalut....I don't have the text of the lecture..i was hoping someone would find it!

Iffah   

Che,

That was nicely put.

"Am I wrong saying that?"

Definitely not!

I say it's their loss. We will never benefit from people with an attitude like that anyways. But they'll come running back sooner or later... :rolleyes:

shyhem   

I can see the manifestation of bush doctrine of u'r either with us or with 'em here.How come none of the nomad has questioned the biased attitude of the author.

Che qu

We only heard u'r part of the story and hence it hard for me to agree with u.

Even though i believe u're somehow right,i still believe U have not presented much information for me to actually come up with a conclusion. Furthmore things will have been easier,if i had observed u'r argument with the guy coz by than i would have come to my conclusion based on facts not what one party says about the other.