Sign in to follow this  
Observer

Standard somali?

nuune   

loyan,sxb you better know af galti more than i do since aad dhahday haruubkii baan wax ka dhamay,i don't have any samples really,we used to call people from the Ogaden region REER GALTI and the way they speak af-galti,because they were speaking a pure somali may i say standard somali,kabtan kabteedi kale kobtan tiilay yaa kobtan ka qaaday,correct me if iam wrong,anbadan=kobtan

about the waamo and sujuu stuff,i like the way they speak,it is somehow kind moolaati,iyaah,see iska dayeesaa,ar maxaa itiri,ar yaab waaye iyo bambiiro,dibigeega iyo dibigaaga aa madaxa isla galay,keega waa laga raayey(saan waxaa dhahay koo naagtoo shukaansanaayey)

RAMADAAN KARIIM

Haashim   

MMA, Sxb raalli waan ahay, waadna mahadsantahay, aniga kaliya waxaan jeclaanlahaa sida aad hadda u soo qorteen oo qof walba meesha uu u maleynayo uu sheego, aniga, sidaan horay u iri waan qaldanaan karaa, laakiin sida looyaan ayaan rabay qof igu baraarujiya qaladkeyga.

Loyan, sxb wey dhicikartaa iney isticmaalaan kelmadahaas oo kale laakiin saan is leeyahay wey dhaantaa WEY JIDHAA IYO MA JIDHO WAA ISKU QABAN JIDHEENE, WAXAAN JIRINNA WAAD DHIHIOJIDHEEN WAA JIRAANE WAX JIRANA WAAD DHIJIDHEEN MA JIRO E, IWM.

MMA, sxb reer galkacyood hadlkooda waad aragtaa waliba waxaa u sii dheer waawallooy, war heedhe ma kuu dhab, wuu imaanaHAyaa, HAdu waa siyaado.

Nuune, ka warran EEGGADAN, KOBTANTADA, MEEJAAN, AGA IWM.

Looyan, sxb waa runtaa xamar khalqi badan ayaa isugu yimid oo kala duduwan, marka meel dhexe haddey isugu timaaddo waa macquul, it makes sense. laakiin xamar aawey hadda?

xamareey waa lagu xumeeyee yaa ku xaal marin doona?

RAMADAAN KARIIM

Bachelor   

As far as i know Standard somali is spoken around somali galbeed, nugaal and north. The reason i just came to such a conclusion is Most if not all the famous "gabyaa" came from this area or associated with this area. If we look back to the history.

Rokko   

Originally posted by Loyan:

Nice topic Observer!

Mataan ... poeple from Nugaal have their own dialect. It goes some what like this:

"Maxaad sheegaysaaNIIN"
smile.gif

"HALAKani waa ReeeyDDiyow Nugaal"
smile.gif

Loyan, that is Gaalkacyo dialect namean?. Reer mudug talk like that bro.

Reer nugaal would say something like this

Maxaad Sheegaysaa

Halkani waa raadiyo Nugaal

I know this because my father is from Nugaal. I Never heard him talk like that.

jabarti   

If the question is who speaks standard Somali language, then everyone does, because your standing point of view might not be same or equal to mine.

Therefore, let me rewrite the question to an acceptable one to everybody,

Q: (which dialect or spoken Somali is well receive or understood by all/most of us?) and if that is the case then I would say MUDUG, GALGADUUD & NUGAL.

If u includes my list to Hiiraan then give me the meaning of (YA WEBUGU XAW LA WALAXTAMAA, AMXAARAA WALAAQAYDOO SOOMAALIYAAY KU XUMAYNAYDAA) is that a pure understandable Somali to everyone.

If u include BARI, THEN tell me this (XUD XAAD=MAXAMAED MAXAMUUD IN REER BARI DILECT) OR YAA CASAYR TEGAY YAA RABIISH CUNAY YAABA KUGU RUBAY)

If u says Northern Somalia or Waqooyi then tell me the meaning of (WAARYAA SHUUN CABDILAAHAAY SANGALAYDHKII AAN GASHANAAYEE BAYTIL MAAYGA UGA TEGAY EE MIYAAD TUUDHAY MISE KABADHKAAD GELISAY).

If u says Djibouti then tell me this (CEELAABOW MACOOYO WELI KANIIFKAY KU JIRTAA MAAHA).

If u say Baydhabo, tell me this (HOOBADAALE TIINBADEE HATAAN GOODKAAN LIIGA ARAGEE)

If u say Reer Xamar then explain this (WARAA ANOO CISMAANTA JIIRADA CALI CALIYOW KU MAJIIJINAAYA AA DHOORIHII OO ADOOGEED IGU QABTAY NOOH, WARAA GA'IGA SIISO AAN DHAHAY NOOH, DUQA MARIID UU IGU NOQDAY NOOH, BAKOORTUU ILA DHACAY BALCAMAL NOOH, WAA QAYLINAA INTAAN DHAHAY AA XAAFADA DHAN LA IGU SOO SHAMUUMAY NOOH.)

SO U EITHER ACCEPTS MY WORDS (VIEW) OR YOU PROOF ME WRONG.

PEACE AND LOVE TO EVERYONE

HAPPY EID MUBARAK

JABARTI

Salaamz,

IMO, I think trying to place what we would term Standard Somali in a geographical area is a futile excercise. The reason is, it being Standard Somali, it has borrowed terms, idioms and parables from all the different dialects Somalis speak. Therefore, in construct, it is a center for all dialects and not wholy one form of one. Having said that, concidering the fact that the chief architecht of written Somali was from Togdheer, then it would heavily influence in the end product. However, the term DH that is heavily used in Togdheer and vicinity was replaced with R. That is why you have Cali Khalif Galaydh's name written like this, Cali Khalif Galayr (The Former Prime Minister of the TNG). The reason is, most Somalis do not use the DH as much, therefore it was abandoned to make a STANDARD SOMALI for all. Furthermore, in the reshaping of Somali, terms from Gaalkayco were used simply because, they are the most original terms that Somalis have. Lets take a look at say, Door. I would normally say, Albaab, but that is Arabic, and people from Gaalkacyo would say Irrid, and this what is officially PROPER SOMALI. You can see, Somali Spoken in the North, or in the South, are heavily peppered with Arabic, English or Italian, but some how, the natives of Gaalkacyo have unique Somali terms for certain things. Further, it being Some where in the Middle of Somalia, we can say it has been intrumental in bridging the gab between different dialects in that it has produced unique terms for certain words that have been adopted from foreign languages.

P.S. Jabarti, lol I'm from Hargeisa my friend I have no clue what you just wrote.

"WAARYAA SHUUN CABDILAAHAAY SANGALAYDHKII AAN GASHANAAYEE BAYTIL MAAYGA UGA TEGAY EE MIYAAD TUUDHAY MISE KABADHKAAD GELISAY"

If I try and dissect this sentence, you have Waryaa which is a masculin pronoun, addressing a female name. It wouldn't happen, next time try a gender neutral term like "Walaal", or even "Nayaa". You can use the latter at your discretion. From there, you have a term that is new to me "Sungalaydh", and I think in the most part my Somali is profecient. Nevertheless, you have gone to some extremes because that is not every day language. Anyhow, the rest of the sentence you have mutalated the Somali. It should have been, Sangalaydhkii aan gashanayey ee aan kaga tagay baytilmayga miyaad tuurtay mise kabadhkaad gelisay. Now, here where u have TUUDHAY, I have tuurtay, for the simple fact that the letter R is found in Northern Dialect. lol Here Tuudhay becomes another word, namely TUDHAY.

Anyhow, Jabarti, you tried to distinguish dialects from one another and you have used slang terms as your basis of analysis. If you really would like to know, which dialect is the closest, you have to do a scientific research, which looks at each word that is spoken, and to see if there is any other words for it. For example, if you want to look at the word ball. In the north it is called "Kubad", in the south it is called "Banooni". Here you can see a clear distinction, of the differences, in that there are only two words to compare. However, if there are words that are interchangable, like "Musqul, Baad, Xamaam,Suuli,BaytilMay" and they are used as frequently then it is harder to compare anything. For intance, there are different slangs here in Canada than in the U.S. but we can't use the slang to differenciate their differences. However we can look at how the words are spelled, and compare the difference. In anything, you have to do a controlled experiment to get the proper results, otherwise you'll include exteremes, and outliers that will nullify your results.

Paragon   

When the research was completed, they figured since even reer Nuugaal have borrowed Arabic, italian words, it is Somali Galbeed who speak pure Somali independent from Borrowed words. Firstly I was quick to disagree, but, after sitting in Somali restaurants to investigate, I found out that the fellas who did the research were right.

Honesita   

Some of us need somali map 101 ova here...!!! One thing i gained from this topic: i realized i understand reer ruqooyi accent more any other somali... smile.gif ...!!!

What cities or towns r in somali Galbeed....!!!

Salaamz

Bachelor   

Honesita!

AGA! you dont know where is somali galbeed AKA Ogaden. There are few cities and town such as dhagx bur, qalafo, Gode, qabri dharah, warder and jigjiga so on. I hope that will help.

Salaamz,

who cares where standard somali language is from? and how do you define standard? :rolleyes: Bottom line is we speak it and that is it. Orators of somali have to be the poets since they mastered the language so wherever has most famous and eligible poets should be the area where standard somali is spoken. The question then now becomes which geographical area is this? For sure I do not know and like Honesita would require a large map, magnifier and a dozen of reer baadiye with a good herd of camels ;) If you asked me where Arabic or English is from? I can easily tell ya :D

shyhem   

Surely this is a race of my clan is better than u'r clan thread ,only that this time around the clans name is not mentioned but the region that the clan hails from is.

AAAR YAADHA HEEN MAANTANA BUJU BAJAA BAAD KEENTEEN HAHAHAHAHAH

YO ALLOW THIS SOMALI BULLSHIT MAN,,,,SO SYHYEM GIRL U SAID IT LIKE I WAS I WAS GONNA SAY IT,

THIS THREAD IZ JUZ LEADING UP 2 THAT TRIBE TING

Loyan   

Shyhem/baller... Where is your proof? You should be contributing a subject when you know a thing or two about it before labeling us clanists. There is nothing wrong talking about dialects when discussing language. If I am well versed in a dialect, that doesn't neccesarily mean I am from specific people or region that speak the dialect. Your statements are prejudiced which puts YOU in the same category with clanists and KKK. Talk about double jeopard :D

Eid Mubarak

Originally posted by Shyhem:

Surely this is a race of my clan is better than u'r clan thread ,only that this time around the clans name is not mentioned but the region that the clan hails from is.

lol   

As far as my opinion is concern... abaa kuligeen waa maqanahay. Qofkastana qumanahiisa aa surka u suran.. ee eebow hadaad i fahantid abaa shukra laah dheh! I understand all Somali dialects and accents so me is original...!! Clear Enough????? icon_razz.gif