Sign in to follow this  
Observer

Standard somali?

Observer   

Hello nomads!

Which part of somalia (including Ogaden,NFD and Djebouti) speaks the standard soamli language? Your honest and fair judgment is required here.

jabarti   

Asalamu Aleikum,

We all speak pure and Original Somali, but we have different dialect as every other language do.

Viva la Somalia.

Jabarti.

yo, guyz wat zup?

i tel u how my parents like? well my mummy and daddy favourite child is me ;) and my little sista. i thank god everyday, because it gave u a good parent. eventhough i told mum and dad to buy anything, i mean anything :D . guess wat says 'ok'

so wat i say ' thank god by giving me a such fantastic parents'

peace yo, im out

Haashim   

Each part of somalia has a dialetic, what jabarti said is not true, we all don't speak origin somali.

XAA KU WATAY is not standard somali, INA MADHI or INA MARI also is not standard somali, MUXUU SHEEGAHAYAA UU also is not standard somali, ARI BOOWE BARI LAGA REYSAY also is dialetic, AF WAA KANAA MAY LAKI AAMEE also is regional dialetic but there is a one region which has no dialetic, in other words speak standard, classic somali.

the people of this region speak the official somali newspapers, radios and books language in addition all famous poets came from this region and it's surroundings, the king of somali poet and literature, SAYID MAXAMED CABDULLE XASAN's base was this region.

it's NUGAAL region, anyone thinks different can come forward with his/her proofs.

RAMADAAN KARIIM

Salaan...

it's NUGAAL region, anyone thinks different can come forward with his/her proofs

Muraad, LoooooL. Kaaba waa is caariftee. You could easily have said I am a Reer Nugaal. :D No need to say far.

I do not agree with you with this, brother. Why? See, as you said, that there is no original Soomaali, so there is also, using your logic, no 'standard' Soomaali. If there is an original one, then there must also be a standard. Simple.

That supposedly 'standard' Soomaali you see used basicly in, mostly, by newspapers, radios, and other medium communications is that because of Maxamed Siyaad Barre. Supposedly, Nugaal or its vicity as a region was where he was from. And as he was in power when Soomaali writing was introduced, he with his power said so that is the way the 'standard' Soomaali should be. Or else!!! So, it is not about that region produced Sayid Max'ed C/lle Xasan or any poets, or any other viable reason. Simply it was Siyaad Barre's unmatched influence, and that's the way it became.

I can also say this is the STANDARD Soomaali, "Doogaan hooba kasaasa....dheegtey ma'ahaa??" :D :cool: Ninba afkiis aala quman dheh. Mise 'standard' la eh. smile.gif

Soon Wanaagsan!!

Gediid   

Met me just say this

Reer Nugaal did not write Somali and the Sayid was among ONE of the best Somali poets.

Thank you.

nuune   

I think some of you are talking about that this region speaks standard somali while the other region doesn't.

is that the case we are talking about?

those are not dielects as far as i know

af galti

af waamo

af suju

and others but can't rmember them!

Thunder   

Originally posted by muraad:

it's
NUGAAL region, anyone thinks different can come forward with his/her proofs.

RAMADAAN KARIIM

:D Waan abtirsaday ma is tiri?

"Amaa sida faras gaduudan iyo....Garoow iyo Nugaal baan gayahooda joogaa"

Haashim   

I am very sorry, that some people think otherwise than i meant, i was talking about an area where it's people have no own dialect but stardand somali, and by the way when i'm saying nugaal i didn't mean geographically, but it could be surrounding area, no specific area but it's the center. so many other regions could share this such as part of mudug part of where is now known as Sool, and Sanaag and even Bari and Woqooyi, but without TACASUB or regionism could u identify any dialects in this area.

if u can identify please tell us and also tell us an area or region where u think that there are no dialects.

And again and again please don't look always the bad side on this issue, this is my point of view, it could be wrong so if u have a proof come forward with ur proof without accusing baseless accusations.

I used many somali dialects in this web, the last one i used was XAA KU WATAY refering a woman who accused ISLAM backwardness and now hiding somwhere, and i used many others before because i don't have any problem to use these dialects, all are somali dialects and no matter if someone labels me that i come from this region or that region as some did in this thread.

Anyhow, no one of u say i think this region or this part of somalia is where people speak standard somali as the topic starter (observer) was expecting, and when i gave my idea most of u say waa abtirsaday, or siyaad barre come from nugaal, waa is cariftee iwm.

Brothers and sisters nationalism and tribalism lead us where we're now and when i was posting this article i thought i'm talking to the intelligent ppl who aren't like most somalis.

I was expecting someone who will identify dialects from that area or saying what about area fulaan, or region fulaan, and giving some evidence without discrimination.

Finally, i think it's ignorance if one denies different somali dialects, but the biggest ignorance is denying standard somali language, which every country or nation is proud to have standard language.

far example ARABIC language; each country has it's dialect but all of them agree that the media language is standard arabic, u cann't see arbic newspaper which written in lebnanese dialect for example, even if this newspaper published in lebanon like AL-NAHAAR NEWSPAPER, So why we're denying that we have standard somali, just give your opinion which one is and where it most spoken without accusing others who gave their views.

RAMADAAN KARIIM

Dhimbil   

muraad

i think you're right, your theory makes sense sxb, also i think the nomads were just sarcastic about nugaal nothing serious.

MMA

your barre phobia is on full effect.. ;) sxb somali news papers use standard somali today because of its originality and common understanding of their audience, meaning all somalis no matter what region they from understand it and can easily read. If it werent original our pple could have easily returned to what ever dialect they had before barre, but they hvn't...why?

jaaluut   

MMA , siyad barre was NOT from nugaal period.

in the usa, the midwestern dialect is the official dialect used by newspapers, tv and so forth. in somalia, mudug onward to nugaal to waqooyi galbeed to somaligalbeed have the weighted somali languege, because literature and rich oral traditions stem from these regions.

I have always heard that Nugaal is where they speak the "Standard Somali" or atleast close to the "media" Somali. But, remember that the historic NUGAAL valley is way beyond the artificial Nugaal State setup by Siyaad Barre.

The majority of the famous peots were running around this area. I must say they were the ones who set the current standards.

MMA, Siyaad Barre was really born in Ogaden, Ethiopia. :D ... even though he claimed to be from Garbaharey, Gedo in the books.

Salaan...

Gediid:

No one said 'Reer Nugaal wrote af Soomaali.' See camaleeto waraa. :D I said Siyaad Barre introduced the writen Soomaali, and thus he was from Nugaal OR SOOMAALI GALBEED {same as they speak same dialect}. So he had a great influence.

Illmatic:

Kaaba, nah. Run lee sheegaayi. Yes, we might have agreed its 'familiarity' among Soomaalis to use that standard Soomaali. But, I never thought that 'stardard' Soomaali originated from Nugaal. I always believed it was Mudug, precisely Gaalkacyo area. And I am not from this region, so I am fair. I don't know why brother Muraad is a bit mad.

Muraad:

Raali iyo nuskiis hadii si kale u qaadatey. :cool: I thought you got my irrelevant 'joke.' Anyway, I just thought to disagree your way of saying Nugaal has the standard Soomaali. As I said, I always thought the standard Soomaali came from Gaalkacyo area, minus its heavily dialectical. Again, I don't know your defination of 'standard' that believing this region you mention has no 'dialect.' What is dialect? I thought it was some words spoken in some regions that couldn't be understood in another region that spoke same language. And, kamoon, tell me that part of the region has full words we who came from some other parts of the country couldn't grasp, let alone understand. So, isn't that a dialect? Or you are saying THEIR DIALECT is a 'pure' Soomaali??? :D I am just disagreeing you, ee si kale ha u qaadan saxiiboow.

Jaluut:

FYI, Maxamed Siyaad did not exactly come from Nugaal region. I know that. smile.gif What I said was 'its vicinity.' What I meant roughly was he spoke the dialect Reer Nugaal speak. We all know Siyaad was born and bred in Soomaali Galbeed.

Libaax, I know. :D Remember I said 'ITS VICINITY,' which I roughly meant that whole area. smile.gif

Soon Wanaagsan!!

Gabbal   

Peace to all y'all,but look.

There are three kinds of Somaali. Central, Coastel and Standard. The reer xamar speak central Somali. The Braawaani, Bajuun, and others speak coastel Somali. And the "tribe/clan" Somalis speak Standard. aight? Y'all don't believe me? You're on the net, do a bit of researching. Peace, Asalamu Calaykum, Ramadaan Wanaagsan.

Loyan   

Nice topic Observer!

Mataan ... poeple from Nugaal have their own dialect. It goes some what like this:

"Maxaad sheegaysaaNIIN" smile.gif

"HALAKani waa ReeeyDDiyow Nugaal" smile.gif

You had to see me pronounce ... lol

Pick another region that has no dialect ;)

The standard Somali belongs to the cosmopolitan cities such as Kismaayo and Muqdisho because their inhabitants are mainly from all over the country. For instance, other than the verb "said" in which reer-Kismayo say "dhahay" (ie Cabdi wuxuu dhahay/Caasha waxay dhahday)rather than "yiri/yidhi" the rest of standard Somali words in the news/papers are familair to me as I grew up there. Outskirt of the city, people spoke different dialects and accents as well as Baajuuni and Mushunguli which I believe are related to swahili language.

Maskiin ... Sxb, Siyaad Barre was never seen in a library, he never wrote a book, or made lecture on the subject. There are schollars who deserve the credit of the Somali script. People like the late Shire aw Jama, the Kenadiids, Galaal, and so on that we might not know since Barre took all their credits.

Nuune ... I like to see sample of those

Ramadaan Kariim