Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

What do you know about QAAD?

H.J   

Qaad...

We all know it.

It has now scientifically been proven that it's BAD for your body. But what's even more important...BAD for your social environment. This has been proven a long time ago, and esspecially after the Somali civil war, which spread somali refugees across the globe, Qaad has shown it's 'effects'. I have seen and experiencd the most hurrendous ordeals with families torn apart by this simple plain leaf called 'Qaad'.

Surely if Qaad didn't have such a strong influence on somali men everywhere, we would have settled half of our disputes a long time ago.

...And it is not only the social aspects of life, but what about the religious? We as a nation should be 100% Sunni Muslim, and yet we cannot give up a harmull tradition for our own Deen...

People what kind of faith is this??? Think of the afterlife and how Allah SWT is going to bless or punish you.

H.J

Gediid   

Late last year I attended a gathering of Somalis at George Washington University in DC and one of the guest speakers was Abdirahim Abbi farah, the former under Secretary general of the UN and what he said on Khat amazed me.He said in the fifties there were only 12 people who chewed khat in Hargeysa.Now 50 years later the problem has become an epidemic.North to South, East to West people are hooked to this.In the past it was a male habit,now women are chewing it though not on the same level of course but the weird thing is you don't hear a lot of voices being raised about this.

Financially its draining hard currency out of the nation.It costs around $50 mill a year to maintain this habit and you know where all this ends up in......Ethiopia or at least most of it.

For a nation as poor as we are, it sure is a lot of greenbacks going towards getting high.

NinBrown   

The above mentioned effects of qad are al true and correct, but there are several points to consider....

Research done in UK and published in well known scientific journals show that the psychological effects far outweight physiological effects of qad......

The large numbers of young Somali men a currently mentally ill and exist in mental illness institutions, the main thing they all have is the usage of qad and chronic unemployment.

salaams//

well, i must say.. Chaad thats what we'call it.. is Yuck!! But again alote of our somali man chew it like sleeping Cows chew Grass in their Sleep ... eweewewewewewewewe

it's so Revolting' i feel like Vomiting' it Gives man Red Boll Eyes'n a Green Teeth..... ewewe Unattractive u said it... where im from there ain't alote of Chaad chewers Alhamdulillah...

But still.... it's a Problem in our Community, this Brotha once said to my sister it helps him, study. can u Believe that???

:rolleyes: But, i haven't heared of any health issues, or anything, i think it has something to do with me not seeing many Chaad eater, thank God!

Ma'salamah

Ariadne   

Qaad well I know one thing for sure about it....it rhymes with Fud as in Elmer Fudd...I pictures them talking like this: aba did di aha ahaave you sa sa seen a wabbit around tese aweas...?...it also reminds me of cleatus the slack jawed yokel