Sign in to follow this  
NinBrown

The Somalia university/college student disease: A question?

NinBrown   

I have been in university for number of years and been to other universities, i dont know if anyone else has noticed but i have noticed people in university hang around in groups, and these groups tend to be made from ppl of their own race/cultural background except the somalis. The somalis have a problem, they dont go or hang around in groups. In the uni i attend there are the upper class poshes, the indians, the orientals and so on..., they hang around going lunch together, go cinema or where ever together, but not the somalis, they get lost among the groups and become an insignificant figure. So why is this, CAN SOME1 ANWSER ME PLEASE.

khadar01   

It's true lad that somalis in colleges or universities don't hang out,while other people hang out with their prespective groups.like the ethiopians in particular,i love them,i don't know if you notice,but when ethiopians recognize each other they don't shake hands or say hi, but they kiss on the cheeks to show affection to their fellow countrymates.i have seen this disunity between somalis for i'm student myself.it's getting beter though.one ignorant reason that i can think of is we still don't identify ourselves first and foremost as somalis,but unfortunately we identify our selves with "qabiil" so please smile.gif when you see a fellow somali,take a moment to say hi and hopefully this will change someday.

Lad- one contiplate reason i found is: lack of security. Regardless of being in university or college' it's true 'many of our nomad students tend to run the otha way, simply because he/she is scared of the critisium one may get; wheather it be judged on their language skills, clothing or simply gestures. And to be honest' i believe it's less of qabile discrimination but once again lack or security;critisum and level of comfort.

True love may stark more than once' so don't fall for the sake of falling-explore your options!

OG Moti   

London_lad

What you said is not totally true, it happens with most of third world countries to run from their own kind, which means they reject their skin and who they are, but about Somalian it is well known that Somalis stick together outside there own country but never inside for example;

I have been in few countries most Asian countries and I was not finding a way to reach to promised lands, lands of not opportunities but welfare like many do who went to those countries i have been, Syria I landed and there were somalians with me and the first question they asked was where can I find somalians, Jordan the same, Saudi Arabis the same, Kuwait the same, Thialnd the same, Vietnam the same, Philippines the same, Cambodia the same, so where ever they go they ask where can I find a somalis and then start what they use to call THE TRAIN in syria where somalis sit along the road in groups, even different groups sit in the same cafe or street..

So dear somalis are the most attached to groups of their own kind. So maybe things are different where u at, but that is the way I saw them in many places...

First of all salam aleikum saxib, this is the first topic i have seen from u so wlcm.

I am afraid i would have to disagree with u OG mOTI and agree whole heartdly with LL.

Unfortunaetly this is very true, i mean speaking from my personal experience thats wot i have see and heard about throught my education.

Allahamdulilah my situation where i am studying is made much better by the fact that i have my somali brothers to fall back on when times get hard, and or just when i want to kick back and relax after studying.

But general speaking it seems that we go to almost any extent to avoid each other, :rolleyes: 'Somalis even run away from their own shadow just imagine atrue human being who can talk back ' this is not to far from the truth.

U see girls hanging around with other ppl, especially guys that are Jamican or their likes coz they think that they are better, and u see guys doing the same thing.

its a shame, i think it would make life @ university thta much more pleasurable to have a group of peeps u can hang around with and share ur time with but that just isnt the case with most of us.

Blessed   

I didn't hang with Somalis at my uni. because there was not a single Somali person in my department 4 the entire duration of my course.

It is only natural to befriend people you have a lot in common with or you see on a daily basis.

So, I hung out with Pakistanis and Arabs cos they were the only people I could relate to. Somalis from other subject areas were in at different times or based different campuses. As much as love my people, I simply didn't have the time, energy or the need to seek out Somalis, my Pakis were more then sufficient.

NAA U KNOW WHA I THINK ITZ 2 DO WITH SOME FEMALEZ AN SOME NIGGAZ THAT THINK THEY 2 GOOD 4 THEY OWN PEOPLE..

IN MY COLLEGE THEREZ NUFF SOMALI NIGGAZ, IN THE BREAK TIME WE ALL COME OUT LIKE 19/20 OF US ALL ON THE HALLWAY NEAR THE CANTEEEN ,, WALAAHI NO 1 CAN SAY SHIT 2 US,, THEY CALL US THE MAALIZ, IF 1 GETZ INTO ROUBLE THEN THE PERSONWHO FIGHTED WITH THAT PERSON HAS 20 NIGGAZ 2 DEAL WITH. AND ANY SOMALI GIRL THAT WE SEE HANGIN ROUND WITH WHITE/ BLACK/ INDIAN , MAN , WALAAHI THAT GIRL WILL GET DISSED TILL SHE LEAVES COLLEG, WE EVEN LET SOME OF OUR TOUGH GIRLS DEAL WITH HER, END OF THE DAY NO 1 IN THE COLLEGE SAYZ ANYTING 2 US,AND I THINK ITZ WHERE U ARE LOCATED AN HOW BIG THE COMMUNITY IS IN THAT AREA, LOL,, AND I CAN TRUTHFULLY SAY WALAAHI WE DO RUN THIS COLLEGE. SO U KNOW ALL THEM FAKE SOMALIZ, GOTTA RECONIZE, MALIZ4LIFE

Paragon   

I don't think there is a reason why we should ask someone to hang with somalis if he/she is running away from the Somaliness. I have seen few Somalis who think they are better off with non-Somalis, but then hey! thats their choice. I have a choice and i made my decission only to meet up with my Somali brothers/sisters. Most of those who think it is an improvement to be with non-Somalis are predominantly girls and they are simply weak. I don't think we should bother them to join us. Who needs them anyway? Coz we have very highly respectable sisters on our side and we can affort those who opt to run away from us, we have girls who know what Somaliness is. And those are the ones we must be proud of. Just a thought

raula   

its misleading to make a big generalization bout somali students..however, I can agree w/ya to some extent..somehow, I think some of us think that we r too good to hang out w/fellow somalis, reason being the perception of us being ignorant(not civilized/westernized in a way) and coming from a third world( I think some pps mentioned this already), rather not too-firfircowni(social)like our counterparts. In addition, I also think that many of us want to be labelled as "the one"(who is social, or made some kinda major contribution to something, or basically started something out of the norm of the somali culture)-basically gain a name for oneself rather than a group...(which seems to prevail back in our county)....we r too worried bout how others perceive us and conserving our image, than even "glancing" towards our bros and sis.

raula

Baashi   

Well, They do hang out 2gether! Depends what school u r @. It is very very very difficult to be with ur own kind if they r not in the same dept(e.g Engineering vs. Business Management)..and campus is very big.

So may be u r in different situation but from what I know they stick 2gether.

Also if u getting behind on ur classes u don't wanna seen let alone been with..u wanna aced on that class.

Mpls is a good example: Go Wilson library!!!!!!

They even have associations. They love each other.

I don't know about London though u may be right.

NAA U KNOW WHA I THINK ITZ 2 DO WITH SOME FEMALEZ AN SOME NIGGAZ THAT THINK THEY 2 GOOD 4 THEY OWN PEOPLE..

IN MY COLLEGE THEREZ NUFF SOMALI NIGGAZ, IN THE BREAK TIME WE ALL COME OUT LIKE 19/20 OF US ALL ON THE HALLWAY NEAR THE CANTEEEN ,, WALAAHI NO 1 CAN SAY SHIT 2 US,, THEY CALL US THE MAALIZ, IF 1 GETZ INTO ROUBLE THEN THE PERSONWHO FIGHTED WITH THAT PERSON HAS 20 NIGGAZ 2 DEAL WITH. AND ANY SOMALI GIRL THAT WE SEE HANGIN ROUND WITH WHITE/ BLACK/ INDIAN , MAN , WALAAHI THAT GIRL WILL GET DISSED TILL SHE LEAVES COLLEG, WE EVEN LET SOME OF OUR TOUGH GIRLS DEAL WITH HER, END OF THE DAY NO 1 IN THE COLLEGE SAYZ ANYTING 2 US,AND I THINK ITZ WHERE U ARE LOCATED AN HOW BIG THE COMMUNITY IS IN THAT AREA, LOL,, AND I CAN TRUTHFULLY SAY WALAAHI WE DO RUN THIS COLLEGE. SO U KNOW ALL THEM FAKE SOMALIZ, GOTTA RECONIZE, MALIZ4LIFE

Policing the whole campus huh. Thats really funny. You remind me of the Sopranos, where they keep every1 in line, and who ever gets out of line get whacked.

Hibaad   

Well the uni i go to there are alot of somalis and to my knowledge most of them don't runaway from eachother, there are the few that act like they aren't somalis but i say leave them to it.

Thunder   

Is it me or universities/collges were designed for education not "hanging out"?

I think most Somalis are too cool to hang around with other Somalis. You wouldn't want any Somali to find out that you were throwing up at last Saturday night's party, or that you spent a whole afternoon at the Science meuseam.

All jokes aside most of the Somalis that O had the pleasure of going to school with had bussy schedule/lives and couldn't hang out with me during my lunch or any other time. Communication among us will clear out any misconceptions that we have of each other. Remember that most Somalis are shy including myself.

i agree with some posters who said that somali people tend to judge people when they first meet based on thier qabiil. it's really sad after all we've been through some of us are still too blind to see the light. in my school most of my freinds are of those i knew back in high school and even in middle school so of course we hang out in groups and enjoy each others company for a breif amount of time before 3 hours of boring lectures about Moby Dick and stuff begans. but i have to admit, there are some fellow somali students that i see during my lunch break or something and honestly i try to say hi and be supportive. but it's getting better, more and more somalis' are going to schools across the country witch is the most important thing and eventually we'll come together as one.

bye guys.