Sign in to follow this  
Diaspora_Dude

WHY DO MOST SOMALIS DO NOT LIKE EDUCATION?

To be honest I have been researching this topic for years and I have being studying the behaveriol process of our people for couple years now and I have concluded that most somalis (Teanagers, and Other Adults)to say do not like to go higher education. For the fact that it's a hereditory process that is to say we are following our forefathers traditional roles that used to be sitting under-trees playing cards, or standing besides cafe's debating about tribal issues(that's very discusting) and politics that we do they don't have any control of what so ever.

Bachelor   

Hello Boy Today you are on fire ;) Good topics tho. and wlc to this enthusiast and wonderful nomads. :D

Indeed a good percentage of nomads seems to relegate the value of Education for many reason. As far as i know the first and foremost motive is that many if not all Somali who reside in the west supports some kind of his/her family back home. That elicits Education to be "put on hold" for a moment. The second reason is most of our previous generation lacks an appropriate Education so they bear ZERO influence on their Kids. Last but not list the nomad "reer gura" behavior play a major role by itself even her in the west. I guess that will summed it up

Originally posted by Bachelor:

[QBThe second reason is most of our previous generation lacks an appropriate Education so they bear ZERO influence on their Kids [/QB]

I disagree with that, If you look at it carefully, the percentage of people who have good education is higher with the ones whose families lack education.

I think that the reason (based on my observations) is education is an investment and time consuminng and for some reason we somalis like to start our achievements on top of the pyramide, instead of starting at the bottom and working our way up.

Let's face it, can a building with out foundation stand still?......Of course not, it would cramble the first sign of trouble.

It all comes down to what one wants out of life. One must make sacrifices to get the reward, but one must not expect to get the reward for just being there.

One must say good bye for now...........lol

DeepMac   

New-comer, posting my second topic of the day!

i believe if parents take there son/doughter's to vist somalia, and see the stutation for them self, they will start at thinking of aducation and start building for there future. You can see the results for your self, just think of me, i used play around going clubing etc, then my parent took me to somalia it made focus about my future, know iam in my second year in university, keeping tings real.

last comment... take ur child to somalia, then they will think, trust me...

bye da way spread da luv and rate me, aight.

DeepMac!!! You have learned a lesson!!

"you are never too old of your parents" even though you are married and have a children of your own.

DeepMac, the matter is not taking people back to Somalia and see what is up there, but the fact is that more and more parents are not encouraging their children to seek higher level of education and I have seen dozens of my friend when they graduated from H.S. go straight to the work force and never look back. Therefore, I suspected that their parents didn't care whether they go to school. However, if we shed a light to the situation and we speak about the issue I think it will raise millions of eyesbrows and that way we can accomplish things more accurately and sufficiently.

Ps. DeepMac Keep your head up and never imitate some loosers.

The first step is harder than the subsequent steps.
smile.gif

Peace

Love

&

Harmony

Salam aleikum

I dont think its the case that most somali's dont like eduction saxib. However ur right in sayng that all to often somali ppl especially boy's drop out of school before there even finsihed school.

I think u have to look back towards the background and unnfortunately in most cases that i knew off ppl dropin out, dossin around etc etc, its becauz they have had a mess up bringing with a lot of other problems as well on the side.

However there are a few just like in any society who just seem to lazy and uninterested in studying

:eek: Pretty' good sense of a topic you brought there ' but anywho rolling along . I agree with you all to extend' but the reality of it all is ignorance. You can't blame our parents for lacking off interests in our education, it's something that was brought down to them from their parents and so on and so forth. Perhaps, another form of looking at is to distinguish the characteristic each one holds. I believe many of us by-pass the knowledge out parents carry and many ways judge them; because of the language difficulties. Perhaps it’s us; who need to express what we love to accomplish and letting them contribute to our school life as well as personal. And by “US” opening up to them, by speaking what we strive for; they’ll get a little more in depth to who we really are. In conclusion’ start opening up to your momz and popz ‘ and maybe’ just maybe you’ll find what you hope to find.

- Brown-Sugah sayin soo long…..’ohh yeah ‘welcome a sistah to the nomadic community won’t cha , being her first post and all lo...lol take care’

I think it is more or less with the culture in which one grows. Not all somalis hate education but sadly the majority don't explore their intellectual side.

Kowthar   

ASALAAMU CALAYKUM

Hey all iam a new comer.....

I beleive deep down in my heart somali people are smart and intelligent .They have always been so in to war and hate to ever figure they have alot of potential to achieve anything posssible.

Lets pray the new generation will be different...

Somalis not liking educations might be and ignolble episode from our countries past but today

we can only look in to the future to change this theories we seem to have of our people.....

May allah help us all...

it deponds which way you look when comes to human since we all human nature and plus not all human run one finger(same stage)beside somalis for us there is people with higher education, some on the way and some hardly spell their names but that's not the issue it's what environment you live in or standing at the time..that's my thery!

hi nomads

well, it seems everyone did put some nice inputs on this topic and i dont mind adding mine

i agree with you all, there are many reasons why our pple are not fond of persuing their education. it does not mean that we are not smart, but i think it has something to do with the foundation we were brought back at home. remember most of the schools there were never taught in english. most of them were arabic, italian and somali

so, many pple find it difficult to keep up with the system in the western countries and maybe they thought that they are old to go back and start from the begining and i dont blame them coz they might have other priorities. i beleive that children who were born here might have different approach and opportunities

i know we dont gain knowledge only in english language, but you will agree with me that its the dominant one. we are also not the only ones who is faced by this issue, there are other immigrants too (asian,indian,spanish,,etc)

but remember, it does not mean that u cant be successfull without education. there are many pple out there with millions of dollers and they are not educated, so dont be discouraged about life without education

good luck

Hibo   

dear prettyboy ,

I disagree with u on this . :confused: coz i don't think that the parents r the problem here because all parents luv 2 see there kids better than them . there r alot of kids who hate the education & have no intention to proceed or ask 4 more after finishing H.S (if they finish)