Sign in to follow this  
Hibo

Questions? Africans or Arabs

African   

^^^^ Thnx 4 bringing this thread 2 the top 4 I have learnt a lot & I want 2 thank all the contributors from Somalistar 4 posting the topic to Jamaal-11 v Baashe discussion & 2 the rest of u.

I think I'll camp out in this forum from now as I see catfights & high level testosterones demonstrated in other forums.

As to the question, I agree with those of you that said that Somalis are descendants of ancient & contemporary civilizations. Therefore not all Somalis have the same ancestry. Somali tribes descended from different civilization. So we cannot all link back to one father. Except ultimately back to Adem (AS).

I also heard that the Hutus or Tutsi (one of them, can't remember which one) from Rwanda are originally Somalis. Can someone shed light 2 this????

Muhammad   

very interesting debate. too bad I came late, some of you might have given a similar answer to what I'm going to say, so I opologise.

Are we Somalis: Africans or Arabs?

First before ask this question you should ask:

what does it mean to Somali?

what does it mean to be African?

what does it mean to be Arab?

we know that not all Somalis share the same anscester. so this question can not possibly have one answer, i.e. African or Arab.

you can't deny the fact that some Somalis are desendents of Africans, Arabs, Persians, and even Indians.

another question is Are you who your father was or who your mother was, or the color you have?

There are some whose their mother was an African but their father was not, who have a dark skin, are they Arab or African?. There are others who have a black father, who married the daughter of a Arab man, and they have a light skin, are they Arab or African?

If you also say that we are from Africa because our country is in Africa. Do you know that the word Africa(n) comes from Ifriqos bin Qais bin Saifi, one of the Kings of Yemen.

now if we agree to this, then the answer to your question can be: one Somali can be African, Another can be Arab, and Another Somali can be Neither. Now everyone can choose who he is. If someone claims to be Arab, why should you care? but if he tells you that you are Arab and you believe otherwise, then you can argue with him and prove your case, that you are not Arab. You don't need to prove that he is not Arab.

what is important is that We have a great culture, history, and due to our location in the world (center of the world) we have very rich and diverse culture and ancestors.

Humans evolved in our area of the world, this also means that when people began to spread around, many of them passed through East Africa, for example the Berbers of North Africa is said to have came from Somalia, the Tuaregs of Mali also came from africa, And Many others.

What is important is that we are all the children of Adam and we can all agree on that. At least I hope so, there are some who claim to be from monkeys, I hope their aren't any Somalis who believe we are the children of a Daaxuur.

Paragon   

Originally by African: I also heard that the Hutus or Tutsi (one of them, can't remember which one) from Rwanda are originally Somalis. Can someone shed light 2 this????

African, it is true that Tutsis of Rwanda and Burundi do have a Somali semblance. And amongst the Tutsi's there is said to be claimants who insist to be true descendants of Somalis. However, this claim could be a misleading one for it is not possible to easily establish which cushitic group Tutsi do rightfully belong to. If one carefully observes a Tutsi featured individual, it becomes clear that the Tutsis also resemble Ethiopians, Eritreans and Sudanese. But then, as usual with Somalis, we have a thoery that seems to support the notion of counting the Tutsi's ours.

Somalis will tell you of how and when tutsis were seperated from other Somalis of Somalia. The story claims that the name Tutsi derived its meaning from the Somali word Dutsi or Dudsi as in Heblaayo amba Hebel wuu Duday meaning so and so ran away from a place due to a certain problem. The claim is that the Tutsi were "Sahan Soldiers of Axmad Gurey sent to capture more land during his reign and expansion to lands such as Abbysinia, but as a result of defeat, those Sahan Soldiers were cut off from the rest of the troops by the enemy forces. Thus making the soldiers un-able to return to their mother country. It is said that Axmad Gurey's frequently mentioned Ciidamadii DUTSI -ga iiga maqnaa.

RaMpAgE   

If you also say that we are from Africa because our country is in Africa. Do you know that the word Africa(n) comes from Ifriqos bin Qais bin Saifi, one of the Kings of Yemen.

Actucally the word africa, is thought too have came from a Roman General who his last name was Afrikanus, well thats what i heard.

Changed   

salama

The last time i checked the Map Somalia was located in east of africa aka the horn of africa :D . geography that answers ur question .. so we somalis are africans

and we somalis are Hamitic ethnic group also known as Cushites :D

jamal interesting hypothesis :confused:

Muhammad   

Originally posted by RaMpAgE:

quote:If you also say that we are from Africa because our country is in Africa. Do you know that the word Africa(n) comes from Ifriqos bin Qais bin Saifi, one of the Kings of Yemen.

Actucally the word africa, is thought too have came from a Roman General who his last name was Afrikanus, well thats what i heard.
I have heard some say "Africa is believed to have originated from either the Latin word aprica ("Sunny") or greek aphrike ("without cold") and originally applied to North Africa.

The claim that Africa was named after the Roman General Scipio Africanus has been proven to be not acurate for many reasons, mainly that this word has been used long before him. It is said that his name actually means, Scipio of Africa.

The Arabs have used this name, Ifriqiya long before the Roman Empire. "The famous Muslim historian Ibn Khaldun says that the name Ifriqiya was given after Ifriqos, and to Al-Bakri, the boundries of Ifriqiya were Barga on the East and Tangier on the West, which means that in addition to the Africa proper of the Romans, it included Tripolitania, Numidia and Mauritania."

I have also heard that it origins from the Egyptian Word "Afru-ika" or 'Motherland."

Allahu-'Aclam

Modesty   

I keep hearing "we", I am SOmali, but we shouldn't speak for all of us. I beleive that you can be the race you perfer to be. :D Seriously, I consider myself African, and by subclan is Somali, and so on.

Secondly, who brought this topic up?!? Arabs and Somalis? We have nothing in common with those people! :rolleyes:

I thought i might add my own opinion

i didnt have the patience to go through all 100+ opinions,so if anything is repeated

my apologies.

Ok the question of whether somalis are africans and arabs is to me quite illogical

the fact of the matter is in a similar way to the ethiopians somaalis "created" a genetic link to arabs to give them a link to Islam and also as a protection from Slavery

i mean seriously what kind of arab would enslave a fellow arab

now these theories werent made up by me but were researched by some guy whose name escapes me

now think of this if we were descended from Arabs why is our language not closer to the arabic language

anyone who knows the amaharic language would be stunned at the similarites between it and arabic

just listen to the way they count

i would say that if anyone was descended from arabs in east africa it would be them

i should also note that the Ethiopians also have

"created" a link to the religion of christianity

by suggesting that they are the descendents of

Prophet Suleiman and the Queen Of sheba as written in their texts (The Bible)

now i should also state that Somalis are Black

but NOT what would be classified as Negros

i have an old copy of the classification of races in the world and people of Somalia and Ethiopia were placed under the Erythoritic (wrong spelling) race Under the group of caucasions which is pretty weird but i guess this is all based on the sharper features people of somalia, ethiopia,eriteria,etc etc have

but i guess what im trying to say would probably be easier to understand if i said that Italians are White but not Nordic

they have a more olive complexion darker hair, eyes etc. but dont look like the taller fairer peoples of Scandanavia

this is all a historical accident

Gabbal   

Meridian your point is understood sis, but I think you overlooked a couple of details.

First today's Habesha's are the descendents of the now extinct black semites known as Sabeans. That is why Amharic, Tigrinya, and other languages are classed semitic. The Sabeans, being black semites, were much different then Arabs in terms of physical features, language (Geez) and etc. Ethiopian semitic languages, although having the same grammitical structures of the Semitic chain, sound (phyrange?) and are pronounced alot like the languages of the khoisan people of South Africa.

Second our (Somali's) Arabianess is not one of evolution, but one of inter-marriage. Meaning our language doesn't have to be semitic for us to have Arab blood. Personally I believe Somali is a semitic language and am waiting for linguists to place it as such, but we share the same pronunciation and phyrange (sp?) with our Arab part-forefathers and their brethern the Hebrew language.

RaMpAgE   

Horn....sxb....first of all somali language is an cushitic language and is far from any semetic langauge. The reason why he have so many arabic words in our lanauge is because of the islamic influence our original somali language has been diluted and will never be ever spoken again,It would have been nice too have it written.

secondly , the large porportion of somali population do not have arab blood, even tho theirs are some who do.

By saying we are arab, simple means we are a nation of confused half breed garacs., and i think we better than that. redface.gif

sMiLeY   

The Europeans distinguished ancient Egyptions from Africans cuz they didn't want to admit that africans who they used as slave were capable of such civilization (Egyption civilization). I'll agree that nubians, somalis and ancient egyptions look different than the other africans but in my opinion it's because evolutions and only those who looked like that survived in such areas. Or maybe it's because of our interactionn with others. In conclusion Somalis are black who look lil different from west africans smile.gif .

sMiLeY   

The Europeans distinguished ancient Egyptions from Africans cuz they didn't want to admit that africans who they used as slave were capable of such civilization (Egyption civilization). I'll agree that nubians, somalis and ancient egyptions look different than the other africans but in my opinion it's because evolutions and only those who looked like that survived in such areas. Or maybe it's because of our interactionn with others. In conclusion Somalis are black who look lil different from west africans smile.gif .

Secondly, who brought this topic up?!? Arabs and Somalis? We have nothing in common with those people!

i have got no time to read all post and replies in this topic, but the littlei read give me an idea about somalis,we somli are so much connected to arabis in two ways:

1-religone

2-originality,

so many historian believe that somalis are originaly from arab or at least half arab,what i mean by half arab is that somali come into being as a result of inetmarriage between africans and arabs.

but this idea has it's shorts not least that somalis are from diffrent ancestors, some of them india others from iran , and some from acient phoaras.but what about this name: binti ? this is acient name of somalia,acient chines,indians and egyptian called our country binti.

but one thing worth remembering is,we can only be proud of our past and our originality when develope,modernise our society,otherwise what is importance of being acient.guys wake up and pull up ur socks .and lets jointly work towards common goal.

thanx