Sign in to follow this  
Hibo

Questions? Africans or Arabs

Hibo   

Hey ya'll

i don't think that we, somalians are arabs or "blacks". blacks are people who were slaves and grow up in the US and consider themselves african americans. we are AFRICANS and nothing else. I hate it when i see some somalians thinking they're arabs or BLACK. be proud of being african

Ariadne   

Dear sweetgirl

First off welcome aboard to somaliaonline and now moving on to the part I scratch your eyes out. Where do you think the descendants of slaves came from their great great great grandparents just magically appeared in the United States? they are african too (although their africanism is through ancestary all the while living elsewhere for 400 yrs) and we already established the fact that we are african ourselves so does that not make us black or are we orange?

Yes we should be proud to be african but with africanism we should also embrace our blackness. Do we really want to teach our children self hate? I can't see myself saying

"Oh honey your not black your just very darkskinned and knappy haired, but that dosn't make you black even though you are a second generation african and you are seen as black even though you don't want to be seen as black by the world. You are yellow or some other awful color let say purple perhaps. Yes sweetie insist to the world you are african and purple not black."

I don't know about you but that sounds ridiculous to me, but if we don't stop this self hatred now that might be what we will be saying to our children.

Remember when in denial if you say something enough times you start to beleive its true.

A7LA-SHU   

cushtic cutie dymm u funny.. yeah girl i'm orange lol.. nah i'm black and proud of it..

but for reals thou us somalis have big time problem yo.. in a way we like shii we don't wanna be them arabs okay sure, and when it comes to being black we like oh no we not black..

so my q to them who don't know what they are what are u???

oo, brothers and sisters it is un imaginable that

some of us still thinks we are better than blacks

and not as good as whites (SHAME FULL)

WHY CAN,T WE ACCEPT THE REALITY THAT WE ARE BLACK

AND WE WILL BE BLACKS FOR EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :rolleyes:

quolaya   

To brother Jamal-11

your findings are incorrect due to the fact that the archeologist you are refering to is probably white-European- that do not credit African-BLACK- civilizations for building the Pyramids. When you read such finding please try to understand where that point of view is coming from. As to the question if we're Arabs or Africans? Why do we have to categorize ourselves. Just remember that before Arabs, Whites or whatever ethnic group came to Africa, we were a foraging, pastoralist society that moved with our herds. If you ask me, we need Somali anthropologists and archeologists to find that out.

Gabbal   

What is up with all these uptight people?

We got a sister here who wouldn't accept our possible (to appease some of y'all) Arab origins.

We got a brother here who wouldn't accept the facts, because its not written by a Somali anthropologist (if there is such a person).

I don't hate Africans. I'm geographically African, aight. I don't hate Arabs. I'm culturally Arab.

Accept the facts.

I have found something interesting. I'm starting to believe that the Somali people are not even one ethnic group. I think we're different peoples from different origins that just speak the same language and centuries of intermarriages come to look like each other. I was reading about a tribe called Jeberti in Eritrea, and I saw in their website that the Darood Ismaciil Jeberti, the Jabarti of Eritrea, the Mimi Yemenite Jeberti, and other Jeberti tribes in north Africa, are the decendent of Ismaciil Jeberti, an Arab patriarch. This is kind of interesting, because it might shed some light on some origins. :confused:

You want to see the info, go to this website put somali in the search place, click it again and you will see.

http://www.jeberti.com/

JAMAAL_11 my brother i see you've done some home works u r on the right track bro keep it up.

well guys jamaal_11 is 100% right you can agree or disagree with him but the fact remains he's right. when the queen of ancient egyptian i regret to say that i forgot her name visited the area known as PUNTLAND wich raughly means something like DHULKII UDGOONAA she had no translater no army only ships full of gold coins and food even historians go as far as saying there's still some words found in somali wich are used by our ancestors forexample BARSHIN wich means pillow and we are famous for especially in the BADIYAHA even our ancestors used to call it the same and it had a same meaning as it has today

so i agree we have nothing to do with bantus/negro or arabs but so did the PHAROAHS and so did CLEOPATRA whom the west like to imagine as a white lady. she was NUBIAN QUEEN nothing to do with anything white/black nor arab and when i say black i mean the real blacks. legend has it she even visited SOMALIA and had a crush on one lucky nomad but i'm not sure if he's the one said to have somali features.

P.S if you didn't know that the ancient egyptian graves had one somali in them you can go and read all about it at www.nationalgeographichannel.com there you gonna see plenty of very intresting details about somalia and many many more countries

so i'm sorry to disappoint those fellas who said we are black, i agree some of us got dark skin but we somalis when we say black we all know what we mean right?so we are not niggers period and i really really find it insulting when i see somali brothers calling each other such a name.

by the way nice topic but i didn't like when you said THE ARABS CALL US CABIID and you still call him a friend?no matter how strong he was you should atleast let him know that you didn't like to be called slave coz that's exactly what CABIID means my brother and no somali male or female has ever been a SLAVE even in one minute. be proud of who we are and i think i agree with the brother who said we should call ourselves SOMALI. ;)

Baashi   

Originally posted by JamaaL-11:

quote:Originally posted by Baashi:

Arab or African?

Before I give my opinion, do we have to rely on what others think/write about us or what our oral history says about us?

Think about it! What does ur grandpa/ma think about this issue?

I just refuse to take instructions, dubed as knowledge, from colonial spies who were made scholars by powers they've been working like Richard Burton and
I. M. Lewis.

Shall i laugh or not!
And why would you do that? Is that your way of disagreeing nomads who happen to have a different view point than yours?

I would rather give credence to my forefathers' side of this story...it has been consistent...and it persisted for generations! My forefathers version (of their history) does not contradict the fact that we are African (native of Africa, the continent) nor does it deny that there is negroid blood in us. There, they said, was an Arab gentleman who we trace our familial lineage (from our fathers side)and Negroid lady (from our mothers side)! We may share two or three features with one group or another but that is beside the point...Cushitic, hemetic...I don't find these words in our vocobulary..nor Oromos know it...who made it up?

Now a young upstart, an anthropoligist, a colonial master, who, in theory, beleives we are from Apes and our real cousins are Chimpenzes...come in and start to hypotheses the history of a whole nation...and the virtue of name of the school he went..the whole world starts to make reference of his work. And a bookish like you would laugh at the Nomads who refuse to swallow the so called a "tentavily accepted to explain the facts of our origin" theory crap!

keep raeding cuz that's good start to come a full circle to understand what we ought to understand...knowledge is not limilted to the confines of European libraries!

Paragon   

No Baashi, you reminded me of some of the critics of Prefessor I.M.Lewis. What can I say? the guy is being called some names but I refrain from being dragged into the circle. I wasn't gonna laugh at your opinions but I was going to, about your perceptions of Professor I.M.Lewis. lol it somehow seems funny