Sign in to follow this  
Hibo

Questions? Africans or Arabs

I am real proud all of my somlian brothers and sister th wonderfull topic that they are using at the same time i am the last one who always cames last.

If i go back to the topic i real fell bad those ppl who conseder their self as Arab so let me say one thing we are not Arab...... common ppl wake up we are Africans and we have to be prourd of who we are

A7LA-SHU   

dym what is wrong being arab? :confused: and plus no one is making anyone be something they not here.. and yeah i'm just happy the end of the day im somalian and forgot the rest... and yeah ppl just one lil thing arabs aren't that bad :( but i'm not saying u gotta like them or anything just don't generaliz..

i have a good idea lets just leave it at somalian.. how about that. :D .

Ariadne   

If the question was are we bantus the answer would be a no, if the question was are we hamites yes mots definetly and the word hamite means an african person with european or semitic features and sometimes soft hair. Since our ancestory is questioned for arab too WE ARE NOT ARABS to make that clear but since we have a lot of influence of arab culture we have diluted arab (diluted does not count for much by the way) so we are as african as possible

Miriam1   

Salam

:rolleyes: I consider my self to be african :rolleyes:

Peace there is nothing to debate about it.If people look at us they see nothing but our skin colour which proves where we come from.

Plus Senegal is 98% muslim so.... It doesnt mean that we are muslim we have some connection with teh arabs.

Salamu Alaikum,

My answer to this question is rather simple I am a Muslim and Alhamdulilah proud of how I look like and being Somali lol. To answer the question put forward in more detail i have to tell that you gys whether you like it or not many Somali clans have some sort of arab blood. Let me tell you a story to prove this statement. One day there was my uncle, his wife and the wife's brother in Oman back in the 1980's, I was in dippers during this time drinkig too much milk bottles lol. They were in a coffe house drinking coffee outside, where some Omani men asked them where you from? My uncle an crew replied Somalia, then the man said that Somali people are arabs and in particular his Omani clan were related to the ruling clan of Somalia at that time (1980's). My uncle and his crew were shocked about the Omani man's knowledge of the tribal system in Somalia and how he linked his clan to the ruling clan of the 1980's. Facinated by this enlightment, they sat down with the men talking about the tribes of Somalia and how arabs in particular Omanians and Yemenis came to Somalia in the 6th to 7th century and how people adopted the True Way of Life (Islam).

This for me proves that most Somalis have some sort of arabic blood. Some people are running away with the slight mentioning of them perhaps being arab, I don't get this, what is the matter with being Arabs? Its obvious, some Somalis associate more with some afro-americans, than their own fellow Muslim arab cousins.

I mean I love being Muslim and then Somali period alhamdulilah :D

Peace all ! Remember: We are all the Sons and Daughters of Adam, made from salsaalin kalfakhaar ( Baked Clay).

La-y-La   

i really don't know what the big deal is, I mean as far as it goes, we are africans and i am very proud of it. Lets not be ashamed of it, i mean I aint got nuting against arabs, but am simply an african. i might have soft hair or long nose, but that don't mean am an rab. i might even have roots linking to arabs, but that is a long time ago and now am an african and muslim.

peace ma ppl.

khadar01   

To mujahid,first i would like to state that i'm an african & am proud of it.the fact that we share a religion with arabs doesn't mean that we are arabs, in the the same sense that we can't call zimbabwe a european nation, because they share the same religion.seconly i'm so sad that you made those ignorant remarks about black people.may i say to you that respect your self first if you want others to respect you therefore, don't call anyone a nigga & understand that when someone says that you're included as well.we have to understand that we are africans, sure we have soft hair and nice features,but that doesn't mean that we have to feel superior to other africans and claim to be arabs that's demeaning.we should be proud of our african heritage,that's why i wear my african shirt atleast once a month to show where i come from.being an african is beautiful my brother,like a friend of mine said, i am the light of life for iam black,i'm the origin of life for i'm african.proud to be an african,no hard feelings my somali brother just enlighting you. icon_razz.gif

I think this particular tobic has been debated to its death, and perhaps should be left alone.

Of course as we are now we are 100% somali's, the country we come from is situated on the horn of east africa (a quick reminder), hence on that bases one can conclude that we are african.

However i think it is very important to never forget our origins, the thing i keep noticing is that we are saying that just becauze were muslims that doesnt make as arabs, thats true indeed. Islam is the religion of mankind, and muslims, as i know come from as far a reach as china to Brazil.

What i dont understand is the dislike ppl in this debate seem to exude against any suggestion that we do share a heritage with arabs, just as some eritreans, and some ethopians undoubtly do, and am in no doubt also that some tanzinians,and other coastal countries on the east coast of africa do.

We should acknowledge that we do share an ancestory with, in particular yemeni's, but rember when it comes down to it we are, like brother Mujahid rightly pointed out Muslims, it just so happens African muslims.

Khadar01...Iam an african coz i was born there....if you are asking my ethnicity...Iam somali part of the cushatic/hamatic stock much like the berbers , nubians, egyptians , the Oromo and afar in ethopia.Iam ashamed of being related to Bantu (Negriod)...Iam not....Iam glad we share this beautiful continent together...Iam also not ashamed to being related to arabs either through religion or blood(do yu hate them for some reason).....Since you are feeling so african...maybe you should explore little more and try to understand that Bantus are not da face of Africa.....Cushtic people in the east and north Africa have been living as long as bantus were.....Infact the word Afrika was used by the Greeks to describe the people of Tunisia(the Berbers).

Just one more thing....don't use skin color to pre-determine people's races...there is no such thing as black race, white race or yellow race.

I'm somali,muslim and african......Arab? hell no :mad:

Jamaal-11,

There is something wrong with your theory about somalis not having that negroid features you keep referring to....How do you explain the existence of " reer Shabeele", they are after all somali and do have the negroid feature (I hate that word redface.gif )

au revoir