Sign in to follow this  
Hibo

Questions? Africans or Arabs

Hibo   

A facial recontruction of the Egyptian priest who died in 1100 BC, This face is a result of his skull measurements.

This is natsef_Amun skull in a state-of-the-art reconstruction. who does he look like to you?

Click to view Nestef Amun's Skull

Brother Bachelor,

MC CRUISER is full blooded Somalian. Where is the blond hair you are talking about? lol.....at this juncture, I will settle for any hair lol.

Ask Ismahan and she will tell you she does not see any hair at all. lol.

------------------

wizride.gif

Ashwaq   

Some of you are arguing that since we are located in Africa we can not be Arabs! Are Egyptian Arabs, How about Morrocains, Algerians, Tunisian, Sudanesse? Do you know one time you could walk to Adan, Yemen from Somalia, the water tide was so low?

Are we Arabs, I don't know about you but I know My ancestors were From Arabian country, also I have african blood in me. Also,I am hearing lately people who claim they are Jews. I have seen this topic everywhere in the net, I was seeing it for the longest time, Are we Arab or African, Are we Arab or African,. I am afraid one of these days, this person or persons who keep asking this question will go mad and walk to total strangers and ask them " are you my mother?"

Who the heck cares whether we are Arab, African or as some claim Jews, we are people who Allah gave them paradise for home and did not know how live in it;we are people who choose hell over Paradise! that is it!

ayaanick   

HISTORY

There's a debate going on about somali origin, not suprisingly by somalis though, but by africans, europeans and americans , any way what do you as a somalian think about the following quotes, i never had this version before!!!

article 1 about where egyptians black?

Loring C. Brace is often cited as someone who's proven that the ancient Egyptians weren't black. He measures skulls and runs craniological evidence through computers, and concludes that sub-Saharan Africans are black, and Egyptians are in a group more similar to Europeans -- but he also considered Nubians and Somalis more like Europeans. And yet the evidence is there to be seen. Many modern Egyptians, many of them descendants of ancient Egyptians, look black. Why measure skulls and use a computer for this conclusion? Ethiopians and Somalis have been described as Caucasoid before; there is a double standard here, too.

Scholars cannot have more than one definition of blackness - the one-drop rule for the US, and for Africa the 19th century standard of the "true Negro" of the original black race with the darkest of complexions and the most Negroid of features. In the 19th century, people in Africa without the most pronounced Negro features were not considered black. The Somalis were considered Hamitic. The differences you see in Africa were not caused by marriage with [non-African] outsiders -- Africans evolved that way. Do Somalis look more European with their features or do Europeans look more like Somalis?

Article 2 the hamitic myth

According to Webster's New World Dictionary a Hamite can be described as, "a member of any of several usually dark-skinned peoples of N and E Africa, including the Egyptians, Berbers, etc.8" To many this is a general description of a Black African. But to those who perpetuate this Hamitic hypothesis however this is not the case. Rather these Hamites fall conveniently into the category of Caucasian. In his work, Races of Africa, Dr. C.G. Seligman makes the following statement:

…the civilizations of Africa are the civilizations of the Hamites, its history the record of these peoples and their interaction with the two other African stocks, the Negro and the Bushman, whether this influence was exerted by highly civilized Egyptians or by such wider pastoralists as are represented at the present day Beja and Somali…The incoming Hamites were pastoral Europeans--- arriving wave after wave---better armed as well as quicker witted than the dark agricultural Negroes. 9 A somewhat similar viewpoint is held by Dr. Donald Weidner in his work, A Short History of Africa South of the Sahara:

Caspian types also began to appear in western Kenya. They are known variously as Caspian people, early Cushites or early Hamites…These people, it is believed, migrated northeastward into Arabia and western Asia as well as northwestward into Egypt and North Africa. Recent scholars (notably Joseph H. Greenberg) have suggested that the term Cushite be applied to this parent of the Caucasian race, and that their basic language be Afroasiatic (formerly Hamitic)…Cushites who were developing Caucasian characteristics penetrated Egypt about 5,000 B.C.10

Though similar in theme, unlike Seligman, Weidner places these Hamites as originating in the heart of Africa itself, as far as Kenya., and migrating northward. But in accordance with Seligman he readily identifies them with Caucasians.

when these Caucasian cranial traits were found to exist in certain Nile Valley populations, it was assumed that these Africans were either Caucasians or hybrids of Caucasians and Africans. These Hamites are also known as members of the Brown race, Mediterranean race, Eurafricans, dark-whites

Seligman links the "highly civilized Egyptians" with the Beja and Somali, he identifies them as Hamites who themselves are separated from "the Negro and the Bushman." In fact these Hamites, who may have reached as far as Somalia, are classified as "pastoral Europeans."

Sir Grafton Elliot Smith was the next figure to whom Reynolds attributed the proliferation of the Mediterranean myth.

A Professor of Anatomy at Cairo's Egyptian Museum in the early 1900s, Smith based his findings on his examination of a wide variety of human bodies belonging to predynastic and dynastic Egyptians. His findings revealed what he described as people having an effeminate and frail build, poorly developed eyebrows, small broad noses and slight prognathism.15. But he classifies these people of predynastic and dynastic times as members of the Brown race and, according to Reynolds, vehemently "rejected the thought of a Negroid or Black affiliation of the type generally called Hamitic or Brown."16 Reynolds makes the following summary of Smith's findings:

Smith initially designated this type the Brown race on the basis of the coloring of the ancient Egyptian iconography and, secondly, because of what he considered to be the close osteological and cranial affinities with the mainly Cushitic-speaking peoples of East Africa, now called Bedja, Somali, Beni Amer, and Oroma (Galla) in Sudan, Ethiopia,

Hibo   

Ayaanick, thank you darling i read this article before and i think some of what it says is correct.

We are mono-typic, lets stop claiming to be either black or Arab. I'd rather be a pheroah

Hibo   

Does the fact that we dont know our historical background mean that we only destroy rather than keep historical facts and archives?

Should we depend on others to keep our history?

------------------

("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._

`6_ 6 ) `-. ( ).`-.__.`)

(_Y_.)' ._ ) `._ `. ``-..-'

_..`--'_..-_/ /--'_.' ,'

(il),-`` (li),` ((!.-` S-h-a-q-ss-ii

My answer to the writer is that I am not black..I am not white..I am not Yellow...I am simply Somalian, and if someone doesn't know where Somalia is I am African. I don't like the word BLACK, it has negative meaning. Think about it for a second, everything that is black is negative...when something is dirty its black, when the stock market is down its called BLACK Tuesday...when a child of a family is causing a lot of problems he/she is called the BLACK Sheap, The contenet of Africa is referred to by some ast the DARK contanent, when something is ugly it is referred to as being BLACK. I do not associate any of the above negative conitations. I am A beutiful, Somalian-African Queen. I love everything that is African, the hundereds of culture, values, the streights of AFricans who have gone through so much and still emerace everyday with hope and hard work. I relate more to an African because the color of my skin complement well with other AFricans,then with an ASian, I also share a believe system with the people that look like, just as much as I share with Arabs.

peace and blassings

------------------

My peace and blessings be with you.

Missy   

I have a little test for all of u who are still confused as to who or what u are:

1)stand next to the nearest white person u can find and compare skin colour. Are u darker than he/she is?.....if answer is yes then u are black!

2)next find an atlas and locate Somalia. Is it in the African continent?......if answer yes then u are African!

3)finally try to speak in ur mother tongue (if u have forgotten then locate the nearest elderly somali person and try to engage in conversation). Are you/they speaking arabic.....if answer is no then u are not an arab!

In conclusion you are: Somali-black-African.

This is not very hard to work out people! Now stop talking about this nonsense and post more useful topics such as 'how can i help my people back home'

yo HOLD UP !!

somalilanders r from serilanka well all somalies from serilanka sheck this take the world mab and tie it all 2gether u well found somalia gona end up under neath of india next 2 serlinka and if u see ppl from srilanka r dark like us with straight hair

i rest my case

A7LA-SHU   

i guess we all think different which is good mansha'allah.. in a way it doesn't matter but in other hand it is good to know who u are....

well here is my answer to this q. i would say we are african when u put in country wise becoz we are located in africa.. but if we speaking about blood i would say both.. we mixed... here is my reasons when u look at all the african countries u see dark ppl, nappy hair and etc.. when u see somalians u don't see that. why? well when the arabs were going around they married those african ppl which somalia being one of them. and that is why we look brownish kinda not totally black. and lil hint check the countries that aren't muslim they don't look like the east or north of african countries.. that should tell u lil something..

if any of u guys think i'm wrong prove me coz i would love to see that.

but hey i guess u can be whatever makes u happy.. i personaly can't say i'm one or the other coz i'm mixed to this day so i'm both forever.. and about ur mr bacholer why u hating huh lol.. anyways good luck being african or arabs.. but back in yemen when i was there alot of yemenis will tell u somalians are yemeni.. so i don't know yo...

Nuruddin   

Stop the crap the cleym we are mixt with arabs dont hold woter. Whaye i tel you bekoz wen if the somali have ben mixt you wuld have sen beag difrens from amangs the somali as for exampel Egypt and yemen ther you se the egyptians ho are dark ho are mor darker ho are light or more lighter and so on no 2 are look the same. The difrens in thows contry is bekoz of inter marig of african and arabs. Bat look att the somali and tel me is ther difrens no 95% look the same. So wen difrent rase mix it will be difrens from person to person. So if you cleym somali are mix with arab then you have to explane is srilankan mix with afrikan? Stop sealing to as you cleym we are arabs or mix with arabs. WE are africans black and dark as the rest of african.

A7LA-SHU   

oh woow nuurdin.. hate to be rude bro but to be honest i have no idea none what so ever what u just said. don't think i'm being rude coz i'm not.. but i think my english isn't good enough or something.. but if u can clear out u just said would be helpful.. the only thing i got something about claimin to be arab or mixed with arabs? u talking about all somalis or me claimin to be mixed with arab.. coz if it comes to somalis in general me have no idea. but if i speak for myself i'm half arab.

bro that is just how i see it and i know that is not how everyone think and i respect that. and if u wanna be african there is no one stoping u coz after all our country is in africa, always been and always will.. but anyways i'll stop here so have fun bro.. and take care. sallam....