Sign in to follow this  
Hibo

What is going on BBC, somali service?

Hibo   

I would like to express here about my conscious of what's going on BBC som. ser.

I don't to ask what's made it for? but i am asking what is the role of this radio? who's running the BBC SOM. SER.? are there any hidden hands running the BBC som. ser. behind the scene?

I think anyone who look deeply what's going on BBC som. ser. will realize that there are bad tricks going on there, and what we are expecting in the near future may be worse.

we were expecting that the BBC som. ser. to be neutral on the atrocity which is occuring in our country, but it seems that the BBC som. ser. involving in a one way or another.

If you (all nomads) agree with me or not, please let me know to look a solution of this tragedy.

Hibo   

Well, I don't know what goes on in the BBC somali section these days but i am 100% sure that this broadcast serve as the fuel the burns the flames of war back home. In my careful obsersations of the BBC, I found that the BBC has alot to answer when it comes to knowing what pro-longed the civil war. It is ironic sometimes to hear the waring functions using the BBC as a propanganda arena. Nowadays I came to believe that the BBC is a modern way of colonising the weak and impliments factors that linked to foreign affairs. Not only is the BBC fueling the crisis between Somalis but it has become the "ultimate" power to varify occurances. If someone is killed or kidnaped in remote somalia, firstly it has to be said or varified by the BBC, ofwhich millions of Somalis listen to. Warring functions seem to wage war of words between themselves. For example, Someone in a clan might be killed by another clan, revenge is made and broadcasted back to the public to settle a score between the clans.

I truly believe that the BBC took its share in braking up what was the Somali Government. BBC is the foreign affairs of the British government and as long as it has the access to convey ignotory news to our people, I am affraid we will have yo suffer more.

We must disable the romate controlled broadcasts of the BBC if peace is to avail in our lands, simple and clear

Salaan...

Jamaal:

Can you try to broadcast and satisfy in a fullnews from all corners of Soomaaliya and from abroad {qurba} at same time a people in these locations: Gaalkacyo, Marka, Baydhabo, Buulo Xaawo, Jawhar, Dhuusamareeb, Afmadoowe, Dooloow, Qoryoleey and Afgooye? I am sure, you can't satisfy them all. Unlike you, these people who live these locations don't have an alternative news source than the Been-Been-Siidaa {as I call it}. But, their only mainstream news is from Been-Been-Siidaa. So, I don't really blame BBC, but whoever manipulates it. Of course, like other corporations, it is all about business. And the last half century, BBC had done much to profiting it. Though, it is a public service, still... smile.gif No news sources is perfect, from Reuters to AP. Every news source has an agenda--hidden or not.

Macsalaama!!

[This message has been edited by Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar (edited 03-06-2002).]

Hibo   

i agree with MMWA,BBC is not perfect, but it is better than nothing, people in somalia, they do not have any other source of information, without bbc they would be deaf and blind. i think bbc is better than what it was 1992-1994.

Hibo   

Guys, "No news means good news" and there is no justification for what this manipulative BBC has coasted us. BBC as a business firm is not as distructive as BBC and the purpose it serves currently in our society, so damaging than beneficial. It is wise, i suppose to give up the BBC as a source of news although I know it is diffult for many of us. The solution to giving it up all together will be to have a national broadcasts, may they be business own or organisations

[This message has been edited by JamaaL-11 (edited 03-06-2002).]

mataan   

salaams all;

it is clear that the BBC is not doing good. i agree wid MMA. as he said u cant satisfy everyone. those people in somalia have no other source of news. everything has its pros and cons, so just wait until we can find a better media then we can talk bout terminating the BBC somali service.

macasalaama

Hibo   

The prime responsibility of journalists--- is to provide to the public (Somalis) they serve a news service as accurate, full and prompt as human integrity and devotion can devise. To that end, they declare their acceptance of the standards of practice set for them and their solemn intent to honour them to the limits of their ability. Somehow that doesn’t even come near to what the BBC Somali service does. The primary purpose of broadcast journalists is to inform the listeners the majority of who are Somalis of events of importance and appropriate interest in a manner that is accurate and comprehensive. This often overrides all other purposes. Listening to the BBC one could sense that most of the journalists don’t take facts seriously and of course information that is broadcast is often not up to date and lacks clarification and is often not very accurate as they use journalist who aren’t qualified in the field and who tend to be biased in their reporting ( i.e. Clanism).

Broadcast news presentations should be designed not only to offer timely and accurate information, but also to present it in the light of relevant circumstances that give it meaning and perspective. The responsibility of radio journalists is to gather and report information of importance and interest to the public (Somalis) accurately, honestly and impartially. Years ago the BBC Somali service had brilliant broadcasters who were impartial in their reporting but lately one would think the standard has immensely dropped. We as Somalis should have built on this to make the Somali service the envy of many other Nations who do the same by providing the necessary criticisms of the way the information is passed on and how fair it should be via commentaries and phone ins. It should have been a place where most Somalis have the opportunity to air out their successes as well their grievances to the world. I have been here in the UK for years but I have never seen a Somali journalist come out to interview Somalis and find out what was happening around most cities in the UK. Now where has the creativity gone?

------------------

("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._

`6_ 6 ) `-. ( ).`-.__.`)

(_Y_.)' ._ ) `._ `. ``-..-'

_..`--'_..-_/ /--'_.' ,'

(il),-`` (li),` ((!.-` S-h-a-q-ss-ii

AUN   

What was the prime aim of its creators. The BBC releases nearly fifty language to the Third World on a daily basis and it is funded by British Foreign and Commonwealth Office. As to the aim of its creation, I had the opportunity to talk to a and old Englishman who happened to witness when the Somali section of the BBC was created in 1957 and he told me that "Britain created the BBC Somali section in order to counter the pro-independence prgrammes released from Cairo by SYL members who were in Egypt and supported by Gamal Abd Nasir" it seems that it is still doing its main task.

I happen to know that the BBC used to release some East European languages as well as German during the Cold War era, however after the demise of the Soveit and communism the BBC stopped all the programmes aimed at those countries by mid 1990s

Bachelor   

I strongly believe BBC should be held equally responsible or no less than those war lords for igniting the war and hatred among our people even deeper. Under estimating the power of Media (in this case BBC/Somali)is a graive mistake. BBC suppose to be the one and only fair, balanced and unbais media. However, the organization is far from being one. The modern day journalism has became full of self interest; therefore, something we must question everything.