Sign in to follow this  
Abdinuur

DEBATE ON FEMALE CIRCUMCISION!!!

Hibo   

Aslaamu caleykum Everyone,

just of all i would like to say how can i read about this gurl? i mean does she have website or what? i mean i have never heard about her before until i come to this site. second i would like to say i totally agree with buubto sista you said it all. i mean i would have said it better then u already had.

thanks

salam!!

Hibo   

I haven't read the book yet.

Buubto,

Are you mad at Waris for telling the truth? So what if you are talking about Somalis in a negative way. They need to be told the truth..which is the way they treat their women is not right at all. I'm glad Waris went out there and at least tried to let everyone know about issues that exist in Somalia cuz if you aint gonna solve your own problems, someone else will. Buubto, you say that circumsion is alright if you get it done the suni way. It's not dear. why are you even gonna alter something you were born with. if Allah meant for you to have it in one piece, then y'all parents shouldn't be messing with it. Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) only said it to do the suni way cuz he didnt want to totally change the culture at the time. So when some one speaks out about their experience and they tell the whole world what Somalis do in Somalia, stop living in denial and see the truth for what it is.

------------------

Don't get mad..Just my opinion!

Hibo   

Her opinion doesn't really mean shes right about what she wrote.

The way she told her story is what makes every Somali mad. They call it Sensationalism....Defame her own to become famous. Circumcision has been part of the Somali culture for ages. If something has to be changed then it has to be discussed in arational educated manner not make Somalis abarbaric culture which its not.

My Opnion is that the way she went about it was wrong.....Sensationalism and rediculing her own wont make her abetter person rather history would always be unkind and treat her as the one that sold out.

FGM is Wrong and thats where the story should have began not Somalis treating her like apeace of meat.

------------------

("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._

`6_ 6 ) `-. ( ).`-.__.`)

(_Y_.)' ._ ) `._ `. ``-..-'

_..`--'_..-_/ /--'_.' ,'

(il),-`` (li),` ((!.-` S-h-a-q-ss-ii

Hibo   

**************OOPS***************8

------------------

"Don't let life discourage you;everyone who got where he is had to begin where he was"

[This message has been edited by Indhadeeq (edited 05-16-2002).]

Hibo   

Hmmmm interesting topic!

Firstly I agree with UnixGuru & Hibo

Secondly Najma ur rite about Aids & other diseases being prevented by havin by circumcision. I watched a programme about some Clans in Africa who practised circumcision & how they had a smaller percentage of people diagnosed with HIV/AIDS & other diseases caught through sexual intercourse (or STD). But the programme was about the way a circumced penis had less chances of catching STD's.

Thirdly Mina May Allah bless our mothers for daring to stand up against the teachings of their culture. Dat must really have been hard. But then again Somali women are tough people.

We as Muslims shouldn't oppress anybody and I believe takin away somethin which Allah (SWT) has provided us with is oppression!

We shouldn't & haven't got the ability to mess & alter the perfect creations of Allah (SWT). Insha Allah things will change but it wont be over nite! We need to have faith & help each other spread the word of justice!

& once again may Allah (SWT) bless my Mother and my Father for bringin me up & makin such a big decision-back then in my (and my sister's) favour! Ameen.

I love ya'll peace out, ur sis ExDane

Hibo   

I believe FGM is completely wrong and unnecesary. Yet, like sister Ameenah pointed out, sisters back home may not share the same opinions maybe due to lack of education. Shaqsii has a point too that Waris's approach to our internal problem was the wrong way.

I think this is an internal problem, and we need to deal with it....not get others involved. Yes, the world will know about this horrific practice, laakin we need more educated folks representing this issue soley, not attack and defame a whole people's culture. So where are the educated brothers and sisters to get involved??? We only hear the glamour model's opinions, am I right?

Secondly, to my limited understanding of Islam, i've heard muslim scholars on a number of occasions, who ofcourse are non-somali, and they confirmed that in no where in Islam does it encourage any circumcision of females. Period! So for all of you saying its sunnah, can u forward me the sources please????? I've been meaning to get a hold of them. That's all folkzzz. Peace.

Ugbaad   

Salaan Beautiful Sisterz and Handsome BRotherz

wooow this is excellent topic.im surprised nobody got wild loool. i agreed to most of you guys about this low life jungle chicken trick that sure gave us bad repuation. especially $omalian Women. its very sad to say we have people like WAris among us. very ignorrant naag who sold her soul to the Devilz for Few $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. naayaa Mizz Foo Foo aka WARiis i hope you are happy writting 2 bookz out of your private parts. it sure is famous by now.

going back to the circumcision issue. as a $somalian Girl im absolutely against it, but i have no power over it as far as stopping it goez. i just hope our mothers will start practicing Suneee instead of fircoon devish foot steps. akhas. thats horrible wallahi considering ourselvez decent Muslimz. yet again we are proud and unique so no complains may allah blezz us all and lead us all to sweet heaven and forgive for our bad deeds every single one of us. say amiiin all!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hibo   

I was avoiding posting here because this is such an sensitive issue; however, I will give my two cents.Female cirucumcision or FGM is completely wrong and something we can definetly live without.It puts the female in pain at a young age, when her menses comes and during pregnancy especially. Also when people say its in the Quran and its sunnah because it gets rid of the girls "uncleanliness" since Allah has created the female body (as well as the male body)Im pretty sure it was created flawless in a sense(not completely flawless but in a sense) so that humans would not have to fiddle with what was created by God, so what we are cutting off could be there for a very good reason and further more I dont think its so much more religous, but cultural it has to do with more african culture as a continet instead of the religions of the countries that practise FGM. I think masha allah that more young people are becoming educated and not putting their daughters throught the insufferable pain but the older generation has to be educated as well.

The problem with this is that the older generation simply cling to it with the only defense being that its tradition. I hope there is a day in the future where we can get rid of such a tradition for good.

XawoTako   

We all disagree with it but there aren't many who are actually doing anything about it.

As for Waris Diire's 'Desert Flower', greatly dissapointing. I want my £12 back. No, really, I was expecting some controversial literary master piece, 'and then this happened, and then that'???. I have nothing against what she wrote, I was just annoyed that she was so delusional to think every man with a dick (no matter how old and crinkly, I think her uncle at one point too?) wanted to do her.

It was alll me me me.

lol@Jaber, extremely sick I must agree.

Degan   

Hey guys....first of all i´m so happy to see that brothers and sisters are really agreed when it comes to the real pain,DEMBI, and unhappiness(sexually) circumciosion gives many girls in this crazy world and people with sick tradition just didn´t know better.

What makes me unhappy and sad is that there is still going on even doe ppl know it is haram but hey just fight agains it and tell those who thinks diffrent they commit both sin and others pain and.

For a better days my dear Nomads

Hibo   

You know, if any other female-whether she be white, black, jew, muslim- had spoken up on the issue, I wonder if all you Somalis would have had such negative things to say about her. Just because she happens to belong to the same culture you do, doesnt give you the right to bash on her as an individual-maybe the content of her book-but not her. I totally think FGM was a means of control for men to have over their wives and daughters..PERIOD. All this BS about preventing sexually transmitted disease..uhm, well how were the men prevented from it? It jus another form of dominance one individual (in dis case, a whole gender) has over another. What in God's name would possess you to mutilate ya own child? Its jus to continue this vicious cycle of havin control over each other..as sick as it is... Maybe da way Warsiye went about it wasnt rite..but hell, as long as shes bringing attention to this issue..its something. At least now, we got a dialogue goin' about the situation, see..sumthing good can come out of something bad ding ding ding

------------------

"don't be a hard rock, when u really are a gem"