Sign in to follow this  
unixguru

A better people

unixguru   

Yes, it has been said before...

But never about someone that I know... then 2 days I was told about "it".

You don't need to know what "it" is, but I'll say this... why is it that many (by far not all) Somalis are attracted to the Afro-American (or American in general) culture?

I mean, it really is an immoral, disgraceful society.

Example: what is the point of trying to be like JZ (sp?) or Madana (sp?) when these people are even looked down on by descent self-respecting Americans?

I think any reasonable person will agree that the lowest people in American society are the people in the entertainment industry. Sure, not all of them, but as a whole they are corrupt. So why do people look up to them?

Why not be a better people? In all things, education, wealth, freedom, justice.

Hibo   

The answer is simple bro... we, Somalis, tend to be attracted to the bad sides of every culture...rather than the good... dressing like a ghetto person...or talking like one is...more appealing than the decent looking. What somalis really misunderstood is the value of having a culture,..for we take most of what the rest of the world strives for...for granted..

They say, easy come easy go...we got an easy culture...ofcourse we gonna abandon it easily. And the fact that we do have fathers yet they don't play a role in...shaping the future of that child... he is either too busy working or is sitting at coffee shops...yapping about politics...that he has no call for...B4 we blame anyone... bro...to me its time... we sat down and analyzed our ownselves. Many factors do contribute to the outrageous behaviors we witness in our..youngsters.

Nomadman   

well said Hibo, but sis be fair to the Somali male species, what happened to the mother in all this. Back home, the father were as absent as they are today, it was the mothers' roles to be the one who shapes the child mind! but our women are now either working outside of the home, tragic, or busy watching TV or talking on the phone catching up with the latest gossip. meanwhile the children TV became their babysiter just like million of American children and their rolemodel has become whomever they are seeing on TV.

Salamu Alaikum,

Well said Hibo. Hibo and Nomad please do not blame the men or the women blame the individuals who have chosen their own fate. Don't get me wrong not every parent is a good one but I think we owe big to our parents and we should appreciate what they have done for us in taking care of us when we were little.

Blame yourself not others !

W/Salaam.

Mujahid over and out !

Thunder   

"You don't need to know what "it" is, but I'll say this... why is it that many (by far not all) Somalis are attracted to the Afro-American (or American in general) culture?"

:D Somalians are not the only people that are attracted to the Afro-American culture. Phillipinos, Whites...and Latinos are into the hiphop culture simply it is the dominant form of entertainment. Besides that some of the social difficulties that they have faced and still face are felt by the new comers(nonwithes). The afro- American is not only music it includes educatio, politics, and religion-the largest muslim in North America is the African American. Muslims would have harder time if it was not for this cultrure. Don't believe all that you see on TV.

"I mean, it really is an immoral, disgraceful society."

You sound like Pat Buchanan. This is ignorent comment. It is wise to generalize people.

"Example: what is the point of trying to be like JZ (sp?) or Madana (sp?) when these people are even looked down on by descent self-respecting Americans?"

I see nothing wrong with young adults to admire thier favorite entertainer. These people are looked up to as entertainer nothing more. Any one that looks down on another people is far from descent and don't know the first thing about respect.

"I think any reasonable person will agree that the lowest people in American society are the people in the entertainment industry. Sure, not all of them, but as a whole they are corrupt. So why do people look up to them?"

:D Any industry has crooks and low lifes. The most corrupt people are politicians, lawyers, juudges and cops.

"Why not be a better people? In all things, education, wealth, freedom, justice."

:D Have a broad mind and read. Learn about other people accomplishment before you paint them with a broad brush.

Thunder, 2 thumps up.

African American have a culture and a history other than "hiphop". That was pretty ignorant of you to say such a comment. Education would be a first positive step....... :rolleyes: