Sign in to follow this  
Jaber

The Somali Identity

Jaber   

Hana1

I can see u've been paying too much attention to men-n-macawiis lol......but ....u know with all due respect to Islamic values I don't see why wearing a macawiis is sonsidered un-islamic?!

pants show more than macawiis and so what if a sister goes out wearing a colorful diric?....its much better than wearing a mini skirt or a pair of jeans.......and for the record sisters wear the diric oudoors only on especial occasions I.e. aroosyada,xafladaha and its a blast to see'em walking around wearing the diric their mothers wore...why should they subsitute it for anything else is beyond my understanding!!......as long ay asturanyihiin its a well-known fact that somali women r safe around their men folks......maybe the arabic women and gaalada women need to cover up fearing for themselves but have u ever heard of a somali girl getting raped at a somali wedding?.....never ...ever...thats why our women walk freely and wear whatever the heck they feel like wearing(only around somali men duh lol)......boys will always be boys and girls will always be girls....

Originally posted by Jaber:

Naag-Qaawan

u have stressed the point beyond belief....thumps up
smile.gif

WorldVisionChild

r u an orphan?

well,anyway......I have a question for ya since u won't be caught dead wearing that thin see through diric.......is it okay as to speak for u to wear a tight mini skirt?

another thing......am not asking u to wear diric in public nor am I asking somali boys to wear macawiis outdoors.....am simply asking u to wear normal,casual cloths....not this hip-hop menia.

Naag-Qawaan..nice name..contradictin much?Thanks for the lecture, but believe me honey, I've heard it many times before, and I know exactly what Allah wants from me.

Jabber, no, I am not an oprhan.

No, it's not okay to wear mini-skirts. Any true muslim would know that, and I don't wear them.

and what exactly IS "normal, casual clothes."? What you may think is "normal", they won't and vice versa.

WVC........... Baby girl, you're right the name was contradicting! but U know what they say? "Nothing exists until or unless it is observed" Just Cuz the name Says NQ It doesn't Really mean I'm smile.gif

Jaber   

WVC

u've failed to detect the humor in mu response but its okay.......and I wish ppl would stop referring to me as Jabber!!....its Jaber xaaaaaaaf.

let me first say that am not a dress expert,in my opinion

casual cloths for women would be anything thats not revealing........for men its the usual dress code for gentleman normal pants not too baggy and not too tight.....a belt.....shirts and a clean polished shoe.....thats all.

Salaam..

What I wont 2 say that the Somale ppl in western they trying 2 hard 2 hide there identity under western cover.

But what I wont 2 say also that somale ppl in Arab country they trying 2 hard 2 hide

There identity under Arab cover by wearing white ((deshdash)) and talking

Arabic instead of somaleee lunges …

Also about the girls r the same they wear that black cloth.. Like Arab girls and talking like them..In my college there r so many somale guys some of them they making them Self's Arab's although they born in Somalia and they know somale

Lunges 2 much …most of the somale girls in uae they get married from Arab guys..

& Some ales there B/F r Arab guys..

What strange is that the new fashion in Arab guys is 2 have black girl as G/F

And of course not any black girl coz the other black girls r not dutiful as much as somalee girls so most of the Arab guys there G/F r somale girls so the problem

Is big 2 much coz there r also in Arab country somale guys they making them self's like…nigga..by wearing like them and go 2 night clops .. ..yaa night clops I'm sure most of u will say in Arab country night clop ..yaa there r so many night clops in Arab country and somale guys as will as girls they go it…

So why we r talking about western ppl only ….see what we have here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bye the way …plz any 1 have command use English only coz I donoo somale

Coz I'v born in Arab country ..

------------------

su_81

Abdinuur   

Well...is true and it is a terrible thing to see young Somali teenagers acting and dressing in different way than their own culture. Nowadays, teenagers are into materialistic things...you know the BLING BLINGy things that are portrayed by rappers such as the Hotboyz and Juvis. Well...I am not judge or a juror, but we need to focus on our own identity and act towards our culture. In a world filled with so many prejudice and cultural conditioning, it's hard to find people who are able to think objectively. Let's be proud of our culture and our country. And let others non-somalis recognize that. Somali Power cool.gif Peace

Pig   

Until we can get rid of that Dixon (Toronto), Cedar (Minneapolis) and Wembley(London) getto image, we stand to loose as nomads. We are the true nomads of this universe and we are the from the land of the poets. I see no quick solution in sight.

What is clothes got to do with ur identity.

since when does clothes make u more somali or less somali.

What clothes did u use to wear when u were in somalia?

[This message has been edited by Admin (edited 01-07-2002).]

jaber ur fool.

what do mean casual clothes?

since when wearing casual clothes made u a somali?

I hate mofos like u worring about stupid things.

I wear baggy pants and I sag it too, so I am no longer a somali.

I watch bet and I am a member of blackpkanet so I am no longer somali

I am probably more somali than ignorant @SS

Worry about making peace first then saving our misguided form of culture.

UR killing each other and ur here babbling about nonesense

------------------

(Iriscience)

I got worldwide family all over the earth

And I worry 'bout 'em all for whatever it's worth

From the birth to the hearse, the streets, the guns burst

Words I disperse are here to free minds

And if mine are needy I need to feed mine

Hibo   

Somali teenagers, like any other teenagers are easily influenced by their peers. They want to fit in and so dress like the ppl that surround them. As they get older they will get their priorities right. Perfect Example ME:

In high school, I wouldn't let my sisters talk to me in Somali, I hated my accent and worked really hard at speaking like everyone else. And heaven forbid if I listened to anything other than R&B n hip hop. I tried my best to fit in. These all became less important as I grew up. I'm not interested in fitting in anymore. I know who I am and where I am from. I'm proud to be both a Muslim and a Somali, and I don't care who knows it (especially post-Sept11).

So, I wouldn't worry too much about the younger generation. Insha Allah they will find their way.

And YES, I do go out in my diric in the summer, beats boiling in trousers or skirts.(Lol)