Sign in to follow this  
Jaber

The Somali Identity

Jaber   

there is nothing I despise more than a person trying too hard to hide his or her identity in search of another!

young S-men runing around wearing baggy FUBU pants that r two to three sizes bigger than their actual waist size!?

aint too sure about that nylon piece they strap around their heads looking idiotic yet thinking they're on top of the world!

S-women r doing it too..those tight mini skirts aren't exactly a lady wear!..it's an open invitation to every guy to take a shot at ya wether u want him or not..

This thugish..nigga-wannabe..attitude needs to stop......we need to go back to basics....I once wore that same ol baggy jeans but at the same time knew when to let go of them!

channel's like BET and websites like blackplanet are targeting a particular group the AFRO-AMERICANS..let's be reasonable us&them have very little in common apart from the black color factor!.....SO WHAT?.....are sri-lankan's black too!!

the only thing that connects people and draws them closer together is CULTURE and thats about it.

if we want to preserve our Somali identity we need to start acting like ones.

They don't care what you think of the way they dress. It doesn't matter how much you stress on this issue, they'll dress to whatever style is "in". I really don't think somali boys wanna go out wearing a macawis, same goes for somali girls with diracs. I wouldnt' be caught dead wearing that thin see through material out in public, I'm practically NAKED in that thing! So...

Jaber, Good Point!!.........

WorldVision...... What is "in" Today Won't be "in" or there to protect you from HEll-FIRE would it?the present life is only a trial preparation for the next realm of existence. This life is a test for each individual for the life after death. A day will come when the whole universe will be destroyed and the dead will be resurrected for judgment by God... Trust Me that Day Ur Mini skirt nor your FUBU wear Won't help U.

Allah SubXana Wata'Alaah Said..

"Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty: that will make for greater purity of them: And Allah is well acquainted with all that they do. And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty: they should not display their ornaments except what must ordinarily appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty..."

It's really Simple, Nothing to it as Shaikh Abu 'Ali Nabeel al-Awadhi Said Before..

"So be the children of the Hereafter and not the children of this life. A Party in Paradise and a party in the hell-fire" Which One would it be??

------------------

Anything good I said came from Allah...Anything bad I said...well..thats PMS talking.

Jaber   

Naag-Qaawan

u have stressed the point beyond belief....thumps up smile.gif

WorldVisionChild

r u an orphan?

well,anyway......I have a question for ya since u won't be caught dead wearing that thin see through diric.......is it okay as to speak for u to wear a tight mini skirt?

another thing......am not asking u to wear diric in public nor am I asking somali boys to wear macawiis outdoors.....am simply asking u to wear normal,casual cloths....not this hip-hop menia.

GeelJire   

heey heey com'on now take it easy on da sista, she is just trying to express her thoughts, Naag qaawan you make a good point, Let that be a lesson to all of us, and Jaber make your point but please do not generalize. You guys can make a point with out being so "pointy" na mean, that's one of our weaknesses as somalians. Maybe the see thru dirac is worse than the mini skirt in her view which in sum cases it is, but u can tell her the mini skirt is as bad with out going there...how ever the orphan part i didnt get..lol,

Ok, my thoughts on hidin the somalian identity, I dont think the clothes have anything to do with keepin your culture, i see white boy wannabees all the time and beleive me that's even worse, bottom line wanna bees are wanna bees. so it is Keep ur culture period, ur style is different, if a person has a poor style and ignorant behavior u cant blame it on da culture now, they havent lost nothing..they just need to gain something. so next time u see them, maybe a tip would help...

peace.

------------------

"still i am dat geeljire,

that neva learned to luv da city**waryaa

Jaber   

ilayn Geeljire waa Geeljire lol(just kidding waryaa)

have u heard of the saying"u can take the Geeljire out of the hawd but u can never take the hawd out of the Geeljire"

this is so true in ur case...........I didn't say anything offensive to the sister......nor have I insulted her in anyway.......u Geeljire people take things out of the Caano Geel concept lol

C'mon Jaaber...are we dissing "GEELJIRE" now or the whole identity of this discussion board. Geeljire (nomad) is not cay. Caano Geel is also cool, so Please apologize to your fellow nomads now. You owe us an apology.

Hibo   

Jaber man yo talk to much non sense.........leave plp alone.

------------------

Ex-Dhilo Now A Muslimo.... 2nd chances in life are the best chances!!........Use them wisely.

Jaber   

MNkid

am not dissing him bro.....u see there is this thingy called humor!....find out about it..

EX-Dhilo-n-Proud of it

can u read english???........read absorb then open ur exhausted big mouth!!.

Faiza   

Jaber i couldent agree with you more,somali people are the cheapst when it comes down to showing their heritige.My cousin who just came down from Pakastine,his been here little over 9 months and his already dressing and acting like the rapperz he sees on T.V.

And I mean he weared nothing but a "qamiis"before he came out here.If his already acting like this now what do you think he will be doing after 5 yaers from now?

Paeca and Harmony!!

Hibo   

I am kind of late I see....but to add my two cents won't hurt I believe. I am in total agreement with Jaber on this issue. We need to dig deeper than the faucet of somalism. There lies a truer n deeper meaning to Somali then the mere being of a national. Seeing a brother wearing macawis when ofcourse weather permits is such a huge turn on. It wasn't an issue back home, why make it one now? Second, I think somali women look beautiful wearing dirac than anything else.

The first anon: Its true dirac is see through... but ever heard of something called garbasaar isku laab?... U can put that on n be good to go.

I can understand if folks wore jeans n pants b/c its winter. Its true we didn't have that kind of weather back home...but for God's sake even summer. Now that is what I call mimicking West! Be proud of ur heritage. America is the way it is b/c of lack of culture. There is nothing they can call their own. SO cherish what u have, not many r blessed with such a wealth!

Jaber   

maybe its about time I start shopping for a macawiis lol........my two fellow nomad sisters Fiaza iyo Hibo thank u for ur valuble inputs smile.gif and keep wearing em diric's..cause no matter what they say they look magnificant.

Hana1   

You guys Are putting diin and culture together...if we look at the Diin the dirac nor the macawis can be worn outside because the macawis show the mans whole body and figures it as it swirls around him...just as the dirac is see through, Hibo you said that there is a thing called garbasar well i don't know if you know but our somalian dirac is very colourful and very attracting and the Quran and the hadith says don't wear clothes that appeal men and certainly both you and i know that our somali dirac is appealing and some men find women attractive just wearing them without having to see it being a see through or not!.

I'm not saying that i think its right that we have youth both male and females wearing western clothes but some females in somalia wore a dirac knowing that it was see through ,just as some girls now were mini skirts knowing that it is naked and appealing.

I think instead of telling ppl to go back to the culture and show that we are somalis by wearing somali clothes, you should tell them to go back to the diin and cover up totally and obey what it says in the quran and the sunna....and fear the hell fire

Hibo   

Hana: No one is arguing about that sis......but u did miss the whole point......what we were discussing was culture.....religion had no play in it. But for most part that is true...Islam...had forbidden wearing colorful outfits outside.