Sign in to follow this  
lol

From personal experience!

"Bee, Dictionary.com translates Chauvinist as 1: a person with a prejudiced belief in the superiority of his or her own kind 2: an extreme bellicose nationalist [syn: jingoist, jingo, flag-waver, hundred-percenter]"

LoL...oh ok. I used the wrong word. How about a 'misogynist'? Is that a better one? icon_razz.gif

Jokes...but u know what UD?...I do believe you have serious issues with Somali women. That's my impression from most of your posts.

lol   

Hibo is the one making the sweeping statements on how female superioty is making men scatter like roaches when the lights come on and I'm saying they maybe running for other reasons....so who's the chauvinist?

Underdog: like my sister BEE said, u have issues walaahi with somali women... u misinterpret and convert simple conversations into raven gender superiority.... its sad though... If a brother admits to being intimidated saying quote " waa iga burji sareysaa" I don't know how good your somali is but this to me seems intimidation and if u r trying to be chauvanistic here... its not called for hon...what I am trying to say to the brothers is.. there is more to the sisters who are strong then competition!

HONEY-D   

I once asked a NON-somali collogue of mine what he thought about Somali women since he had many somali female friends, i thought he would atleast have some ideas about Us. he said somali women are strong, value their culture and religion and can deal with just about everything. they care about their families and those around them and often Juggle with work studies and house work. I knew he meant it since i've known him for a number of years.

i also asked a friend of mine what he thought about somali women in the western world he said you would think they are arrogant and easly offended when you meet them for the first time but once you get to know them and learn to avoid sensitive subjects you would treasure every moment you spend with them. i thought that was sweet.

underdog   

Here we go again mi·sog·y·nist : n. One who hates women.

Come on now, Bee, That's a SERIOUS allegation. If I hated you ladies I wouldn't spend all this time here...so go see shayma about that chill pill.

Hibo, I'll admit to misinterpreting and converting simple conversations into raven gender superiority issues... If you'll admit the possibility that your first post in this topic may have been a little "inflated" out of proportion. Because if you rationally analyze everything you said and everything I said, we maybe guilty of the same thing.

It also seems you fine ladies prefer to have the last word, so should you feel the need to contribute closing arguments I try (hard) not to flare up this issue again.

Baashi   

he said somali women are strong, value their culture and religion and can deal with just about everything. they care about their families and those around them and often Juggle with work studies and house work. I knew he meant it since i've known him for a number of years.

i also asked a friend of mine what he thought about somali women in the western world he said you would think they are arrogant and easly offended when you meet them for the first time but once you get to know them and learn to avoid sensitive subjects you would treasure every moment you spend with them. i thought that was sweet.

That's just awesome. It is true characterization of the ones I met. Granted not all of them fit that description but it is safe to say the majority are like that.

Hibo, qallanjo u r right there r timid, wimpy Somali men out there. It is unfortunate u keep meeting them at every corner u tend to socialize :D . But it is fair to say that they are a minority - sort of exception than the rule. Let me assure u that most nomads I know who r looking wants the best mate. If u ask them what they consider 'best', the answers u got varies. But they all have one thing in common: religion and education.

Lack of self confidence, timidity, and low self-steem are triats that trascends ethnicity, race, and nationalities. When and if I come back to Mnpls I will try to prove u wrong :D

Jewel   

debt collector-what was the point of posting what the pakistani man said? Is it to say that poor somali woman are under the influence of the west and they neglect their duties according to u being a housewife, primarily?so again, here is another stating that, sistas shouldnt pursue education and automatically, those in the west are pretentious ppl that have put this new culture in front of their own...i guess if all the sistas said today, u know what, forget education, im gonna depend on my farax and be a 50's housewife, with dinner served on time, the kids all taken care of, the house sparkling, all the while, with a smile pasted on my face...reality check ....that's unrealistic and propably won't happen in ur lifetime...

...and here i thought that a couple united should see each other as a "we" instead of an "I" because isn't marriage a partnership? and what's wrong with a wife giving her input on situations to her husband, god forbid she shares what's in her feeble mind... what's wrong with sharing the household duties? after all, don't they both live in that space and need to contribute to its cleanliness? Were u just showing what the paki man or does his beliefs mirror urs?

Pls, let me here ur thoughts.

lol   

UD: Instead of looking for closure how about we analyse the situation and figure out a way to soften our flaws, apparently we all lack that?

Baashi: Would love to see you do that, prove me wrong I mean but u should be aiming for Abu Dhabi not Mpls ;)

underdog   

i guess if all the sistas said today, u know what, forget education, im gonna depend on my farax and be a 50's housewife, with dinner served on time, the kids all taken care of, the house sparkling, all the while, with a smile pasted on my face...reality check ....that's unrealistic and propably won't happen in ur lifetime...

Wow Jewel, you're a pessimist. if you won't do those things for your man, what is it that you do for him or your kids?

Looks like you misunderstood the meaning of the partnership. A healthy household is one where you have everything you need. The mans job is to provide and your job is make it work. On the other hand if you're too lazy or too incompetant to maintain YOUR home when your man is out busting his a$$ to make sure there's more than dalac-bilaash on your pasta, then carry on with your excuses. "oooh why should I do this?" " ooh why can't you do that?".

And before y'all run off calling me chauvinistic mysoginist neanderthal...flex some of those reading and comprehension skills and try to see what I'm saying.

Miriam1   

healthy household is one where you have everything you need. The mans job is to provide and your job is make it work.

Umm Underdog what a simple view of life, so black and white..honestly love it....but ahh do I wish it was that easy for the countless somali women i meet during rush hour on the subway every week. On thier way either to work on a factory line or to clean offices.

And do u not think that the idea of the partnership can be modified according to the personalities of the people involved

What if I find a husband who enjoys cooking now!! icon_razz.gif

i hate these discussions and not because of the gender squabbles, but because everyone here talks about an ideal marriage, what you would do if/when you become a husband/wife. if you havent been married for the past 5 years, than dont talk about ideal marriages, how to keep up a marriage,or how your gonna work out your hypothetical problems cause everything you say is just fantasy and has no relevance.

oooh, and fyi underdog, more women would not only gladly take on the role as care taker for their family but would openly admit it here if men , like you, would stop referring to it as all womens kind purpose to live. now i know you didnt say that verbatum but thats the attitude were getting.

Jewel   

somalialien and jawahir have said exactly what i mean so underdog, quit the caves and come out of hibernation. In my marriage, i expect that my husband and I would work together on everything, whether its cooking, cleaning, working, because i don't plan to be a housewife, and whoever chooses that route, that's their choice.Just because my idea of a wife doesnt mean that i would be tied down to my apron all day, doesnt make me an unfit wife, so pls, again, u said it urself, i think calling u a chauvanist is an understatement.

Im amazed at ur narrowmindedness, u think somali women don't have hardships...many, while their hubbies work, still need to work cause his job doesnt cut it, unable to support the whole family, so the woman, burdened with the household chores already, like someone else pointed out, may sometimes have to take jobs that are undesirable, ie-cleaning offices.houses, and u dare look down on 'em. shame on u.

Baashi   

Baashi: Would love to see you do that, prove me wrong I mean but u should be aiming for Abu Dhabi not Mpls

Abu Dabi? Too expensive...altruism has its price cap smile.gif

Why don't we all listen carefully what Underdog has been saying? He is making an important point. I think he is from the school of hard-knocks. The same school from which I and countless nomads graduated and earned our high-priced diploma.

If I'm not mistaken the point is: the majority of nomads don't get intimidated by the lady's sheer intellect, her credentials, or for that matter her personal strength. Dating, shukaansi, akhris or hasaawe is a mutual social activity undertaken by two consenting adults. It is a selective and discriminatory process. In this case we should look the both sides of the coin - to be fair to our hommies tried here in absentia :D

Hibo the ones that u met and passed on ur judgement as a bunch of sissy boys easily intimidated by ur stature and strength might have other reason to right u off as a potential mate. Is there any chance that might be the case?

underdog   

Jewel, how I'm supposed to debate you on this or any topic if you choose personal attacks directed at me rather than intelligently formatting and presenting your point? That's weak. Try separating your intellect and your emotions, they make an ugly couple.

Jawahiir, If you and I don't see things in black and white now it's only a matter of time before the grey gets darker. Seems like we're all loosing sight of how things should be and are conforming to how things are. Can I plan ahead so that my wife doesn't have to wait in line for a subway to take her to that factory or off to clean offices in the middle of the night? Can I try to shield her from the stresses of a mediocre job that does no more than wear her down physically and mentally? There's MY black and white and I haven't given up on it.

A lot of you are under some kind of misguided impression that we (men) don't want to share this wonder life of blooming careers and financial success. Lets think about what we're asking for and what we're getting

It takes an extremely selfish and narrow minded individual to want another to sacrfice their entire education/skills/potential to serve them and only attend to their every whim. A sure sign of insecurity about their own potential.

Personally, I would never want a partner who did nothing but stay home and cook/clean. If nothing else, atleast a topic of discussion at dinner is likely if some1 has been out of the house...what would I talk to about some1 who has been home all day? da grocery? da food? or cleanin products?

I've a suggestion for those who want a woman who stays home and cooks/cleans/breeds - Get a girl from Somalia with no significant education, that way, you can feed your ego and feel you're needed...but remember the following.

* She would need ESL classes so she can distinguish da cheese from da butter and the meduim sized nappies from the small ones. Some technical knowledge to operate the home gadgets. Basic health education so she knows what food has high calories/cholesterol. An introduction into cleaning products (anti-bacterial to bleach)... etc...

^^ ooops! This should take a good few yrs after which it becomes education and encourages Xalimo to take advantage of all the opportunities available...n ur selfish arz is as good as gone 893giggle-thumb.gif