Sign in to follow this  
NASSIR

Somali women as observed by an English traveler

NASSIR   

This is an excerpt from his book, written in 1855, "First Footsteps In East Africa" I swear it giggled me because this is a well-known supposition that circulates in every Somali men's corner. Even old men would tell you that Somali women are attracted to strangers who could be Somali or non-Somali. I can't myself surmise reasons as to why their preference transpires in a such a way.

As a general rule Somali women prefer amourettes with strangers, following the well-known Arab proverb, “The new comer filleth the eye.†In cases of scandal, the woman’s tribe revenges its honour upon the man. Should a wife disappear with a fellow-clansman, and her husband accord divorce, no penal measures are taken, but she suffers in reputation, and her female friends do not spare her. Generally, the Somali women are of cold temperament, the result of artificial as well as natural causes: like the Kafirs, they are very prolific, but peculiarly bad mothers, neither loved nor respected by their children. The fair sex lasts longer in Eastern Africa than in India and Arabia: at thirty, however, charms are on the wane, and when old age comes on they are no exceptions to the hideous decrepitude of the East.

Link

Sky   

Daughters, as usual in Oriental countries, do not “count†as part of the family: they are, however, utilised by the father, who disposes of them to those who can increase his wealth and importance. Divorce is exceedingly common, for the men are liable to sudden fits of disgust.

Maybe this is what caused them to be so mental.

but peculiarly bad mothers, neither loved nor respected by their children.

Heres a posthumous reply to this puritan & Crank!:

I Love my mother[i Love you Hooyo Macaan],i respect my mother. Every somali loves & Respects his/her mother.

S.O.S   

Dear Brothers and sisters,

Richard Burton was disguesting pervert and a liar. :mad: He's totally wrong about our somali women, and many other things too he has written on Somalia, and on Zanzibar, on his exploration for the source of the Nile and on the Xijaaz in his hypocritical pilgrimage.

I cannot believe that you people refer to that man's comments, especially on our somali sisters, wifes, mothers and daughters. :confused:

For those who don't know it yet, our somali women are the best, they form the crucial socio-economic back-bone of our societies in Somalia and they are somewhat the only certainty in a chaotic, war-torne and disintegrated country. More should be done for their education, but other than that, no one has the right to utter any negative sentiments towards direction. smile.gif

Kruella   

Well Richard Burton got into a scuffle with a nomad warrior and he was left with a huge scar on his cheek for a reminder. Wouldn’t you be bitter too if you were humiliated like that? If one wants an account of the Somali people, one listens to our oral traditions, THAT is the reliable source. Looking for dear ole Burton for answers about our people and history is like asking a kafir about Islam.

Salam

Muhammad   

Originally posted by CAAMIR:

I just found this classic colonial literature too funny to share with someone else.

lol caamir,

more like classic colonial garbage ;)

well said bro Shams-ud-Din!!

Rahima   

^^^^^

I thought you left the website.Anyway nice to see you around.

Nope, still alive and kicking ;) . Likewise and hope you are doing well smile.gif .