baala xoofto

Somaliland

Tallaabo   
5 hours ago, baala xoofto said:

The thing is, anyone can make a claim without evidence backing what they are saying. The other day @maakhiri1claimed that Bay & Bakool are more prone to starvation because **according to him** these regions are the most densely populated. When I asked for evidence, he went AWOL. 

Come back with supporting evidence and in comparison to South Somalia's trade balance sheet. 

I go to Hargeisa every year and khat consumption is rampant. The trend might be going down now thanks to the relentless dacwa work of the religious community but addiction to that expensive drug is still a major economic, social, and public health problem. If people stop consuming it or the locals produced it in Somaliland, the money saved would have transformed the country beyond recognition. One thing which impressed me though is the very low consumption of cigarettes. A very small percentage of the public are smokers. 

2 hours ago, Tallaabo said:

I go to Hargeisa every year and khat consumption is rampant. The trend might be going down now thanks to the relentless dacwa work of the religious community but addiction to that expensive drug is still a major economic, social, and public health problem. If people stop consuming it or the locals produced it in Somaliland, the money saved would have transformed the country beyond recognition. One thing which impressed me though is the very low consumption of cigarettes. A very small percentage of the public are smokers. 

Khat is a Somali problem, whether they are in Djibouti, in Somaliland or Somalia. Or even Kenya, Ethiopia and North America/ Europe etc. 

There is no questions about it being a huge social and economic problem. That is not what @Abdi90is talking about. He is trying to make a case that South Somalia Khat consumption is lower - therefore it is not causing them an economic issue. Which I find ludicrous to say the least. When someone make a claim like that, I need evidence.  

Somaliland imports exclusively from Ethiopia and the dollar figure of this was last estimated to be around $200m dollars a year. 

Whereas for South Somalia, both Ethiopia and Kenya supply Khat to their market. I can't find hard data but reports from Kenya say that Kenya exported 220 million Kenyan Shillings of Khat to Mogadishu market, in the first four days when it resumed trade. That is close to 2m USD worth.

This obviously doesn't include Khat export to Puntland, Jubaland or South West. Also doesn't include Khat imported from Ethiopia. 

I am asking @Abdi90to provide supporting evidence to his claims. He brought his family to this debate. kkk 

If half of his family are Khat addicts, then I can say the other half are Alcoholics, as the majority of Alcoholics in my city are from South Somalia.

KENYANWALLSTREET.COM

Kenya's miraa exports to Somalia earned a whopping KSh221 million to Mogadishu in four days following the reopening of its border with Somalia.

Abdi90   

You are one sensitive fella arent you, if bringing whataboutism and irrelevant issues i dint say makes you feel better goe ahead, for it seems you live in som kind of denialist or utopian bubble about this issue which makes you easily triggered.

You are nothing but a troll. If you are going to make a claim, back it up. Otherwise S*T*F*U. :D 

You made the claim that Mogadishu was developing fast. 80% of money going around in Mogadishu's economy is slush-funds and corruption. Think about what happened to the 10m USD Cash that the UAE donated to the Droughts? 6 months on, no one knows where it ended up. I can tell you where it went, it went in the back pockets. 

Abdi90   

"You made the claim that Mogadishu was developing fast"

Again why do you need to misquote me? do you have comprehension problem or your mind likes to read in things people didnt say because you are insecure man obsessed with politics?

galbeedi   
17 hours ago, Tallaabo said:

I go to Hargeisa every year and khat consumption is rampant

Qatt consumption is mainly  a Somaliland/Djibout problem , espeially in diaspora. There are few southerners here and there. Here in my town,  in North America, both the Djiboutian community and those fro Somaliland have their own exclusive Majilises just for Qat session. Those from Togdheer and Awdal, especially middle aged guys,  consume the most. 

I haven't seen any respectable Southern Somali eating Qat. Thoe who eat mostly live at the  inthe edges of society, while even proffessional Somalilanders eat Qat weekends regularly. The good news is almost all the new young generation of Landers do not eat Qat.

Abdi90   
14 hours ago, galbeedi said:

Qatt consumption is mainly  a Somaliland/Djibout problem , espeially in diaspora. There are few southerners here and there. Here in my town,  in North America, both the Djiboutian community and those fro Somaliland have their own exclusive Majilises just for Qat session. Those from Togdheer and Awdal, especially middle aged guys,  consume the most. 

I haven't seen any respectable Southern Somali eating Qat. Thoe who eat mostly live at the  inthe edges of society, while even proffessional Somalilanders eat Qat weekends regularly. The good news is almost all the new young generation of Landers do not eat Qat.

Are you sure the others dont have instead alcohol majilises/sessions? im just using (BAALA XOOFTO) baby cry 😥 outburst he used on me after i only mentioned my personal observation from my Somaliland side of the family(without ill intention). Some people are so die hard nationalist that they will fight/outburst on/att anything even if its true " only to some degree".

galbeedi   
5 hours ago, Abdi90 said:

Are you sure the others dont have instead alcohol majilises/sessions? im just using

To be fair , I didn't read the debate about development in the last page between you and Baala Xoofto. I was just reacting on what signor Tallaabo said about Qat and others.

On the issue of Alcohol Majlis, It is hard to say .

One thing I can atteat is that the new generation of Somali refugees coming in trhe west these days do not chew Qat that much whether they are from north or south. AS we all know, the country became very conservative in terms religeon. 

Certainly they chew Qat in Mogadishu, KIsmaayo and other places in the south just like in the north. The biggest deference is in the north the elite chew Qat regualrly and its a national past time. They use big villas and luxury style setting with everyone having his own thermos of tea , water, posh pillows and so forth. 

I don't blame them. There are no local sports  teams  to watch, parks to walk or any other actvity to do. Even office work is between 8:00 Am to !2:00 and then what? Go to the hotels sit there , pray Duhur and rece back to the Majlis. 

How about the TV in the evenining  for families to watch? nothing , but news and tasteless broadcast.

There is nothing but politics and clan debate. There is no imagination or creativity anymore. Hargeisa used to be the capital of  Somali folklore, playwrights and entertainment. It is all dead thanks to Muuse and company.

For Qat to disapear, there should  be something else for people to replace, like long hours of work, home entertainment, and parks to relax.

6 hours ago, Abdi90 said:

Are you sure the others dont have instead alcohol majilises/sessions? im just using (BAALA XOOFTO) baby cry 😥 outburst he used on me after i only mentioned my personal observation from my Somaliland side of the family(without ill intention). Some people are so die hard nationalist that they will fight/outburst on/att anything even if its true " only to some degree".

You've made an argument regarding Mogadishu's pace of development vs Hargeisa and you claimed what is holding back Hargeisa is the import of Khat. 

Regardless of Galbeedi argument of North Elite vs Southern fringes. That still doesn't save South any less hard-currency than Hargeisa's.  In fact, Hargeisa gets its fix on trucks, whereas South Somalia get their fix via Expensive Air Cargo. 

In terms of dollar figure, both Hargeisa and Mogadishu spend substantial amount of hard-currency to import Khat from Ethiopia and Kenya respectively. Both the Hararge farmers in Ethiopia and the Meru County farmers in Kenya are making heaps of money. 

So the question is, what makes the hard-currency that Hararge Farmers get more pronounced and counted vs Meru Farmers?

1 hour ago, galbeedi said:

On the issue of Alcohol Majlis, It is hard to say

A sizeable number of South Somalia Elite are alcoholics. Both the last two Foreign Affairs Ministers in Mogadishu are alcoholics. The former Police Chief in Mogadishu was alcoholic. 

But I am not making any argument saying the unrest and instability in South Somalia is caused by alcoholic leaders. 

galbeedi   
2 hours ago, baala xoofto said:

An integrated maritime, logistics and industrial hub in the horn of Africa.

Cargo business is could be lucrative without going to Dubai. The Emerites, do not produce goods or have factories. Logistics and Cargo companies could take freight from Berbera port  directly to South Sudan, Uganda and Rwanda. THere is an opportunity.

4 hours ago, baala xoofto said:

A sizeable number of South Somalia Elite are alcoholics. Both the last two Foreign Affairs Ministers in Mogadishu are alcoholics. The former Police Chief in Mogadishu was alcoholic. 

That is true and sad. 

At least in Somaliland, both under Ahmed Siilaanyo and Muuse Biixi cabinet, all ministers are people who pray five times a day. You will not find any minister drinking Alcohol in Hargeisa. It is no no. Sheikh Aadan Seero or other Imams will use their Jumma Qutbah and there is no where to hide.

There were some drinking governors during Ahmed  Siilaanyo regime, but Muuse eliminated them all. In fact, While Muuse Biixi is greedy in terms money, he is very strit on vices like alcohol. The last governor of Awdal used to drink and the local Imams cried faul and he was replaced very quickly.

9 hours ago, galbeedi said:

Cargo business is could be lucrative without going to Dubai.

You have to start from somewhere. Yes, South Sudan as well as further land-locked Africa is on the radar. 

The plan is to make Berbera the one-stop-shop where everything can be found, from toys, to electronics to cars, shoes, clothing etc. Because it tax & duty free, it will attract any company that wants to establish a foothold in East/Central and Northern Africa markets. 

It will take at least 10 - 15 years to realise that dream but every journey starts with one step at a time.  

9 hours ago, galbeedi said:

That is true and sad. 

True. But you will never see any Somalilander come here or anywhere and make a point of this fact. Because in the end, when you are not clean yourself, then you have no right to say anything about someone else. Somali of all regions have serious social ills, full stop. And it is all of Somali people that need to address it, sooner rather than later. 

As Somaliland gears towards drilling its first commercial Oil Well near War-idaad village. There is high hopes that finally Somaliland will break the shackles of poverty and chart her own destiny. 

Iraqi Kurdistan was very much like Somaliland back in the early 2000s. No development, high unemployment and dependent on hand outs from others. 

Today, Iraqi Kurdistan is self-sustaining entity with highly developed health, manufacturing and other infrastructure. They are land-locked and air-locked, which are two disadvantages that Somaliland hasn't. 

56e6348a1ea9edb5fb0ead139f2d2c1b--kurdistan.jpg.7da0cd75445d762d71ce537996c05100.jpg

Today

194559250_1656860746AnurbanareainKurdistanRegionscapitalErbil.(PhotoKurdistan24).jpg.b52bd4df335d6986186288870d4e0ca4.jpg