baala xoofto

Somaliland

Ethiopia's shipping line which was used by Salma Group has hailed this as one of the biggest shipments todate. 

image.png.48d6af9855a2c2ae5bdf6524d9c9f22c.png

“Last week, Jigjiga docked at the Berbera Port with 758 Somaliland’s containerized cargos, which is a very huge consignment...,” Roba explained.

WWW.CAPITALETHIOPIA.COM

The Ethiopian Shipping and Logistics Services Enterprise (ESLSE) vessel sets a new record on containerized cargo shipment to Berbera Port. It is recalled that ESLSE’s vessels commenced regular scheduled...

Somaliland Foreign Affairs minister along with Foreign Affairs Minister of The Gambia joined the King Mswati III of Eswatini Kingdom. 

Somaliland and Eswatini will soon be establishing official diplomatic relationship. 

Fchk1U8WYAAOFGK?format=jpg&name=large

This is an excellent news for Somaliland's businesses and domestic households. Currently, Electricity costs around 60cents per KWh. When in Ethiopia it costs 6 cents per KWh. 

-------------

Tayo Energy Transmission Company (TETCO) LTD

He added that the creation of the company is to handle the project for transmission line and other related parts with an estimated cost around USD 200 million that will be covered by the private sector, Somaliland government and international stakeholders. However, he did not disclose who the international partners will be.

WWW.CAPITALETHIOPIA.COM

Energy utility providers in Somaliland and their government form a special purpose vehicle (SPV) as per the Ethiopian Electric Power (EEP) recommendation in order to realize interconnection to access cheap...

Nothing summarises Somaliland's recent history than the Hargeisa Airport. 

Here I will capture some pictures which show each of the periods that Somaliland went through, from British Somaliland Protectorate, to the failed Union, to the newly found state and the current state of affairs.

Hargeisa Airport in British Somaliland, 1950s.

image.png.50a683b936aa36798099474ba2674ebc.png

image.png.77da30d605b48bbf7b97f020704d3e46.png

1960 - 1991 - The lost years and lost hope.

Hargeisa Airport during the failed Union with Somalia. Photo taken in 1989 with Rhodesian mercenaries that were hired to destroy the city of Hargeisa, in the background a derelict building. 

image.png.d68942be7ce1dd40f2d22c9ec4e561bc.png

Renewed hope, mid 1990s

image.png.9a58696a03de7b03a3cab0ff68b72824.png

President Dahir Rayaale added a new departure terminal in 2005

image.png.3e6ec7ba7ced72d30d4114c0ca0f82dc.png

President Siilaanyo added new Arrival terminal and facelifted Dahir Rayaale's building in 2014.

image.png.a676cb28ae097f8371fe98cf485145ce.png

Future

Hargeisa needs a new and modern Airport, which includes its historic buildings intact but modernised and centralised. 

image.png.8cd681bb11705b6277833f31e7c6169e.png 

Tallaabo   
54 minutes ago, baala xoofto said:

Nothing summarises Somaliland's recent history than the Hargeisa Airport. 

Here I will capture some pictures which show each of the periods that Somaliland went through, from British Somaliland Protectorate, to the failed Union, to the newly found state and the current state of affairs.

Hargeisa Airport in British Somaliland, 1950s.

image.png.50a683b936aa36798099474ba2674ebc.png

image.png.77da30d605b48bbf7b97f020704d3e46.png

1960 - 1991 - The lost years and lost hope.

Hargeisa Airport during the failed Union with Somalia. Photo taken in 1989 with Rhodesian mercenaries that were hired to destroy the city of Hargeisa, in the background a derelict building. 

image.png.d68942be7ce1dd40f2d22c9ec4e561bc.png

Renewed hope, mid 1990s

image.png.9a58696a03de7b03a3cab0ff68b72824.png

President Dahir Rayaale added a new departure terminal in 2005

image.png.3e6ec7ba7ced72d30d4114c0ca0f82dc.png

President Siilaanyo added new Arrival terminal and facelifted Dahir Rayaale's building in 2014.

image.png.a676cb28ae097f8371fe98cf485145ce.png

Future

Hargeisa needs a new and modern Airport, which includes its historic buildings intact but modernised and centralised. 

image.png.8cd681bb11705b6277833f31e7c6169e.png 

The only thing which changed after all those decades is the technology, from black and white photography to the digital. Other than that, the Hargeisa airport is a sad reflection of Somaliland's stagnation and the serious lack of vision and competence of its successive leadership. By comparison, in the same period, the world changed beyond recognition. Economic and military super powers emerged and now those who succeeded are planning for their next phase of progress by setting their sights on Mars and beyond. 

This is Dubai Airport in 1950s, which was commissioned just before Hargeisa's Airport.

You can see each decade the changing face and progress. 

Whereas for Hargeisa, comparing 1980s and 1950s. I would choose 1950s hands down. It is one measurement of how disastrous the Union of 1960s was to Somaliland. 

Dubai 1950s

image.png.c22a1cebe031f32aad2cf4330fc9f76f.png

After Independence 1970s,

image.png.ab26325f7e72e45b17aefab7f892e52a.png

1980s,

image.png.e80c8b51ae08cbc0995b1bb774a2012a.png

Today

image.png.2b5eefa9cfad87d8e99e21c39f861090.png

Somaliland is assuming its leadership in religious and Islamic learning. Back in the medieval years, the centre of the Islamic teaching was the town of Sheikh where the revered Dariqa Islamic madarasah were based. Other notable religious places include Aw Barkhadleh which was the base for the Somali scholar Sheikh Yousuf AlKawnayn.

Sheikh Yousuf AlKawnayn is credited for Somalisation of the Arabic Hijaiyah (Fat-ha, Kesrah, Dummah ..) into Somali words "Alif La Kor*****, Alif La Hoos *****, Ali Laa Gooday" and also the Somalisation of many other Islamic teachings into everyday Somali. 

Halkuu Xaajigii Xamaanta dhigtayiyo, 

Xajj keenu xidhinta weeyaan.

Today Hargeisa is reviving that old tradition of being the centre of learning, teaching and advancing Islamic studies. 

Abdi90   

Their is not much prospect for Hargeysa to develop in same pace as ex:Muqdisho until they get rid/curb the khat trade/usage that is causing huge trade imbalance by sucking the valuable cash(USD) out of the country.

One side of my family(father/mother) is from south and one from north, all my close male relatives except one from north eat khat and non from my south side eat khat. I once asked my northern cousin how much he spends on khat every month and my mind was blown away.

8 hours ago, Abdi90 said:

Their is not much prospect for Hargeysa to develop in same pace as ex:Muqdisho until they get rid/curb the khat trade/usage that is causing huge trade imbalance by sucking the valuable cash(USD) out of the country.

One side of my family(father/mother) is from south and one from north, all my close male relatives except one from north eat khat and non from my south side eat khat. I once asked my northern cousin how much he spends on khat every month and my mind was blown away.

The thing is, anyone can make a claim without evidence backing what they are saying. The other day @maakhiri1claimed that Bay & Bakool are more prone to starvation because **according to him** these regions are the most densely populated. When I asked for evidence, he went AWOL. 

Come back with supporting evidence and in comparison to South Somalia's trade balance sheet. 

Ship carrying almost 30,000 tons of Wheat from Ukraine has docked in Berbera. This shipment is owned by Al-Waddaniya Flour Mill, one of two flour mills in Somaliland.