Sign in to follow this  
mz-alpha-soup

Women should be educated but...

Curly

Sis,Lets Not make a circular argument that might waste our precious Little time.

Your straw argument is abvious and can be easily detected but that is not what i want to address it right now.

You can stay single as much as you like and work till the age of spinsterhood for all i care.As i have previously stated i am not here to tell people how to live their lives.

so,I would gladly appreciate if you can shed some light of what you mean by roles? Thannks.

Curly   

So let me get this right you opposed a statement you didn't even fully understand...Mmh interesting.

What is roles you say? Would you like the word defined or the context? Never mind let me define both for you to avoid any further misunderstanding as you're so big on those. The word role are the functions, actions and activities assigned to or required or expected of a person or group. In this case the context is women's role in the Somali community. Now having cleared that up do you still believe that we're all born into a role that we are expected to fill? and who expects this?

Islam ultimately gives us choice and in Islam the tasks performed by a woman looking after her family is described as an act of charity rather than a duty.

As for the cultural view of woman's role? I say BAAH!

ElPunto   

Curly this defensive posture of yours is not doing this discussion any good. I made no claims on choice - I think as mentioned here - some woman would rather work because of non-monetary reasons such as accomplishment, satisfaction etc. And that's fine. What I did question was this mantra of a household with children can't survive unless both parents are working ie. I need to work otherwise the world will end as we know it.

As to your myriad off-topic complaints:

1- Somali mothers wanting more or whatever for their child is fine. But I think as most intelligent people will accept time spent with your child is another valuable commodity. All the money in the world can't make up for quality time with your child. You have to try to make the most appropriate tradeoffs for you and your family here.

2- Please leave people who take benefits alone. They are not a generic group. Those who do deserve criticism are those who are fairly young, know the language and have been in the country for a long time but still take benefits. A middle-aged man or woman recently arrived from Somalia who decides to focus on his/her children(and take benefits) instead of a low-paying dead-end job has made the right choice in my opinion.

3- I didn't look down on anyone. And all the recent headlines regarding Somalis don't matter a hoot. I don't make my decisions on what society thinks of my countrymen nor do I suspect you do.

Originally posted by Curly:

So let me get this right you opposed a statement you didn't even fully understand...Mmh interesting.

What is roles you say? Would you like the word defined or the context? Never mind let me define both for you to avoid any further misunderstanding as you're so big on those. The word role are the functions, actions and activities assigned to or required or expected of a person or group. In this case the context is women's role in the Somali community. Now having cleared that up do you still believe that we're all born into a role that we are expected to fill? and who expects this?

Islam ultimately gives us choice and in Islam the tasks performed by a woman looking after her family is described as an act of charity rather than a duty.

As for the cultural view of woman's role? I say BAAH!

No,The Question simply stems from the fact that it can be misinterpreted differently.

However,No need to call names to score some silly cheap shots.lol

As an illustration and make the point home let me say that My role as student is Temporary but not permament likewise my role as a dear brother,caring husband and loving father is a permament role which i have to fill for the rest of my life as i grow.

Man and women have different roles which they have to play and no one refutes that fact except radical feminists whose attempt for genderless society backfired but sadly still continues to wreak havoc on the young generation today.

It is simple,A MAN Is a father,The Primary bread winner and protector of the family,WOMAN nurtures and takes cares of the kids and home.

It is also important to note that femininity(the qualities and behaviors related to females) Are completely opposite to masculinity thus they are different in roles and in tastes. :D

If someone wants to find a hubby to breastfeed their children and stay at home then i gladly suggest they go for sissies.

One more thing,what is cool about maamo goes to work and aabo goes to work (Like a competition lol)and the children are left at the mercy of predators? such is sad the status of many of our society to day,No wonder high divorce rates and single moms are rampant in the community.

Our calture defines what we are and i am proud of my calture .

Curly   

Originally posted by Eng.Cadde:

No need to call names to score some silly cheap shots.lol

Err...When did I name call? I've looked back and I don't see it...beats me!

It is simple,A MAN Is a father,The Primary bread winner and protector of the family,WOMAN nurtures and takes cares of the kids and home.

It is also important to note that femininity(the qualities and behaviors related to females) Are completely opposite to masculinity thus they are different in roles and in tastes.
:D

You know what Eng I've yet to see the Somali community take on those roles, as discussed in pervious threads it seems that the average Somali man in the UK has made his role redundant thanks to the welfare state and will often completely check out on most of... if not all his responsibilities.

If someone wants to find a hubby to breastfeed their children and stay at home then i gladly suggest they go for sissies.

So you think men who take an active role in parenting are sissies...interesting! BTW who said anything about a man staying a home, why does it have to be one of the other?

One more thing,what is cool about maamo goes to work and aabo goes to work (Like a competition lol)and the children are left at the mercy of predators? such is sad the status of many of our society to day, No wonder high divorce rates and single moms are rampant in the community. Our calture defines what we are and i am proud of my calture.

That's funny that you can blame high divorce rates on there being a...how did you put it a "competition" in regards to work? HA! the majority of single mothers I've met where in that predicament because the husband in nearly all cases failed to support the family both financially, physically and emotionally, maybe if those men worked at all their wouldn't be such a high divorce rate.

I think my religion and morals defines who and what I am.

@Curly,

Must you confuse them even more with pushing for genderless society"! Stay home woman(perfect your cooking, paint your nails, practice soothing voices, in fact, watch Martha Steward re-runs on your spare time, For God's sake familiarize yourself with your role as a woman!)or, or you'll become* Eerie music playing* (gasp!)a SPINSTER!

Curly   

lol choco, I'd sooner be a spinster than married to a man who would expect any of the above from me. :D

Anyways, these boys need to wake up!

Mz-Alpha Soup - go do what you gotta do...but why come here and tell us? Are you trying to convince yourself that's what you want or ...?

As Rhianna so eloquently says:

So live your life, ay ay ay.

Instead of chasing that paper.

Just live your life (Oh!), ay ay ay.

Ain’t got no time for no haters.

Just live your life (Oh!), ay ay ay.

I think women should have the opportunity to study and be educated but women need a define their own standard and create a bench-mark with which to judge themselves against men. women have a different purpose to men and for this reason should fulfil their natural and biological role as mothers and wives.

Cara.   

This is fun!

"One should be kind to one's parents but..."

"You shouldn't throw babies into a lava pit but..."

"It's wrong to set your teacher's hair on fire but..."