Sign in to follow this  
Rokko

Somali teen convicted of raping girlfriend

Rokko   

Thought you guys might be interested readin this.

RANGELEY, Maine - When he led this resort town's overwhelmingly white high school to a conference soccer championship last year, Abdalahi Shakur Abdi appeared to be living the American dream.

That dream became a nightmare of multiple rape charges a year later, culminating in the teenage Somali refugee's guilty plea to a lesser felony count of unlawful sexual contact and five months in jail.

His case raised questions about how an isolated community reacts to issues involving race, sex and crime. It left residents divided as to whether Abdi brought the nightmare on himself or was the naive victim of a teenage girl seeking vengeance against the boyfriend who left her.

Andrew Robinson, the Franklin County prosecutor, said the case was the most bizarre he has ever handled.

"You charge him with rape, and it's, 'Let's make him mayor,' " Robinson told the Boston Globe. "I'd never heard that."

Abdi's soccer coach said the allegations that Abdi raped his white live-in girlfriend throughout the summer of 2002 were astounding.

"Nobody could believe it," said the coach, Tom Danforth.

Abdi drew support from the high school's 2003 senior class, which broke into prolonged applause when his photograph was shown in a video presentation during graduation ceremonies. Abdi was behind bars at the time as his friends tried unsuccessfully to raise $5,000 bail.

Robinson said Abdi's teenage accuser was vindicated when Abdi pleaded guilty to the reduced charge, which requires that he register as a sexual offender for the rest of his life.

Abdi said he accepted the plea bargain because of his lawyer's pessimistic view of the case and the probability of deportation if convicted of three counts of rape. Abdi was sentenced in September to time served in jail and two years' probation.

Efforts to contact his former girlfriend and her family were unsuccessful.

Abdi said the unspoken force of post-Sept. 11, 2001, attitudes toward Muslims worked against him. "I feel like they judged me without getting to know me because of who I am, because of where I came from," said Abdi, who had moved to Rangeley from the Somali refugee community in Lewiston.

Fred Jones, a Bangor social worker who advocated for Abdi, said the court-appointed defense counsel argued against fighting the rape charges at trial. Jones said the lawyer, Thomas Dean of Farmington, told him, in effect, that "we can't win against a white girl in the state of Maine."

Dean's law office said the lawyer would not comment.

Robinson said he is amazed at the "blind support" for Abdi in what he called "a classic sexual-assault case."

"When you hear folks say we were railroading him, what we were doing was simply looking at the evidence," Robinson said. "What do you do when you have a victim who tells you she's been raped all summer long?"

The Rangeley teenager told police that Abdi had raped her 20 times in the spring and summer of 2002, that he struck her in the presence of witnesses, that he threatened her with a tire iron, and that he was verbally abusive.

A Rangeley teenage boy told authorities he saw Abdi shove the woman against a car door, scream that in Somalia he "would have killed her," and order her to "get in the (expletive) house and cook him some damn food."

Now 19, Abdi lives in a shabby one-room apartment in Bangor, clothes strewn about the floor. He has no job, nor the ready prospect of one.

"I don't have a plan," Abdi said. "It's the same old, same old. I just basically get up in the morning and watch TV."

Abdi said he now rarely mingles in public. "I feel like somebody will just accuse me of something again," Abdi said.

But Robinson maintains that neither Abdi's race nor his religion played any role in the legal process.

"He has fared about 1,000 times better than many people who have been charged with gross sexual assault," the prosecutor said.

Macalin   

A Rangeley teenage boy told authorities he saw Abdi shove the woman against a car door, scream that in Somalia he "would have killed her," and order her to "get in the (expletive) house and cook him some damn food.

---------

Where does he think he IS?

Well now he has learnt his damned lesson dint he??

Thncs Mob

Blessed   

Originally posted by Lakkad:

Where does he think he IS?

Well now he has learnt his damned lesson dint he??

Thncs Mob

lol. I was wondering that too. Well, anyways, if cases like this is gonna stop them acting like right lil fidiqos (the boys of somalia) than so be it...!!

Rokko   

Originally posted by Mahadhsade:

30 yrs old came here as a teen.The problem is the sponsor age is misleading these niggas and they play around with these horny-white girls thinking they are teens and can get away with it. Let them pay the price.

LOL and I think the guy thought he's a celebrity in town and considered himself as the man not realizing being black/African/somali and Muslim na'mean. The law obeying bro/sisters are getting into trouble imagine when u mess with their daughters.

Gediid   

Come on guys,you just can't but help feel sorry for him.Anyways read between the lines,the girl claims to have been raped throughout the summer when she was LIVING with the poor guy.Now how can this be rape when bahalka baas eey habeen kasta la soo hor joogto.

This is obviously another case of a disgruntled white chick out to ruin this poor guy's life which if I may add she succeeded in doing since he has been labeled a sex offender for life.

:mad: :mad:

Baashi   

Don't fool around to begin with.

Originally posted by Gediid:

Now how can this be rape when bahalka baas eey habeen kasta la soo hor joogto.

:mad: :mad:

Ahem! I don't know about this Gediid :D . "la hor joogto" ! is that all u need to get rough with them ladies :D As a cyber friend and fellow nomad I refer to u 'Sexual Harrasment 101' orientation...No means NO even if u get ur leg in the door... :D let alone hor joogsi.

Waar xaal waa sidee Gediid maanta...u have gone from sexist to sadist :D .

Now how can this be rape when bahalka baas eey habeen kasta la soo hor joogto

Bahalka baas? :eek: Gediid... xaal soo soco walaal...or retract that sentence immediately :mad:

x_quizit   

I do not an ounce of sympathy for him. For him to live with a girl and obviously have sex with her, which im sure was what both parties wanted since she said it went all summer long, and still claim that he is muslim, really makes me mad. He's a disgrace to real muslims everywhere because to have sex b4 marriage for both sexes, is unislamic. Now, he's boohoo-ing that ppl are picking on him because of race or religion, pls, id advise that ***** not to drag islam into his sordid affairs. He chose to act like a non-believer, well, that wouldnt have happened if he followed the religion he said he was a part of. That will teach him a lesson! Good for him...i dont care if he has to register as a sex offender, that's the least of his worries when he goes b4 God. He's lucky he didn't contract aids, moron.

cheers!

Gediid   

Baashi

You are following me around with a fine tooth comb saaxiib.I know its Xmas ,the time of year odeyasha shaqado slow ku noqoto and boring but as they say here in America its a season for giving and compassion....Markaas Baashi feel the moment and leave that electronic microscope you following me around with behind..... icon_razz.gif

Athena

Dont you think in all sense yarki bahal baas buu ku noqtey if his whole world turned tupsy turvy.....

Qac Qaac   

first of all the problem is teen age thing, u older than 15 u r judged a man in islamic low,

second of all, as xquizit said, he played around with the religion thinking he is a teen age.

now if i take the Gadeed thing, read between the lines, where is the boy's family, where is the somali community in this. also it could true that the white girl maybe wants to get revenge on him. hey it is cadaan lows that built america.

p.s. i guess, if we leave the religion, will have every disease they have in the long run, and now we are starting to show the symptoms.

this smells like hommie was framed! and rail-road

down the track! common, yall, we all know that a women use this trick all de freaking time! is some one gonna tell that he put a gun on her head to come into his apt!! hell no! she got what she wanned and more! believe this, her parent found out that she was with nigga and wanned revenge!! otherwise, this chick would thrown the towel on the first time!!

i remember in college, one thx-giving, we were all chilling in de dorm having good ole jolly time, when this gal came and started sweet talking to my room mate (asian) and neighbor (white) who was a baseball player, some lil hick from some small town! i suggested to both guys to forget about her since she was a trouble maker! guess what the hick didnt listen, and the last time, i saw him, he was climbing her window!

next thang, campus police was halling his butt to jail! and guess what was the whole problem was! her boy friend was breaking up with her! and she needed lil sneaky way to get him back! true story yall! i told the police that she invited him and had no clue what happen next! poor hick was in jail from thur nite to monday morning! cuz everybody is on holiday when turkey day comes! yo, take it from me, u dont wanna end in downtown LA holding for that long!!

hommie needs a good lawyer like johnny cochran! walaahi!

Haneefah   

how can this be rape when bahalka baas eey habeen kasta la soo hor joogto.

:eek: :eek: This trully shows the sadistic mentality of some Somali men and how they view women. "oh if a woman is in front of you looking all good then feel free to rape the heck outta her because she's asking for it" :( :mad:

And for goodness sake, could you not come up with a better way of wording this than "bahalka baas" ?? Akhas caleek, very shameful walaahil cadiim. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This is extremely offensive to women and should be deleted by the admin.

As for the boy, I wouldn't be surprised if he really did it...after all, we have ppl thinking like this among us...wanacuudu bilaah.