Sign in to follow this  
Hibo

Cooking for that special nite!!!

nuune   
hibo,can u believe this;i have cooked and tried all the meals and ingredients u provided,it was a nice try for me,because i only know hoiw to cook a cup of tea,nothing else,but now iam a big CHEF,amiin

lol   

Nuune: I am really happy to know that it worked out fine for you... Keep trying I am sure you will perfect them soon....

Today its Somali dish called, " MOOS BUKEENI "

Ingredients:

1 kg plantain bananas

3 cups sugar

1 regular can coconut milk

3 table spoons of ghee

1 table spoon salt

preparation:

Slice the bananas. Make four of each plantain. Now put them in a cooking pot and fill it with water till it covers the whole of plantains..

Now add all the ingredients. Cook it till on a low flames for 1 hr..or till it has swallowed all the water. Don't mix or turn the bananas. It will crush.

Now place them on a plate and serve.

It goes best with Mandazi or Bur. Which ever u know....

Me I love it by itself....ymmm

Bon Apetite`

Xafsa   

Hibo ..girl mankato really misses your cooking!!

You know they actually had to hire a cook for somali culture day during pan african week?!!

I'm gonna try that moos bukeeni...i'll let you know how it goes.

peace and luv

Haneefah   

Hibo, I have tried nonbaked cheesecake before but it just doesn't set nicely as the baked one...and i'm obsessed with decorating desserts so if I can't get that perfect cut I won't make it. but it's tasty.

Just a little tip with the creme caramel...instead of plain milk you can use canned carnation milk...gives it really tasty creamy touch.

Hey, I wanna try the reer xamar sweets...do you have the recipes of qumbe and that fried thing they make with forks or combs..don't really know

lol   

Xafsa: SHAME SHAME SHAME on MSU. Given the fact that majority of the Africans on campus are Somalis yet none could cook for display of their culture?? None that is a SAD STORY. SHAME SHAME.. Now since you have moved to Mpls who is running my SSA?

Nafisa:

Thnx for the tip for the caramel, actually I use many different kinds of milk but just to make it easy for the sisters/brothers here I said milk ;)

As for the reer xamar sweets.. its quite easy

Qumbe: Just beat one egg,1 cup milk, 1 cup sugar and 3 cups coconut flakes. Now pour the whole thing in a baking tray and bake it in 350 degree. Till its all hard and set. Then you can cut as you please...

As for the Shushumow which I assume u were referring to as using forks... well if you know how to make sambusa wraps than its easy.

Make the sambusa dough...now fidi or roll it and then make your own designs or cuts. Then deep fry them till golden. after frying the whole thing.

IN a large cooking pot add 1/3 cup of water and 2 cups sugar. Then heat it for 2 mins. Add the fried pieces and toss them till all of them are glazed.....

Bon Apetite`

Khayr   

Salaamz,

Anyone know how to cook King Fish.

I have the following ingredients/spices/xawaash:

-Oregano

-Garlic

-Calintro/Corrinder

-Sage

-Basil

-Lemon

-Tandori

-Yellow Hot peppers

(Do you use bread crumbs or Soya Sauce for the King Fish?)

Need help cause I have never cooked it before.

Do you mariante (with what?) and how long?

Fi Amanallah

VANILLA ICE CREAM

Favourite homemade dessert. So simple

Ingredients:

- 1 cup of milk

- teaspoon of vanilla

- 1/2 tablespoons of sugar

- 1/2 tablespoons of salt

- 2 ziplock bags ( 1 small, and 1 large)

- ice cubes (2 ice-cube trays)

In small bag mix milk, vanilla, and sugar. Seal it closed.

In large bag add ice cubes to half of the bag, and put the salt in and mix with the ice. Put the small bag in the large bag. Seal the large bag closed. Shake or rub bags together, until mixture in small bag has the same consistency as ice cream

Put in a cup, and add favourite topping. ENJOY!!!

try me thats a nice one let me put ma word and idea right here.

Why not let someone you love sleep in one morning? Help that special someone start the day right with breakfast in bed. Here are some easy recipes for a fast, delicious morning meal. Serve these favorites with orange juice and coffee—and don't forget a rose to grace the breakfast tray!

ok here is ma delicious food: cinnamon roll french toast You'll love this sweet treat. Buy ready-made cinnamon rolls at the grocery store or bakery; if you choose to make your own, add 2 hours for preparation time.

ic everone trying to lick their fingers huh ok here is the Ingredients:

4 large cinnamon rolls

3 large eggs

2 tablespoons milk

1 tablespoon vanilla

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Non-stick cooking spray.

Preparation: mmmh yummy huh ok let keep going

Slice cinnamon rolls in half lengthwise; set aside.

Crack eggs into a large bowl.

Add milk, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg to eggs; beat well.

Drench each cinnamon roll in egg batter.

Put non-stick cooking spray in skillet; heat on medium-high.

Brown cinnamon roll halves in skillet, turning once.

Serve with maple syrup, jam or powdered sugar.

ooooow yummmy and delicious huh ok that my breakfast special and if ya want i can still make ya malawax or anjera i still know how to make that.

and also i have swahili recipe and i would love to share it.

ok guyz who ever know what biriani is here is how i make my special food and i only make these food on fridayz.

What you need:

one unripe papaya; peeled, seeded, and grated

two cloves garlic, minced

one teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and crushed

two to three pounds of meat (mutton, beef, goat, or chicken), cut into serving-sized pieces

two cups buttermilk or plain yogurt

juice of two limes

oil for frying

four to six onions, sliced

four to six potatoes, sliced

Spices

one-half teaspoon ground cardamom

four whole cloves (these are "cloves" not "cloves of garlic")

one small cinnamon stick (or a quarter teaspoon ground cinnamon)

one-half teaspoon cumin seed (or a quarter teaspoon ground cumin)

one-half teaspoon coriander seed (or a quarter teaspoon ground coriander)

one-half teaspoon whole black peppercorns (or a quarter teaspoon ground pepper)

a few pinches of salt

two or three ripe tomatoes, chopped

small can tomato paste

three or four cups of rice

What you do:

Grind together the papaya, garlic, and ginger, mixing them into a paste. Place the mixture into a large pot and add the meat, buttermilk (or yogurt), and lime juice. Cover and begin to cook over a low heat, stirring regularly.

Heat oil in a large skillet. Fry the onions in hot oil. When onions are browned, remove them from the skillet and set aside. Fry the potatoes in the same oil. When browned, remove the potatoes and set them aside. Keep oil in skillet.

Grind together all the spices (or whichever ones you have) and add them to the meat mixture. Stir. Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, and a few spoonfuls of oil from the skillet. Stir and continue to cook over low heat. Add warm water if sauce becomes to thick.

Cook rice in the usual way. (One part rice to two parts water, with a little of the oil from the skillet.) The meat should be done by the time the rice is cooked. Pre-heat oven to medium heat.

Line the edges of a large baking dish with the fried potatoes (save some of the potatoes for the top). Cover the bottom of the baking dish with a third of the cooked rice. Pour most of the meat mixture over the rice. (Save some of the meat mixture, keep it warm, and serve it with the biriani at the table.) Carefully cover the meat with a second layer of rice. Place the onions (but save a few onions for the top) over the second layer of rice. Cover the onions with the third layer of rice. Place the remaining potatoes and onions on the top. Bake this in a medium oven for twenty to thirty minutes.

so my sujuu people i know by now you are busy trying to lick them fingers of yours.

lol   

Hey.. it has been a yr now... since we last saw this thread... that is really cool

Shabelle... that is a cool way to make one.. how about I tell you another way to make vanilla ice cream... or wait.. let me try yours if yours is better I will not bother if mine is better.. I shall indulge u with the tips ;)

Queen: I can already taste it.. from here.. by the way since u r suju.. how about u refresh my mind and tell me about that sauce u make with meat and unripe baby bananas... I remember I use dto love it back in Nairobi...