Sign in to follow this  
Hibo

Exactly who here is a Londoner?

Jamaal: It's clear you can't stay away from ur people, therefore you love ur lil niche in Southall. In Canada, I believe its equivalent to a place called Dixon. Nothing wrong with that.

I love travelling and I have yet to discover London. Thanks for the promotion guys (shaqsii & mujahid n' the rest). I already know most Somalis just prefer to stay in their own lil community n' feel comfortable n' be lazy!! Therefore, I don't intend to stay with family just because of this fact. Why am I goin to be a bother n' expect pple to take me around when I can take care of myself! Which brings me to my questions:

1) What's the transportation like over there? I like buses n' trains...do they run frequent, are they reliable, efficient.....etc?

2) Is Downtown London safe? Which neighborhood should I watch out for....ehem Southall?? Kidding Jamaal.

3) Does the city sleep at 7pm? LOL. Im use to cities like Toronto or NYC ( the city that never sleeps).

I'll have more q's when my visit to London nears.

Later Nomads~~

Haashim   

thanks sis. Tamina, to answer your questions,

1-Although the local transport in london is a one of the worst in Europe, you can stiil manage to adopt it, because we are nomads, but don't expect as toronto or small villages in canada. ;)

2-About where u want to stay don't worry much about that because i'm sure there are many nomad londoners who are ready to host you including myself, just tell us when u want to visit and we are ready to welcome you sis.

3-your last quiestion is as you predicted london never sleeps redface.gif .

If u have any enquires please don't hesitate to ask real londoners who u can see their profiles that they are from LONDON smile.gif

LACNADI HA KU DHACDO DAALIMIINTA, LAAKIIN KUWA KA AAMUSAN MAXAAN NIRAAHNAA

HONEY-D   

LEGEND

1) FLYING CARPETS HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM LETS IF I CAN GET HOLD OF ALADIN I'M SURE HE'LL BE HONORED TO HELP. :D

2) SHINING SWORDS I CAN GET THEM IN NO TIME TRUST ME I'VE BEEN 2 ROBENHOOD'S MUSEUM AND I WAS SHOWN WHERE THEY KEEP ALL THE STUFF. ( WHO SAID ANYTHING ABOUT STEALING BORROWING IS DA WORD. :cool:

3) HAND MADE JUMPER DO I LOOK LIKE THE TYPE! WAT THE HECK I'LL SEE WAT I CAN DO. ;)

I HOPE UR SATIESFIED, NOW U'VE GOT EVERYTHING U'VE ASKED FOR. :mad:

Paragon   

Originally posted by Tami-gurl;

"2) Is Downtown London safe? Which neighborhood should I watch out for....ehem Southall?? Kidding Jamaal."

Well, i must tell you that Southall is safe, atleast safe from NF(National Front) or BnP but surely you will see indian thugs calling themselves "wassup dawg!" ;)

PS: Southall itself needs a guide, so ask the X-Part

Salaan...

London is greaaaaat!!!!

I hope I am forgiven for what I had written earlier regarding the GREAT-GREAT-GREAT city of London. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Am I forgiven now, London crew?

And noo, that Blair Witch guy hadn't paid me any pound2.gif to advertise it.

Jamaal, Southall was great. But, do you really live there? Aw, it stinks. Oobis, I meant it is... :D But, it got a great masaajid there.

Macsalaama!!

I though this was a thread to find out who is a londoner?, but where are all these anti londoners from? ;) easy on the hate especically those who have yet not had the pleasure to experience it for themseleves.

London is like any other city, it comes with all the great vibes of a city and all the downfalls prone to a major city.

Experience of the london life depends on your tourist guide...so choose wisely smile.gif

Faheema.   

Maybe it's because I'ma Londoner

Maybe you're a Londoner (if you recognise many of these symptoms)...

 You say "the city" and expect everyone to know which one you mean.

 You secretly envy cabbies for their driving skill, until you go to Tokyo.

 You have never been to The Tower or Madame Tussauds but love Brighton.

 You can get into a four-hour argument about how to get from Shepherds Bush to Elephant & Castle at 3:30 on the Friday before a long weekend, but you can't find Dorset on a map.

 Hookers and the homeless are invisible.

 The Tube makes sense.

 The Tube should never be called anything prissy, like the Metro/Subway.

 You believe that being able to swear at people in their own language makes you multi-lingual.

 You've considered stabbing someone just for saying "The Big Smoke."

 Your door has more than three locks.

 You go to a Football game for the fighting. In the stands. To participate.

 Your favourite movie has Hugh Grant in it.

 The most frequently used part of your car is the horn.

 You consider eye contact an act of overt aggression.

 You call an 8' x 10' plot of patchy grass a garden.

 You complain about having to mow it.

 You consider Essex the "countryside"

 You think Hyde Park is "nature."

 You see nothing odd about the speed of an auctioneer's speaking.

 You're paying £1,200 a month for a studio the size of a walk-in wardrobe and you think it's a " bargain."

 Shopping in suburban supermarkets and shopping malls gives you a severe attack of agoraphobia.

 You've been to Tooting twice and got hopelessly lost both times.

 You pay more each month to park your car than most people in the U.K. pay in rent.

 You haven't seen more than twelve stars in the night sky since you went camping as a kid.

 You own hiking boots and a 4WD vehicle, neither of which have ever touched dirt.

 You go to dinner at 9 and head out to the clubs when most people are heading to bed.

 Your wardrobe is filled with black clothes.

 You scoff at zone 4 crowd even though you were raised in a farm town with a population of 57.

 You actually take fashion seriously.

 Being truly alone makes you nervous.

 You have 27 different menus next to your telephone.

 The UK west of Heathrow is still theoretical to you.

 You're suspicious of strangers who are actually nice to you.

 You haven't cooked a meal since helping mum last Eid with the Casuumad.

 You take a taxi to get to your health club to exercise.

 Your idea of personal space is no one actually standing on your toes.

 £50 worth of groceries fit in one paper bag.

 You have a minimum of five "worst cab ride ever" stories.

 You don't hear sirens anymore.

 You've mentally blocked out all thoughts of the city's air quality and what it's doing to your lungs.

 You live in a building with a larger population than most towns.

 Your cleaner is Russian, your grocer is Korean, your deli man is Israeli, your landlord is Italian, your laundry guy is Chinese, your favourite bartender is Irish, your favourite restaurant owner is Greek, the watchseller on your corner is Senegalese, your last cabbie was Pakistani, your newsagent is Indian and your favourite falafel guy is Egyptian.

 You wouldn't want to live anywhere else - until you get married.

Taraa..

Sophist   

Salaams,

The qualification of being a Londoner needs to be defined first. I reside in London but I would definitely not be allowed to be cocooned in such description.

Jamal you are having me on or is this a genuine thing! Most of part of what some deem to be west of London falls under that infectious semi sexual sounding "MIDDLESEX" side mate, consequently what is beyond Ealing is not London!. And did I see you write garage? Since when did you frequented such dens mate! Uuh we are not what we project to be I say@lol

Shaqsi, I am sure The mayor would be elated for you to be on his tourist board! Those were true felt suggestions! Drop him an email mate, you will never know. I was told that they are looking for an ethnic who can attract the hip people to what london can offer to them

Athena: You see, this shows you haven’t lived in London WC? Most Somalis this means Leicester Square and god knows what that place is like!. I am sure Barwaaqo can take you to one of her hiding places and trust me you shall enjoy it (

Obviously I am speaking from theory here)

Mujahid: Woow, what can I say; Has Has Boora bored you my dear boy! Blokes from there were always easy to be bored mate@lol

I shall leave with that famous quote: He who gets tired of London gets tired of Life.

Thus Spake the Old Nomad

Coloow   

London! The worst city that I have lived in. I remember coming to london in the late eigthies and most somalis lived in the east of the country. By that time Ealing Broadway was the end of the outpost in the west.

But nowadays you could find somalis in middlesex and sussex.......

But I enjoy visiting people in southall (sood-hool) and wembley (WAN BELEY).

If any of you ever visits southall, pay a visit to the somali bookshop off the broadway. (I think the people who own it are not only idealists but good entrepreneurs).

And you could perhaps catch a glimpse of a hijabified woman or two who smoke ...or a few qaaci houses worth paying a visit to. smile.gif

Aslaama Alaykum

AFTER 5 PAGES (im slow)

I'M A LONDONER,HAPPY 2 B A LONDONER, AND I LOVE LONDON SO!

for the record, i hate south hall, like wembly, love edgeware.

central london is the place to see (2 the foreigners)

lol shayma, um....some (almost all) of that is true. I'm a londoner, wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Been here 14 yrs, I live in the west, and southall isn't that bad. Especially on eid when all muslims take over!

Whoever has had a bad experiance of london, was due to company and not location aite.

come and see what the big deal is all about.

N. smile.gif

london town! aye!

i was stuck there one time at the airport for about 11 hrs...cuz of a strike!!!!i tried to call my cuz there! i dialed the wrong# and some dude answered the phone who told me that he was in the tub! i replied plz dont drop the soap! and hanged up!

all think about london! is jack the reper!