Sign in to follow this  
Goonle

How many of u, especially men, are concerned about Obesity among somali women.

Goonle   

Obesity among somali women especially child bearers has become an epidemic. Many times it becomes very difficult to live with a person whom perspires too often and cost more to feed than the entire family. Any input on how we can curb this phenominal increase of somali women with weight problems.

Haddad   

I am only concerned about those women in the West (US, Europe, possibly Australia). The environment & atmosphere in Somalia doesn't help one to get obese. As how it can be curbed; limit significantly red meat, fat & oil consumptions, while increasing fruits, veggies and seafood. Also, exercise for 30 minutes/day, at least by walking.

HeHe.

Actually I am a little worried about the anorexic, gaunt, skeleton looking brothers running around.

Surely, someone has to love this bony and haggard fellas, and who does it have to be?, yap you guessed it; a fat

delicious Xalimo.

Yessir,Buoyh;Opposites indeed do attract.

icon_razz.gif

And No,I dont have probs with the Full figured xalimos

Jacpher   

Obesity among somali women especially child bearers has become an epidemic. Many times it becomes very difficult to live with a person whom perspires too often and cost more to feed than the entire family.

Is this a study? Or just your observation/opinion? If so mind to provide the source. Obesity is everyone's concern not only Somali women.

Very true Haddad, Apart from that there is myth that needs to be eliminated the notion that the mother to be has to eat for two. Which in our culture you find the mothers/mother in law over feeding the mother to be. She should eat nutrient rich food(quality) but the increase of quantity is an increased burden to her health and a risk ro herself and childs wellbeing.(Risk of diabetes,Hypertension, premature labour, difficult labour if the babies to big...)

Its healthy for a pregnant woman not to add more than 10 extra kilos during her pregnancy.

What measures men can take? Make sure you walk every evening with your wife, tell her to cut down the cravings(coca cola, and other junk food)advocate healthy eating, explain to her the importance of healthy weight gaining the adverse effect it can cause her n her child. Read books on this issue and discuss, well she is ur soul mate uve got to communicate.Need to be very supportive as she is going through a hard time.

And dont forget spiritual guidance, remind her of her obligations to the child she is bearing so she stops complaining and overfeeding herself, instead increase her dhikr.

Haddad   

Originally posted by Warrior of Light:

Make sure you walk every evening with your wife, tell her to cut down the cravings(coca cola, and other junk food)advocate healthy eating, explain to her the importance of healthy weight gaining the adverse effect it can cause her n her child. Read books on this issue and discuss, well she is ur soul mate uve got to communicate.Need to be very supportive as she is going through a hard time.

And dont forget spiritual guidance, remind her of her obligations to the child she is bearing so she stops complaining and overfeeding herself, instead increase her dhikr.

Those are practical positive measures.

Miriam1   

Firstly to date, I havent seen an obese somali woman in the sense, that she had a walker or was unable to take walk on her own. There are Fat/Big/Overwieght/Large (watever ur term is) there and this is a personal individualistic matter.

Second, *fat* people, dont eat food all the time niether do they prespire uncontrablly. Tis very childish to assume that.Actually people who prespire too much have an actual medical problem, skinny or fat.

Thirdly, what intitaves can be take. I believe Wol has already mentioned the most pratical forms. Positive reinforcement is important. Many housewives tend to overeat as a form of satisfaction and calming themselves down when stressed. So when excerise is very important and external support is needed. You have to allow your wife, sister, anut or whoever to understand that her thinking should change.

By that I mean. That she has to not only learn all over again how to eat properbly but inturn also find other forms of outlet for emotions and frustrations.

This can be done only by the person in the situation.

I really hope that your not speaking of your own wife...(how depressing)

Haddad   

Originally posted by Afromali:

Any ideas on how to get these "practical and postive measures", into actions?

Genuine commitment & concern for your spouse should get you into action(s).

OLOL   

My abti has this sexist joke about his female relatives whenever there is Sab or family gathering -

"they don't get satiated and will keep munching until they get tired."

obesity is a disease and unforunately Somalis still don't realize that fact.

Originally posted by Afromali:

Any ideas on how to get these "practical and postive measures", into actions?

Marriage is a sacrifice and having children is the toughest period ever. When a spouse gets pregnant the husband has a duty to his wife nevertheless, depends on your ideals and aspirations you have made with your wife as in how you want your family to be raised.

Can give u an example may seem far fetched but know of few committed families, Mashallah.

Alfajr husband wakes up, goes to the mosque with his kids, comes back, the children read Quraan in the morning. Chance for dad to know how far his children have reached in their religious knowledge. Then preparation for work or school continues n family breakfast. Hubby& wife leave for work children go to school. In the afternoon family mets n have dinner around maghrib. Childrens homework supervised either by mum or dad. Family chitchat, kids head 2 bed by 8pm latest 9pm. Remaining time Mum n dads time to talk/sleep/ finish work. As for weekends more time can be allocated for the family.

Wife is pregnant changes are made, husband is home before maghrib as usual goes for a walk with wife, returns after swalah, reads the Quraan to his wife, its not for her but mostly for the child 2 b born to hear n learn from his father(we now know that scientist proved that in utero babies hear)and also a chance for the wife to relax. Mother during the day does her household chores(that is if she aint working) and also invokes Allahs blessing.

Anyway all comes down to commitment and your ideals.You can up with another arrangement what is important is to have a balanced lifestyle which allows changes doesnt affect the families dynamics.One way or the other we all want a harmonious way of life.

Hayam,

I agree with you on finding other outlets to release their stress.

OLOL,

You have a point obesity is a disease which is hard to curb once passed the limit. We need to educate and encourage our people more on adopting a healthy lifestyle.

Originally posted by Goonle:

Obesity among somali women especially child bearers has become an epidemic. Many times it becomes very difficult to live with a person whom perspires too often and cost more to feed than the entire family. Any input on how we can curb this phenominal increase of somali women with weight problems.

^lol...Damn, many xalimoos thought i was unkind to me!! and i tellya for damn reason!! cuz, i know personally, i spoil them to the core!!

homie! u r in a league now...only couple guys made it to this league... i say that u r an Ace of Diamond in this club!!.. watch out know... they tracking yah!! solution will be not to feed her offcourse!!

elder xalimos use to eat left overs her husband and kids leave for her... hence, they were skinny!! nowaday!! u be lucky... if u wake up in time at nite when she pours vanilla on you thinking that your a chocolate cake while u sleeping!! YUR!! ITS A JOKE!! :D

obesity & xalimoos!! ^lol....never heard of it!! ;) ( i do wanna live a long life)...it aint my problem. i just dont go out with her in the public....what! u gotta a problem w/that!! i dont..

:confused:

Nada   

The way you phrased your questions is very provocative, you make the wife sound like a swiming pool or the electricity bill a nuisance that comes out of your pocket....perspire, cost more to feed?...Well in answer to those questions I would answer, sucks for you!! that you have to live with her and sucks for you you can't afford her smile.gif

Most Xalimos are busy running around...cooking,cleaning,working,school,kids and such...Most of us are always on the go.So the exercise part is already taken care of.Our metabolism is pretty good overall....But if you eat alot just before you sleep then you have problems I guess....