Sign in to follow this  
Peacenow

Niall Ferguson Leaves Wife for Somali Intellectual

Castro   

Originally posted by BiLaaL:

quote:Originally posted by Raamsade:

She's a NY Times Best Seller (no small feat by any stretch), invited as honorary speaker to some of the most prestigious institutions of higher learning in the world and was named 100 Most Influential People by Time Magazine. By every objective measure, she qualifies as public intellectual.

Mightn't it occur to you that her literary success is down largely to her views on Islam? There are enough Islamophobiacs out there to turn any publication critical of Islam into an overnight best seller. It is a matter of numbers. It is a no-brainer.
It's certainly the case that even the likes of Sarah Palin are NY Times best selling "authors" so the bar isn't set very high. Ayaan Hirsi isn't a dummy but calling her an intellectual is a bit of a stretch. Still, the deeper question is why are so many in the world misunderstanding and even hating Islam and Muslims? Just as importantly, why are many Muslims almost psychotically defensive when Islam is criticized in anyway?

Originally posted by Raamsade:

She's a NY Times Best Seller (no small feat by any stretch), invited as honorary speaker to some of the most prestigious institutions of higher learning in the world and was named 100 Most Influential People by Time Magazine. By every objective measure, she qualifies as public intellectual.

Lauren Conrad (the girl from MTV's the Hills) is a NY Times Best Seller. Zac Efron (the pretty guy from Disney's High School Musical) was also named 100 Most Influential People by the Time Magazine. Anna Wintour (editor-in-chief of Vogue) has been invited as honorary speaker to some of the most prestigious institutions of higher learning in the world. My friend @ Oxford had her last semester.

It's great to see how you confuse fame with intellectualism. I think to you intelligent is whatever happens to be most popular at the moment. And islam bashing certainly is the hippest thing to do these days.

But she's more than. She's a much needed socioreligious critic.

The only religion she seems to be critizicing is Islam. That just makes her an islamophobe, plain & simple.

People like her have served an indispensable role in all the developed countries today.

By writing ghastly "art" films?

No society in history has made progress without first exercising self-criticism of its core assumptions and deepest held believes.

How about excercising honesty? She lied her way into the Dutch society and into the hearts of the Dutch people, yet hypocritically opposed immigration.

In another life, people like Ayaan were burned at the stake.

In another life, people like Ayan would have not been allowed in the country in the first place. She'd have been burnt at the stake, but most likely for being Muslim.

The whole ayaan hirsi saga is a reflection of the backwardness of Muslims. She's entirely innocent bystander.

You can call her whatever you like; innocent, lawyer, intellectual... But the sad fact is, this is just a woman who found fame by abusing Islam. She sold herself the same way as reality TV stars sell themselves; by sharing their (water coloured) lifestories and backbiting.

Don't rape the word "intellectual".

NASSIR   

Originally posted by Abtigiis & Tusbax:

Yaa ilaahay yaqaan oon gabadhan ugu ducaynaa oo soo hanuunin kara!

Schooled (not educated) Somali women and their arrogance. Ilaah ha soo hanuuniyo.

Horta gabdhaheena caanka ah ee reer Puntland walee naaga badan waa la tageen.

Ayaan's real cousin is a SOL member but I won't reveal. :D

Rayyan   

Originally posted by 2+2=5:

It's great to see how you confuse fame with intellectualism. I think to you intelligent is whatever happens to be most popular at the moment. And islam bashing certainly is the hippest thing to do these days.

It's a job without interview, you can boost your self-esteem and earn great deal of wealth, just enlist to be a sidekick,and a mouthpiece for recycling the rubbish. pick up where the Adelmans, Perelmans and Ramsfields left,obviously it became too boring for them, SO there must be a commoner to do this job, Ms Hirsi stands out, neck and shoulders above the rest, so let her go round and round.

Don't rape the word "intellectual"

lol the quote of the week

You know it would be perfectly fine if she negatively judged Islam on something concrete, but her accusations are largely against Somalis, Arabs, Pakistanis, Turks etc and THEIR unislamic backward cultural practices. If she was a genuine 'intellectual' she would have separated culture from religion. Honour killings are unislamic, valuing a womans virginty more than a man's is unislamic, female genital mutilation is unislamic...we could go on forever. The woman thinks that Islam began and ended in Wahabbiville Eastleigh in Nairobi.

Raamsade   

Mightn't it occur to you that her literary success is down largely to her views on Islam?

So? What's wrong with that?

While on the subject, I do sincerely hope that people buy her books based on her views on Islam. If for no other reason, her views mirror reality.

There are enough Islamophobiacs out there to turn any publication critical of Islam into an overnight best seller. It is a matter of numbers. It is a no-brainer.

There is no such thing as "Islamophobia." At least not on the part of people like Ayaan Hirsi who face death for apostasy. Phobia has the connotation of irrational or unjustifiable fear of something. Rest assured, she's not "imagining" the desire of many Muslims to see her dead like Theo Van Gogh.

And any ideas as to why "publication critical of Islam turn into an overnight best sellers?"

Raamsade   

It's great to see how you confuse fame with intellectualism. I think to you intelligent is whatever happens to be most popular at the moment.

I'm always struck by your inability to never miss an opportunity to firmly put your foot in your mouth.

Your line of argument boils down to: women have two hands and men have two hands, therefore men and women are of the same sex. In logic it is called the Fallacy of Division. What's true for the whole is not necessarily true for its constituents.

Just because some became NY Times best sellers for their fame as opposed to their intellects, it doesn't necessarily follow that all them were best sellers for fame. My contention is Ayan Hirsi is NY Times best seller because she has something substantive to share.

The only religion she seems to be critizicing is Islam.

Why should she? No other religion calls for her murder as an apostate. Only Islam does.

How about excercising honesty? She lied her way into the Dutch society and into the hearts of the Dutch people, yet hypocritically opposed immigration.

There is nothing hypocritical about an immigrant opposing immigration. Had you actually presented her reasoning and critiqued them, I might actually take your quibble seriously. Alas, you have a knack for habitually missing the target.

Secondly, she did tell a little white lie about her full name but it is quite a stretch to say she lied into the hearts of the Dutch people. After all, her full name and her history was on public record long before she became famous or ran for a seat in parliament.

But the sad fact is, this is just a woman who found fame by abusing Islam. She sold herself the same way as reality TV stars sell themselves; by sharing their (water coloured) lifestories and backbiting.

This is your own prejudiced opinion of Ayaan. And I won't mince words, your animosity towards her has absolutely NOTHING to do with her "lies" but the fact that she's an apostate and formidable critic of Islamic terrorism, fanaticism and absolutism.

Your religion instructs you to murder her, you can't be expected to pass a fair judgment on her.

AYOUB   

quote:

No society in history has made progress without first exercising self-criticism of its core assumptions and deepest held believes.

She is a lier?

Just because some became NY Times best sellers for their fame as opposed to their intellects, it doesn't necessarily follow that all them were best sellers for fame. My contention is Ayan Hirsi is NY Times best seller because she has something substantive to share.

Well that is certainly not how you put it. What "substantive" something does she have to share, exactly? You just went on to say she did this and that and that as if those things alone made her "intellectual", and I proved you that just because someone is a New York Times best seller or was named 100 most influential people by "Time" magazine doesn't necessarily mean they are "intellectual". Difficulty to grasp this?

Why should she? No other religion calls for her murder as an apostate. Only Islam does.

Nope. The holy Quran very clearly says: "Let there be no compulsion in religion" (2:256)

You are just as ill-informed as she is. And you're both atheists. Is it any wonder.

There is nothing hypocritical about an immigrant opposing immigration.

An immigrant who entered the country with lies? And who subsequently was banished from the very same country because of her lying?

"Secondly, she did tell a little white lie about her full name

Just full name? What do you even know about her? You are just defending her as an excuse to attack islam on these boards. You never take part in any discussion unless it gives you a reason to bad-mouth islam.

And I won't mince words, your animosity towards her has absolutely NOTHING to do with her "lies" but the fact that she's an apostate and formidable critic of Islamic terrorism, fanaticism and absolutism.

Oh yeah, like you know what goes on in my head. :rolleyes:

Raamsade   

What "substantive" something does she have to share, exactly?

Well, off the top of my head, here is some of her valid criticisms of Islam:

-FGM and the role Islam plays in perpetuating it

-Punishments for apostasy, adultery, theft

-Political Islam and violence that often accompanies it

-Discrimination against unbelievers

-Gender inequality etc

... all are legitimate issues that deserve serious consideration, not invectives and death threats.

Nope. The holy Quran very clearly says: "Let there be no compulsion in religion" (2:256)

You are just as ill-informed as she is.

Am I misinformed or are you really flirting kufr?

Capital punishment for Apostasy is prescribed by all schools of Sunni Islamic Jurisprudence (Hanafi, Shaafici, Hanbali and Maliki) as well as Shia schools of jurisprudence. Mohammed said "he who changes his religion, kill him." He also remarked in another hadith that the blood of a Muslim can only be spilled under three conditions: apostasy, murder and adultery.

Islam is not Quran only. It is also hadiths, ijma of the culima and historical precedents set by authoritative figures like Rasihduun Khalifs.

By saying "nope," you're essentially saying prophet Mohammed didn't know what he was talking about and the ijma of the culima is not worth the paper is written on. Those are grounds of apostasy.

So I implore with you to reconsider.

You are just defending her as an excuse to attack islam on these boards. You never take part in any discussion
unless
it gives you a reason to bad-mouth islam.

I don't need to "attack Islam." True blue Muslims are doing fine job of giving Islam and other muslims a bad name as is.

Tuujiye   

^^^ I feel sorry for you sxb... iinsha allah ilaaheey wuu kusoo hanuunin doonaa oo qalbigaan madoow kaa dhaqi doono...

I really think that you hate Islam and it does bother you markaad aragtid qof muslim ah oo faraxsan...

FGM is a culture ractice not Islam

-Punishments for apostasy, adultery, theft..if we don't punish people who do such things then what do you suggest? Islam is not Al-shabaab actions duqa!

-Political Islam and violence that often accompanies it?????? again Raamsade maxaad aragtaa saaxiib?

-Discrimination against unbelievers.. again you saying things with out looking at the true Islam..we said to the non believers "lakum diinakum waliya diin" Muslims and non Muslim always lives side by side saaxiib...

-Gender inequality etc..... Again Islam gave woman more freedom than any other faith..but I guess the person that made you a gaal thought different..did they teach you when woman in the United States got the freedom to even Vote?

Raamsade please next time you feel like attacking Islam, come with some facts...go to your teachers and get some real facts about our faith..or better yet, just leave it alone! we got the point already ok you don't believe Islam!

Wareer Badanaa!!!

Raamsade, from an ATHEIST point of view: what is the difference between female & male circumcision? Think about that and Ms Ali's obsession with female circumcision (wouldn't wanna upset those Jewish employers and get banished from the US too) "Intellectual" ** ***.

The Quran does not call for the death of apostates. Quite the contrary, and whenever a hadith is in direct conflict with the Quran, hadith loses. It is as simple as that.

What comes to Ayan though, she is not simply an apostate who simply does not believe in Allah (swt) and His last messenger (sas). She is in war with Islam. She is engaging in hostile actions against Islam and Muslims and knowingly passing off lies, accusations / engaging in propaganda against Islam. That's not an apostate, that's an enemy. Did you get that? And for someone like her, if there was an Islamic country and if she was in one and if she still was able to project and broadcast that scale of islam-bashing and propaganda in that said Islamic country (which lets be honest, is frankly impossible), could be punished anything from EXILE to death. But discussing death penalty for Ayan Hirsi Ali who did all this in a non-Islamic country with the help of the Western media, is not only impossible and completely irrelevant to the subject of apostasy in Islam, it is something only foes of Islam engage in, in order to project and satisfy more of their blind hatred of Islam.

Which actually leads me to you. I think what you are doing in these forums is not "engaging in debates" anymore. I think you are abusing your membership to actively engage in propaganda against Islam.

Johnny B is an apostate and the kind of apostate this board should have (if any), in my honest opinion. Sure, he may not believe in Islam, but who cares? At least he is respectful and pleasant.

This world does not need any more enemies of Islam under the pretense of "intellectualism". People who are just really the offsprings of the influence of Christianity and who are subconsciously crusading. Because that's what you're doing: you are on a personal crusade. You are a foe. And I've personally had it with your lies, sheer ignorance and continuing hostility against Muslims. The admin should wise up regarding you.

^ I think your mistaken about Johnny.

waraabaha kan ciya .. waxa ka daran kan aamusa.

Johhny may act freindly but he has the same goals/intentinos as the gaal you are replying to.

Johnny even has recrutied unwitting mouthpieces who he can egg on their anti-islam tirade i.e Lazy.G

he is more of a menace I think.